Tiume to check hoses!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ken Cave
Anacortes, WA

Tiume to check hoses!

Post by Ken Cave »

I have noticed from photos in previous sites that hoses really need to be checked out as new regulations are in place in
what we should have and need to do.

As an example, if one has not changed their fuel lines since 2000, one may have major problems as the new diesel fuel will
eat up the inside of the line causing blockage in the fuel system.

I found out that my line from the tank to the outside vent was not up to code as it was the original line that was put in
by Cape Dory in 1979. I replaced it and installed the vent in the cockpit so I can listen to the fuel going into the tank.

Check with the new codes as to certification that is legal and current for your boat, especially fuel lines.

Ken Cave
CD 28 #227
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: Time to check hoses!

Post by tjr818 »

Thanks Ken. I have not seen those new regulations. Where can they be found? Does this include the braid sheathed fuel lines on our engines? If so I think it will be a good time to move that D!*n primary filter off of the engine and onto a bulkhead where it will be easy to service. Do you have any recommendations for a place to get braid sheathed fuel lines?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Ken Cave
Anacortes, WA

Re: Tiume to check hoses!

Post by Ken Cave »

All fuel lines, including the ones used for vents, feed, etc. are marked if they meet ABYC, USCG, SAE, etc.
Defender sells the different hoses, included what they call the Trident Premium B1-15 Barrier Lined
Feed Fuel Hose which can be used for gasoline, alcohol blends, diesel and bio-diesel, but all the hoses
that have been certified by the coast guard are good for diesel, bio-diesel and our wonderful blended
gasoline that seems to eat up our beloved outboards.

I can't tell you exactly where you can get info on the hose requirements, buy your favorite mechanic
and marine store has the answers, I am sure.

Hope this helps

Ken Cave