Masthead spinnaker block

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Farmer Wayne

Masthead spinnaker block

Post by Farmer Wayne »

I am looking for directions and or photos for installing a masthead spinnaker block on my TY weekender. I am concerned about the screws or rivets rubbing on the main hallard. Any tips, sizes, or other info would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
Farmer Wayne
ariasis

Re: Masthead spinnaker block

Post by ariasis »

Your halyard should be internal so you should not have any rubbing. Next time I get down to the boat I'll get the rino lens on my camera and take some photos for you. The mast is up already for e season but I can probably get some good shots from he ground.
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
Farmer Wayne

Post by Farmer Wayne »

Chris,

The concerns I am having with the halliard is how close is it to the front of the mast and how far down from the top should I drill the holes.
Then there is the question,, screws or pop. Anyhooo, any pictures or suggestions will be of great value.

Thanks
Farmer Wayne
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I installed the spinnaker block at the mast head by using the pin for the fore stay. No new holes required and it gets it as high as possible. You just need to work out some toggles but there is room in the mast head fitting for this to work, Steve.
Farmer Wayne

Post by Farmer Wayne »

Steve

I am not sure of what you are telling me. The TY weekender is a fractional rig so the fore stay does not connect at the masthead.
Thanks
Farmer Wayne
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I'm sorry, it has been a while since I have sailed the Ty. I used the fore stay pin and had a fractional spinnaker. On Raven I mounted a bail on the top of the mast head fitting by drilling and tapping it. That might work on the Ty as well if you want to go to the mast head, Steve.
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

Here are a few pictures.
DSCN0440.JPG
DSCN0442.JPG
DSCN0432.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sincerely,

Chris B.

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
Farmer Wayne

Post by Farmer Wayne »

Chris,
Thanks for the photos, now I have enough info to get myself in trouble
Farmer Wayne
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

Enjoy!
Sincerely,

Chris B.

gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

I'm finally getting roller furling for my CD 27, Katie Girl, and as we get into the real "dawg days" of summer on the Chesapeake it occurred to me that I ought to think about an asymmetrical spinnaker. This won't be done anytime soon since I've poured out quite a few "boat units" this year already. Nonetheless, I've started thinking about, nobody ever accuses me of not employing long range planning (others, my wife, might say day dreaming!)

I'm particularly interested in how/where to install a spinnaker halyard block since the 27 is not a fractional rig.

Thanks!
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
rjnale
Location: 1982 CD Typhoon Daysailer "Typhoon Mary" Hull #97 model K Syracuse NY

Post by rjnale »

Cliff,
I think Steve's idea would work since you mention the 27 isn't a fractional rig.
I have a Typhoon Daysailer which is a masthead rig that came with a Gennacker.
On my masthead crane the forward pin is the Gennacker halyard block and the second pin is the fore stay.
I attached a diagram similar to my masthead without the anchor light.
I hope it helps.
Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.