CD in Europe

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

arthur76

CD in Europe

Post by arthur76 »

Hi all CD enthousiast out there,

I am new to this forum, so i will share a little of what i am doing here. ;) I live in Europe so i just only saw a CD 30 in person wich had acrossed the atlantic.. since that time i cant stop thinking off such boat (prob a CD 31, but less built i read allready or a CD 33)
I sail a 34ft boat now, mostly single en since i cant get the CD out of my head i am looking for ways to own such great looking boat.
Biggest problem offcoarse is distance. How to get one here, i don't see myself sail across the atlantic.. but prob another thinks different about that. Transport on carrier vessel is prob too expensive i think, if i include al custom taxes and other payments.
Maybe here someone knows a CD in europe, i know its a long shot... or some owner wants to across the atlantic ;)

Also i try to gather information about what are the weak points of these boats, what too look for and what not. As said i prefer a CD31 or 33. Also i am not sure if the total length mentioned on several sites include the boomspirit. And what mastheight is because of the bridges here.
Also like to get in (private) contact with owners of such CD's. Please feel free to contact me.

So i am looking forward to all your suggestions, also apologize for perhaps bad english.

Best rgds and happy sailing Arthur
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Re: CD in Europe

Post by Warren Kaplan »

First of all Arthur you don't need to apologize for your English. I (and many others here I'd bet) speak only one language. You speak at least two. So maybe I should apologize to you because you can't use your native language here.

I looked on Yachtworld for CD 31-33. There are only 12 for sale and they are all in North America. I don't know of any other sites but maybe you know some to look at.

Good luck in your search.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

Hello, Arthur,

I agree that your English is much, much better than my awful French!

A couple of ideas:

There are many websites that list delivery captains, which may be a less expensive way to get a Cape Dory to Europe.

Also, we have the CD 31 and love it. It's 9 inches wider than the 30, which makes a big difference. We also love the roomier aft head at the foot of the companionway ladder - great for hanging wet follies.

Just our opinion.

Good luck with your search and we'd all be delighted to welcome you to the CD owners association,

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
arthur76

Post by arthur76 »

Hi all,

Thanks for the response, its allready more than i hoped. I know a lot of people are always sceptic about guys from abroad asking questions ;)

The idea of a delivery captain also crossed my head, but probably its better to find a captain (if i succeed) from The US. Can you give me any sites of directions to ask some quotes and see from there if that can be an option.
Or even better find a CD for sale, and the owner would love to take it a last time over the Altlantic, or meet half way :)

I know the yachtworld site and others, there always seem to be a few 33 for sale on the northcoast. A 31 is a much harder find i guess, but 1 for sale now.
Can anyone tell me the mastheight of the 31 compared to the 33, i sail mostly on freshwater and have to pass some bridges.
Also i like the 31 interior a bit more because of the toilet next to entrance. But this will not give definitive choice between 31 or 33. I have read that the 33 is a better sailer?
As said i am a solo sailor so thats too keep in mind too, the 34ft ship i sail now is just a bitt to big for inland sailing and handling. So i hesitate about a CD 33. Also its hard to imagine because never seen a CD 31/33 real, how strange that may sound to some and still have such desire to own one.

Than some general questions, CD are a special breed of boats i suppose. Does this mean most owners spend more time and money in their CD than is usual for american boat owners? The 2 times i've been in the states i saw a lot of bad looked after boats. Some guy told me that in the US peolple just buy a new boat and dont spend money in old stuff, is this true?
Also here in Europe the sailboat market is in a recession still, not economic. But a lot of sailors reach the age of leaving sailing and there a just a few youngster that fill the gap. So a lot for sale (no CD :( ) and its not unusual to see boats sold for 30% (or more) below asking price. Can anyone give me an idea how the american boat market is / works?

Thanks again for your replys, and PM i got so far. its highly appreciated. Hope to hear again and look forward to a good relationship with this CD board.

Cheers Arthur
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Arthur,

The mast height for a CD 33 is 46.5 feet or about 14.2 meters. Maybe someone can chime in here with the mast height of a 31 but my best guess from the sail plan would be about 1.25 meters less. But I am completely guessing.

If you find one you like, let me know. I'd LOVE to deliver it across the Atlantic for/with you!
Paul
CDSOA Member
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

arthur76 wrote:Hi all CD enthousiast out there,

I am new to this forum, so i will share a little of what i am doing here. ;) I live in Europe so i just only saw a CD 30 in person wich had acrossed the atlantic.. since that time i cant stop thinking off such boat (prob a CD 31, but less built i read allready or a CD 33)
I sail a 34ft boat now, mostly single en since i cant get the CD out of my head i am looking for ways to own such great looking boat.
Biggest problem offcoarse is distance. How to get one here, i don't see myself sail across the atlantic.. but prob another thinks different about that. Transport on carrier vessel is prob too expensive i think, if i include al custom taxes and other payments.
Maybe here someone knows a CD in europe, i know its a long shot... or some owner wants to across the atlantic ;)

Also i try to gather information about what are the weak points of these boats, what too look for and what not. As said i prefer a CD31 or 33. Also i am not sure if the total length mentioned on several sites include the boomspirit. And what mastheight is because of the bridges here.
Also like to get in (private) contact with owners of such CD's. Please feel free to contact me.

So i am looking forward to all your suggestions, also apologize for perhaps bad english.

Best rgds and happy sailing Arthur
Care to disclose which country? Just curious.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

Hello again Arthur,

CD 31 mast is about 44.5 feet including masthead instruments.

33s are more common - 124 built, while only 86 31s. See www.sailboatdata.com

Yacht delivery captains may want about $450 per day for the long trip (crew of 3, including you). Plus return airfare. It could take a month.

There are a few specialty ships that deliver yachts to Europe and may actually be less expensive than a delivery crew. Cruising World magazine, February 3, 2013, has a nice article on these ships. They flood a big deck cargo hold and the yachts are sailed right onto the ship. Amazing.

That 31 on Yachtworld in Georgetown, Maine is one of the nicer ones to come to market in the last few years. Very pretty boat.

Dave Perry at Robinhood Marine in Georgetown is a wealth of information about Cape Dorys. He has been with the company for decades. You can google his name.

Good luck with your search.

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
arthur76

Post by arthur76 »

Hi all,

Thanks for the mastheight info,so 44,5 for the CD 31 incl instruments/antenna, approx 13,60 mtr
46,5 for the CD 33 is that incl intruments / antenna? ,approx 14,2mtr
Thats not much of a difference if both are included the instruments. If this is so, its not a real data to select between a 31 or a 33.
Probably the state of maintenance is a bigger one to choose between a cd31 or 33, also the 33 has one berth more. But longer means higher mooring prices, more difficult in solo handling? and so on.
Its hard without the option too look at some in real, i guess the CD33 has some nicer lines. The CD30 i saw here had great strong looks, but the cabin height was what high in relation to the length, but thats a personal thing i guess.

Also i noticed the CD31 had standard a bowsprit and the CD 33 not standard?, do i see a lot 33's with a bowsprit.
So a CD 31 is LOA 31,33 / 9.55mtr with bowsprit (acc to sailboat data)
Ans a CD 33 is LOA 33,04 / 10,07 mtr without bowsprit? (acc to sailboat data)
The draft is almost the same.

Prices for sail delivery can vary widly i find out allready, but if i take in mind extra wear and tear during an atlantic crossing ( not negligibe i think) and possible other damages that can occur i dont think there will b must price difference. Unless someone wanted to make just one atlantic crossing in his life, not me..
For the ones that want too know, i am of the Belgium region in Europe.

I will google Dave perry too, or send him for inquiry. Thanks for that info.

As said these are just the first step in trying to make this dream come true, as it looks now its no impossible i think. But still need a lot too know, and have to find out more about European regulations for shipping from US, custom taxes, and so on.

But thanks again!