A Paen to Bronze

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

A Paen to Bronze

Post by John Stone »

The Far Reach, Elephant Bay, St Thomas, USVI

As I move about the Far Reach, taking care of small projects, and enjoying the simple pleasure of "messing about on boats", I am struck by the wonderous beauty of bronze. It is, in my opinion, the most noble, selfless, and beautiful of metals. It's durability, workability, and longevity seem to have no constraints. It's striking blue-green patina contrasts beautifully against a background of paint, varnish, or bare teak. When I see it, I think of its quiet unfailing and tireless nobility contrasted against the harsh, and to my eye, cold urban utility of stainless steel that can only shout out to me as I pass by, while I attempt to avoid eye contact, "Hey, I can be lovely too if you will only care for me, wash me, polish me, dissassyble me, and manga flux me to inspect my structural integrity for potentially catastrophic failure!"

I am greatful our boats have so many bronze components.

Bronze and boats--what more need be said.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Re: A Paen to Bronze

Post by Jim Walsh »

Verdigris is beautiful. I've been told only blue water will produce the effect to its most favorable end result.
Here is a before and after.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

John Stone wrote:... I am greatful our boats have so many bronze components.

Bronze and boats--what more need be said.
Amen to that.

I still chuckle about something my Daughter did a few years back... After we spent the better part of a summer resurrecting my CD-36 after an electrical fire, her now husband Beau and Mariah brought Nautica (pka Parfait) up from Oriental to Urbanna VA. I sadly could not tear away from work. The weather was not the best on their trip so while rain came down, they decided to surprise me with polished portholes.

They got one done :D

All things considered they did such a great job helping me put the boat back together and into the water, then got her to the new home port, I didn't have the heart to say I preferred my bronze natural, and one port looking different from all the rest was a bit... oh I don't know, distracting. :wink:
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

My late friend, Jack Holloway, a retired Navy Captain, would look at my Cape Dory and smile while telling me that if stainless steel had been manufactured first there wouldn't have been any serious effort to "discover" bronze.

Different hitches on different ships.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Where it's almost summer.) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Jim, where did you get the bronze dorade ventilators? Did they come with the deck plates as well? Those are beautiful.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

John Stone wrote:Jim, where did you get the bronze dorade ventilators? Did they come with the deck plates as well? Those are beautiful.
I only have the one. I can't remember positively but I believe I spotted it on eBay, or right here?? It is a 4" not a 3" so I used my router to enlarge the existing opening to get it to fit. It came with the base but was missing the cover. I bought a stainless, yes I know that's heresy, base and cover on eBay for twenty bucks. I keep the cover on the boat for an emergency but it's never been used. I often search for bronze cowl vents but rarely find any and they are either damaged or people ask rediculous prices for them. I'd love a couple 3" cowls to replace the flexible Nicro Fico cowls on my aft deck.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

John Stone wrote:Jim, where did you get the bronze dorade ventilators? Did they come with the deck plates as well? Those are beautiful.
Google 'bronze cowl vent'... there's a wide range of items and prices. Unfortunately I haven't been able to locate the low-profile versions in bronze - they seem to only come in stainless now. Wish I'd bought a pair for stern vents when I got the one for the cabin.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

These will cost quite a few Boat Deutsche Marks/Euros, but they are beautiful :!:

http://www.toplicht.de/en/shop/fenster- ... windhutzen
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

tjr818 wrote:These will cost quite a few Boat Deutsche Marks/Euros, but they are beautiful :!:

Looks good, but the low profile unit just has a 'bronze color' coating... :(
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

tjr818 wrote:These will cost quite a few Boat Deutsche Marks/Euros, but they are beautiful :!:

Wow - yes a tad expensive. I believe the 4" diameter ones are model 1468-100, which would cost about $1,100 each in USD - perhaps gold would be cheaper :)

Funny - I have been looking for 4" bronze cowls for about 2 years (and a teak wheel). Even used on e-Bay they seem to fetch about $400. Yesterday I read this post and finally said; "Dang it, I want them!!". So I placed an order for two with this place.

http://firstmatescabin.com/ventilation/

Assuming their posted price is right ($355 for cast bronze with the ring and plate) it seems like the best deal going. I'll keep everyone informed.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Well I'd be interested to know what you think of them once you have hands on. You have to really read the fine print. Bronze is kind of general term to vendors. Also some are bronze "colored", bronze plated, etc. I think the $1000 ones are made by Davey and Co in the UK, then some are sold by Toplitch in Germany, and also sold in the US. There is a VAT to be paid if purchased in the US.

I'm going to keep looking. One of these days I'll find some being sold off a hulk. Mind you that most of the hardware on the old boats is sometimes beautiful bronze that many people today find unattractive.
swpatooty2

Post by swpatooty2 »

Here's a list of some used and consignment gear shops. Nice to see them on one page, even though many/most of them probably now sell more new gear than used.

http://www.goodoldboat.com/resources_fo ... stores.php

I frequented a couple of them back in the day, and then ( '70s-'80's) they were a great resource. Now???

Cheers,

Ken
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

when I found Jerezana up in Belfast Me, it was the bronze ports that got me right off the bat ... I thought, Jimmy Cricket, these things look as eternal as anything could possibly be ... I keep the internal parts clean(ish) with WD40 and Scotch Pads ... the salty sides are "on their own"
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
mashenden

Post by mashenden »

mashenden wrote:... http://firstmatescabin.com/ventilation/... Assuming their posted price is right ($355 for cast bronze with the ring and plate) it seems like the best deal going. I'll keep everyone informed.
Update - although the guy seemed very genuine, he did not have any in stock, so he was going to look into whether he could still get them. I have not heard anything since so I am back to looking on eBay :)
Matt Ashenden