West Marine "scoop" anchors

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jen1722terry

West Marine "scoop" anchors

Post by jen1722terry »

Hey sailors!

Like Jim W., we've been contemplating getting a heavier, more modern plow-type anchor for our bow roller.
We presently us an old 25# CQR for light duty, and a large Fortress for bad weather.

While shopping for anchors, we noticed that West Marine now sells their own plow-type anchor, the scoop anchor, in galvanized at very competitive prices (1/2 to 1/3 the cost of name competitors.

I emailed West for manufacturing details and any anchor test data (if they have it), as well as materials thicknesses. We'll see what they send me and I'll be sure to share.

Happy spring outfitting!

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
jen1722terry

Re: West Marine "scoop" anchors

Post by jen1722terry »

Hello again,

I received the following message from West Marine about the new anchors. If they test them against other modern anchor styles, they may be good, cost effective solution for folks like us who cruise in areas where anchor loss is not uncommon.

"The country that these scop anchors are made in is New Zealand and they are specially made for West Marine. The only spec on the steel that was given is that it is a high-strength alloy steel with hot-dipped galvanized finish. We do have the dimensions of the 35lb scoop anchor which is 22" Width x 14" Height x 30 5/16" Length, but not the thickness. And currently trhere are no field test records that I can see about this anchor versus any other one that we sell."

Hope this helps!

Maureen Biondo

West Marine Product Advisor
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
bgephart

Re: West Marine "scoop" anchors

Post by bgephart »

After reading your latest note, I Googled "New Zealand Scoop anchor" and got the following website:
http://www.offshoreblue.com/safety/anchor-new.php

It presents a nice review of various "modern" anchors. If you get down to the last design discussed at this site, there is a link to compare various Manson Anchors - if you go there it shows the West Marine Scoop Anchor alongside the other designs. You might find it interesting / helpful.