Gross Weight of CD25 on trailer

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Gross Weight of CD25 on trailer

Post by Terry »

Hope all is well.

I'm interested in knowing the gross weight of a CD 25 on a trailer. Also, wondering if there are trailers for rent that would haul a cd 25.

Thanks in advance for any/all information.

Terry
jepomer

Re: Gross Weight of CD25 on trailer

Post by jepomer »

Quick calculation:

CD25 = 4000 lbs
trailer = 1000 lbs

outboard, fuel, food and water - it adds up quickly.

Plan on 7000 lbs capacity!
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Post by Terry »

Thanks John. My Ridgeline hauls 5,000 or a bit more okay, but anymore would be pushing it I think.

Regards. . .
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

Terry wrote:Thanks John. My Ridgeline hauls 5,000 or a bit more okay, but anymore would be pushing it I think.

Regards. . .
I towed my CD25 from west of Buffalo to southern New Hampshire using my 2004 Grand Cherokee rated for 7000 lbs. Dual axle with load equalizing hitch. It went smoothly. (The boat has needed more "attention" than we first expected and my Capri 22 needed nothing more to sail - but I am still slowly getting the CD25 back to shape. Looking forward to sailing her in the winds that keep us at the dock with the Capri 22.)

Since you will be very close to the legal load limit for your vehicle, I wouldn't haul the CD25 long distances or frequently even if the extra gear was transported in a second vehicle. I would look for another vehicle.

I will be doing that soon myself because the 2004 Grand Cherokee was replaced with a 2012 Grand Cherokee that has just a 5000 lbs limit. You may want to look for an older full-sized pickup to use as a utility/tow vehicle, but not one that replaces your daily vehicle.

There's always options. It's important to stay safe and legal. Illegal stuff can involve way too much paperwork for anyone!
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane