How to test Mast lights when the mast is down

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

dgsail
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 26, Hull 50, Bridget, Montrose Harbor, ChicagoOriginal Owner

How to test Mast lights when the mast is down

Post by dgsail »

I take my mast down each year when I store the boat in her cradle outside in the yard. I do have access to electric and water there. In the spring, when I raise the mast, sometimes the lights work and sometimes not. After replacing the bulbs and checking the fuses, is there a way I can check the wiring when the mast is down to see if the lights are in working order? I have a CD 26, 1986, so the wiring is original and may at some point need to be replaced. How difficult and lengthy of a job is this for a non-electrical expert?
Debbie Garrity
Jim Walsh

Re: How to test Mast lights when the mast is down

Post by Jim Walsh »

Use a 12 volt battery (if you have a lawn tractor or a motorcycle battery they are much lighter than a car battery) and attach a wire to each terminal. Stick the wire into your connection at the base of the mast. This is what most yards do before they raise your mast as a matter of routine.
You can also use a multimeter to measure the resistance of the bulbs but this won't inform you that there is a break in one of the wires that run in the mast.
I only know the bare essentials when it comes to electricity so perhaps a real electrician can provide a more safe and/or simple method.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Steve Bryant
"Elan"
Ocean Springs, MS

Post by Steve Bryant »

dgsail,

You can also use a 12v lantern battery to check the mast lights or any other 12v circuit. I purchased one at Ace Hardware, but they carry them at Walmart and Radio Shack also. They come in handy for testing anything that requires 12 volts.

Good Luck,
Attachments
12v Lantern Battery.jpg
12v Lantern Battery.jpg (15.08 KiB) Viewed 379 times
Steve Bryant
"Elan" 1981 CD25 #815
swhfire21

Post by swhfire21 »

On a related note, is there anyway to test a radio antenna while the mast is down?
Steve
Pleasant Journey, Morgan 35
Previously:
'85 CD 26, Hull No. 30
'74 Typhoon Hull No. 789
Great Bay/Little Egg Harbor, NJ
dgsail
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 26, Hull 50, Bridget, Montrose Harbor, ChicagoOriginal Owner

Post by dgsail »

The 12 volt lantern battery and the "how the boat yards do it" is very helpful. Thank you!
Debbie Garrity
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

re: testing a radio antenna. Not so easy. You can use a meter to check for shorts and opens, but the best way is to invest in a SWR meter-

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GNVJ8IU?psc=1

$50. It tells you how well the signal is passing to the antenna and will provide the best results short of getting on 16 and getting everyone bent while asking for a radio check.

Well greased connections, good solder on the connectors goes a long ways for antennas.

If you use a motorcycle battery, or bigger, put a fuse on the test wires! 5A will keep things in check.