Typhoon with a self-tacking jib?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Alan Stewart

Typhoon with a self-tacking jib?

Post by Alan Stewart »

Has anyone converted their Typhoon to have a self-tacking jib? I recommended that a buddy of mine purchase a beautiful Ty to sail in Biscayne Bay and Maine in the summers, but he is in his 80's and often sails solo and has difficulty short-tacking up the channel in BB. His boat has roller-furling (jib) and he has asked me to convert his jib to a self-tacking type, but I have never even seen one in practice. My questions are: 1) Is a club-foot always necessary and can that work with roller-furling? 2) What about a system where the tack slides back and forth on a raised(?) track or traveler-type arrangement? 3) How would the sheeting (if any) operate, as well as the furling line? 4) I realize the jib would need to be cut down to fit within the foretriangle - will that greatly affect overall performance/balance?
Any recommendations or referrals would be greatly appreciated. The plan is for me to drive from SC to Miami in May and do the conversion as well as install Lazy-Jacks before trailering the boat up to Maine for him. I'd therefore like to have all the necessary gear in hand before I arrive. Many Thanks in advance!
Jeff D

Re: Typhoon with a self-tacking jib?

Post by Jeff D »

Alan,

I am contemplating the same change, although likely with a different Ty model. I live in an area of consistent good winds (buzzards bay), so a ~100% jib is the right sail almost all the time. My issue is sheeting angles and sail trim. I think that the stock arrangement is designed for either a really small jib (<70%) or a genoa. With a 100% you have to decide whether to run the sheets inside or outside of the shrouds - both are wrong some of the time. This and the presence of lots of Bullseyes and H 12 1/2s has driven my interest that I am exploring with Sperry my local sailmaker. Every self tacking jib that I have seen has a club of some sort - some have the club at the foot of the sail, others split the luff, some use a deck mounted boom and swivel. There are also plenty of boats with both self tending jibs and roller furling (the Alerion Express 28 for one). Finally I think that the open typhoons all came with self tending jibs with aluminum jib booms. There are not many of those around, but that might fit the bill.

Good luck and let me know if you make any progress.

Jeff
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Alan:

I live in Miami. If can assist with your efforts on the Ty Weekender please let me know. I would be happy to help. Where is the Ty Weekender docked, moored :?:

Disclaimer: I know NOTHING about self-tacking jibs, etc. I am NOT a knowledgeable sailor. My only skills are a still reasonably resilient back and (having given orders most of my life) a willingness to take orders.

At Castle Harbor Sailing Club/School (Matheson Hammock) they have a fleet of Harbor 20s that had self-tacking jibs with a CDI furler. They came from WD Schock with a factory self-tending club foot jib. After a season of use the owner of the school removed the club foot. I am not sure the reasoning but he was/is a life long sailor/instructor/racer. http://castleharbor.com/index.shtml

You may want to inspect these Harbor 20s to get ideas for the Ty Weekender.

This website may give you some additional information about the Harbor 20's club foot:

http://www.harbor20sailingclub.com/about-harbor-20.php

I mention the Harbor 20 because I found it to be very similar in characteristics to my Ty Weekender - except for the keel. For a short period of time I sailed on the Harbor 20s at the school both before and after removing the club foot. Unfurling and furling was never an issue before or after the club foot was removed.

You may want to look at the Harbor 20s to see how they are set up.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Alan Stewart

Post by Alan Stewart »

Thank you Jeff & Roberto for your feedback! Jeff, I lived in Monument Beach on Cape Cod for 15+ years and sailed out of Phinney's Harbor on an F27 to MV & Block Island amongst other places. I love Buzzards Bay!!! Roberto, my buddy Ken keeps his "new" Typhoon at Shake-A-Leg in Coconut Grove where they have a whole fleet of boats designed especially for physically challenged sailors, (Freedoms I believe), Ken tells me that they all have self-tending jibs but I have not seen one in person just yet. Thanks very much for the leads - I'll see what I can learn from them. Cheers!