Unable to log on from Internet Explorer

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Unable to log on from Internet Explorer

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Yesterday I tried to open this CDSOA website and learned I had been unceremoniously "logged off". I attempted to log on but have so far been unable to do so from Internet Explorer. I can log on from Firefox which is how I am posting this message.

I have tried to resolve the issue by "restore point", rebooting, etc. So far, no joy.

Is anyone else having this issue :?:

When I try to log on to this website with Internet Explorer it allows me to log on and the screen says I am logged on but then, within 2-3 seconds I am kicked off.

I should add that I am have 5-6 other websites I visit regularly that have "log on" procedures. All of these websites are unaffected. It is only the CDSOA website that is an issue.

Thoughts, solutions :?:

Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
bottomscraper

Re: Unable to log on from Internet Explorer

Post by bottomscraper »

Hmmm can't help you but do I feel your pain.

I use Chrome most of the time but for some reason parts of the Paypal site do not work well with Chrome so I tried the new "Microsoft Edge" that came with the new Windows 10. What a total piece of $#!7. I ended up using Firefox also.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Rich:

Thanks. I have two friends who are real life computer geeks with one of those non-descript gov't agencies no one knows about. They tell me to stay far away from Windows 10 for now. They say it is as bad as Windows Me. I never heard of Windows Me but my buddies have saved my butt on more than one rodeo (good times :!: ) so .........

As for why I cannot stay logged on to CDSOA with Internet Explorer, they tell me to stop using Internet Explorer and just use Firefox which they installed on my computer last year.

25-30 kts winds on Biscayne Bay today. Temps will drop to 40 degrees inland tonight. Yikes :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

Move away from Internet Explorer is good advice, IMHO.

At one time MS had the corner of the market on Internet Browsers - IE was the standard. But in true monopoly fashion they ignored their user base, changed things that worked great, added things that were not needed, blindly move things for no apparent reason whatsoever, and ultimately allowed it to get so bloated that it moved at the speed of [insert colorful analogy here].

Enter free enterprise - Firefox and Chrome moved in to fill the void. Good news in terms of speed, but bad news in terms of consistency. Now many things do not work on all 3. Grrrrrr.

In an effort to regain position, it appears that MS has now also thrown in the towel on IE, with the release of Edge... an icon that so closely resembles IE... REALLY.!?!. That is ridiculous. The jury is still out on Win 10 and Edge, but I am somewhat skeptical.

I use Firefox and Chrome, but barely ever resort to IE.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:25-30 kts winds on Biscayne Bay today. Temps will drop to 40 degrees inland tonight. Yikes :!:
Let's trade places. It's 28F here, the wind is out of the northeast at 15 to 30 in the gusts, and we have a couple inches of snow so far.....several more likely. Biscayne Bay sounds delightful by comparison :D

I'm happy to say I haven't experienced any issues accessing our website from my iPad. That can be very distracting.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim:

It's warmed up a little in South Florida. I'm good. Enjoy your winter :D

To ALL:

I am still unable to log on to this board via Internet Explorer. Strange. I've tried everything I know (restore point, log off, McAfee swipe, etc.) but nothing works. My buddies tried doing some "remote access" (I have no clue how :? ) and came up dry also.

While I am grateful to at least be able to log on via Firefox and read new posts, etc., it is frustrating and a little awkward to use IE (which I am comfortable with) for everything except CDSOA.

Any lingering thoughts on solutions :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Carl Thunberg

Dont't listen to the Nay-Sayers

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Google mines so much freakin' data that I refuse to use Google products except Google Earth and Google Maps. I have never once had problems logging onto this or any other other site using Internet Explorer. Call me old-school. I'm okay with that.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:...
Any lingering thoughts on solutions :?:
If you are not willing to bite the bullet on the learning curve to make one of the other browsers your comfortable go-to browser, then you may want to try uninstalling Internet Explorer and reinstalling it. Others are able to use IE so it is something specific to your setup.

Since IE is a Microsoft feature, it may not uninstall in the way other programs are uninstalled, and it seems that there are varying ways to uninstall it depending on what operating system and IE version you are using. If the idea of uninstalling IE appeals to you, try using Google to search for "uninstall Internet Explorer version __", where you would put in the version and/or operating system that you use. Then you would have to use Firefox to then search for Internet Explorer to reinstall it, or if you have Automatic Update activated, if you leave the PC on-line then it should reinstall by itself.

The negative of this is that if you do not export your Favorites in advance, you may lose them. Sometimes that has a good house cleaning side effect, but there is the risk of losing links that you cannot remember or find otherwise.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

joemerchant

Post by joemerchant »

I am having the same problem with IE. Sadly, that is the only browser allowed at work.
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Joe:

Thank you very much for posting. I was beginning to think it was just me. I am reminded of the phrase "Just because you are paranoid does not mean the bastards are not out to get you." :D

Matt:

Your suggestion may work but I have not a clue how to do it. :(
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
mashenden

Post by mashenden »

Matt:

Your suggestion may work but I have not a clue how to do it. :(
I explained how to figure out how to do it by Googling. Short of taking a trip to Florida and doing it for you, I'm afraid I am out of ideas.

A trip to FL... hummm... I wish.
Matt Ashenden

joemerchant

Post by joemerchant »

Turned on developer tools on IE. The issues on my side is the php was unable to write to a cookie that it expected to write to for session state. Clearing the internet Cache solved the issue.

Go to Internet Options (The Gear at the top right). Pop up, middle of the page, there is a 'Delete' Button. Click on it. Check Temporary Internet files and..., Cookies and wesite data, and Active X Filtering and Tracking Protection Data, then delete.

If that does not work, do it a second time and check everything. Wait a minute or so until it tells you everything was deleted. Caveat is that it will delete remembered passwords, etc. so you will have to enter them all again if you save them.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

The other option Roberto is to call in the Big Guns. Call your grandkids and ask for help. That is what we do :oops:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

joemerchant wrote:Turned on developer tools on IE. The issues on my side is the php was unable to write to a cookie that it expected to write to for session state. Clearing the internet Cache solved the issue.

Go to Internet Options (The Gear at the top right). Pop up, middle of the page, there is a 'Delete' Button. Click on it. Check Temporary Internet files and..., Cookies and wesite data, and Active X Filtering and Tracking Protection Data, then delete.

If that does not work, do it a second time and check everything. Wait a minute or so until it tells you everything was deleted. Caveat is that it will delete remembered passwords, etc. so you will have to enter them all again if you save them.
Joe: It worked :!: Thank you. :!: :!: :!: :D Although I did not find any cookies. :( I was hoping for Oreos. :D

Tim:

I asked my goddaughter if her 6 yoa daughter could stop by my house to fix my computer. My goddaughter informed me that she asked her daughter. Her daughter said "no", she had a very full schedule with school, play time, TV, etc. :(

I intend to enjoy sharing this very simple solution with my computer geek friends who both told me it was too much trouble to bother with - just use Firefox. And these guys help defend our country. Geez :!: :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
mashenden

Post by mashenden »

I intend to enjoy sharing this very simple solution with my computer geek friends who both told me it was too much trouble to bother with - just use Firefox. And these guys help defend our country. Geez :!: :wink:
Woohooo, although in reality you are fixing a browser that is not likely to be supported by its owner or by developers much longer.

But then again its seems fitting given we all love Cape Dorys :)
Matt Ashenden