Where is the Far Reach?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Where is the Far Reach?

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

John Stone wrote:Next day, I learned a 65' ketch came lose from her private mooring and was blown downwind while the owner and his wife were trying to get the engine started and put the steering wheel back on the pedestal -- they had taken it off during the day.
If I recall correctly John you installed a tiller on S/V Far Reach. Perhaps another good reason for a tiller versus a wheel. Not that I want to restart that debate. :wink: :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

You should try to never leave your vessel incapacitated. This could have easily have become a tragedy. "What if" takes on a whole new meaning when you leave yourself incapable of dropping your ground tackle, steering your boat, starting your auxiliary (if so equipped), setting sail. Being alone you tend to be sensitive to "what if".
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Jim Walsh wrote:You should try to never leave your vessel incapacitated. . . ."
Nor should you try to row back to your vessel incapacitated :!:

Sorry, i couldn't help myself :oops:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

tjr818 wrote:
Jim Walsh wrote:You should try to never leave your vessel incapacitated. . . ."

Nor should you try to row back to your vessel incapacitated :!:

Sorry, i couldn't help myself :oops:
:D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I went ashore to Tickles Dockside Pub last night for their Fat Tuesday live music celebration. The dingy dock was jammed. The live music was terrific. I stayed till the end of the third set. It was fabulous opportunity for people watching as all the sailors were having a very good time. Getting back to your boat after such an outing is an essential skill not discussed in the cruising books. :roll:
Last edited by John Stone on Feb 11th, '16, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Last week I went sailing for a few days with a family friend over to St John. On the way we sailed past the stern of the maxi yacht Attessa IV (over 300' long) anchored outside Christmas Cove. I was thinking that maybe the Far Reach really is not big enough after all. I need a place to land my helicopter. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

John Stone wrote:I went ashore to Tickles Dockside Pub last night for their Fat Tuesday live music celebration. The dingy dock was jammed. The live music was terrific. I stayed till the end of the third set. It was fabulous opportunity for people watching as all the sailors were having a very good time. Getting back to your boat after such an outing is an essential skill not discussed in the cruising books. :roll:
"Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk."
-Sir Francis Chichester :!:
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Hooray! My family finally arrived a couple weeks ago. It's terrific to have us all together after being separated for almost three months! We spent some time in St Thomas getting everyone settled in to life on the Far Reach. The kids have been working on dinghy handling, snorkeling, and sailing skills. They had no trouble restarting homeschool just where they left off a few days before. It a lot of fun to sit on the bridge deck and watch them down through the companionway at the saloon table working through their lessons.

Last week wehad a fine sail under settled conditions during a 15 mile hop to St John and spent a couple of gorgeous days in Maho Bay. Then we sailed off the mooring (you are required to take a mooring in the National Park) and had a five mile close reach in brisk winds with a reefed main and working jib to Jost Van Dyke and once again the Far Reach found herself anchored in Great Harbor in 35' of water. We cleared back in to the BVI. We had a great time there and a few days later we sailed up wind about five miles over to the very picturesque Cane Garden Bay on the west end of Tortola and anchored on a sandy bottom in about 20' of water. This is a fabulous anchorage.

In the next few days we will probably head east up the Drake Channel eventually working our way to the Baths and Virgin Gorda.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

Are you in the southern hemisphere? ;)
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

not so down under...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Steve A
Cape Dory 36 #105
Outer Banks NC

Post by Steve A »

Fantastic to see the Family is back together again, it means so much to have those terrific memories that they can carry with them for the rest of their lives. Good Luck and keep the updates coming we all love them !
Steve
Southern Lee
Original Owners
'84 CD 36 #105
Outer Banks NC
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Far Reach, Cane Garden Bay, Tortola.

Yesterday we rented a car and drove the length and width of Tortola. Though I have been many places in the world Tortola probably has the steepest, most twisty, and narrowist roads I have ever driven. Lots of fun. It's even more interesting as the roads are often not marked and the map we were provided was one of those cartoon maps. I wouldn't I have wanted it any other way.

While anchored here we met a wonderful couple, Richard and Eilish Wylie. They sailed here from Northern Ireland on their fabulous self-built steel Wylo 35. This was, in fact, their second trip across the Atlantic to the West Indies on Granuaile. The boat is gorgeous and beautifully finished. Richard built every thing on her as well. The interior is bright, airy, and roomy. Granuaile has a flush deck cockpit (and lots of additional and neat modifications) and a gaff rig.

Richard had a very clever way of finishing the cabin sole by using removable sections of 3/4"ply with 1/8" layer of cork glued to the top surface of the plywood. Then, he applied multiple coats of varnish to the cork. They have been sailing her for 8 years I think. The sole has held up very well. It had a great feel under foot and did not seem slippery at all. If I were every to re-do the sole of the Far Reach I think I might replicate it. I'll make a separate post on the sole so it will be easy to find in the Forum data base if someone wants other options than the standard teak and holly style.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Seaworthy looking design. I like most raised deck designs but not all have eye appeal. This one is unusual in that it has a well-deck forward, that certainly makes handling ground tackle more secure. When you say "flush deck cockpit" are you saying he has no coamings? It's hard to see from the photo. I have seen cork cabin soles on older boats but I don't recall any having been varnished. Apparently they would just replace the cork as needed. I loved checking out all the different cruisers that came in to St. Georges harbor. Such diverse solutions to the same problems.
Glad you and your family are enjoying yourselves. Keep us posted.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Jim
The cockpit is flush meaning there is no foot well. However, there are seat box coamings with lids on each side of the cockpit that lift up for storage. Kind of like the Pardey's Taleisin. Of course there is a lot more storage inside the boat without a footwell. Also, on Richard's boat, the mast is in a tabernacle and a set of sheerlegs are built in to the forward lifeline system so he can lift and lower the mast by himself. Very clever.

I have a lot of extra interior storage on the Far Reach as a result of our many interior modifications but I am not happy with our cockpit. The lockers have narrow openings designed, I suspect, to make the foot well wider to accommodate a bigger steering wheel. Had the cockpit been designed for a tiller the footwell would be narrower then the seat locker tops could have been wider and there would have been plenty of room for wide coaming boxes--kind of like the later built CD 36s have. There would have also been more storage under the cockpit in the aft end of the boat.

You are correct, there are lots of very interesting boats to see here. Fascinating.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

John, thanks for clarifying. Personally I wouldn't be able to live without a footwell in the cockpit. To each his own. Extra storage is always a good thing. The longer you travel and the length of time you are at sea drives home the necessity to have everything stowed securely in place. Being alone I can't take the chance that something unsecured is able to injure me. As you are aware the boat is never stable, even if the sea looks like a millpond the underlying swell is always present.
Granuaile is certainly a specialized blue water cruiser. It is reminiscent of Galway Blazer. I met Peter Crowther after he'd just finished the OSTAR in 1976. He invited my girlfriend and I aboard for the afternoon. That thing was strictly meant for long distances. It had too few creature comforts for me, although the junk rig certainly had its good points.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION