Beauty Is In The Eye of the Beholder

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Beauty Is In The Eye of the Beholder

Post by John Stone »

S/V Far Reach: Anchored in Elephant Bay, St Thomas, USVI.

Well, this is an old thread. It's painful to read.

http://capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php ... lit=Davits

I found it because I was looking to see who had davits and if there were pictures depicting them (no I have no plans to install davits on the Far Reach, but I am curious as to what they would look like). The "who is a real sailor and who is not" part of the thread was disheartening. It made me grind my teeth.

Because some people have tried to label me a purist (which I take exception to) I'd like to offer my perspective on it if anyone cares.

Those who are familiar with the Far Reach know she is simple. I went to great lengths to make her that way. The whole focus is on sailing performance, simplicity, and beauty. As Keats observed, A thing of beauty is a joy forever." Beauty is a prime mover in the world, which of course covers a wide spectrum of things from people, to boats, cars, homes, airplanes, prose, art, music, etc. But all these things are a matter of perspective and personal choice. To me, the Far Reach is beautiful and sailing her is a joy. I love the simple pleasure of sailing her. I like that she is physical. I enjoy the sense of feeling that I am connected to my childhood heroes when I am on her. I especially like the fact that I feel like I can fix everything on her without having to resort to a cussing tirade.

We have no inboard engine, no dodger, no biimini, no real electrical system, no davits, no electric lights, no plumbing, no clutter topside. The boat IS SIMPLE. But that is a choice I made for my own personal reasons. I get great pleasure out of sailing her this way.

But, let me tell you, there were and are big compromises to having a boat laid out like this. It's not for everyone and not even to most. Sailing from Cape Lookout to the BVI upwind without a dodger was not comfortable. It was, at times, very wet. You can get cooked here in the tropical sun without a bimini, and yes I wear sun shirts and pants--doesn't matter. With the oil lamps lit, she is beautiful inside (but it can be hard to find stuff in the low light without your LED headlamp). Wrestling that big jib down to the foredeck at night in a rising wind and growing swells while straddling the bowsprit made me question my sanity. Sailing in and out of these anchorages with all these boats here can be stressful. But, in a twisted way, all this stuff is fun and rewarding . . . to me . . . at this point in my life.

If I didn't want exactly the boat I have I would probably have all the stuff most folks have on their boats. I'd probably have a nice dodger, and a Bimini with a clear plastic window in the top. I'd have an inboard. And a furling jib?--you bet. And those stack packs look really convenient too (there everywhere down here). I'd have refrigeration. And I would definitely have LED lighting. And I would probably have some kind of sleek davit set up with a 12' RIB and a 15-20 HP outboard.

Sure, I'd want to be able to fix what's on my boat and I'd want it all elegantly installed, blah, blah, blah.

What I am saying is I think your boat should be beautiful to you and make you happy when you are on her and anyone that has issue with that well they can be damned. Regardless our perspective, we are all bound together by our love of boats and the water.

I was never a fan of multi hulls before, but since I have been here in the Virgin Islands, I have seen some long, low, lean, and very sexy cats. I can see how they are perfectly suited to sailing in the Caribbean. With the lifting daggerboards they look like they really go upwind. A huge saloon for your friends and family. A wonderfully shaded aft deck with an integrated arch for solar panels and davits. There's that davit thing again!

If a boat is beautiful to your eye, and brings you joy, then it stands to reason she must have a soul and how can you not love a boat with a soul?

In Jost van Dyke I met a wonderful couple from Maine (Michael and Barbara Porter) that have a gorgeous 63' aluminum single screw trawler (he designed himself) that reminds me of a North Sea trawler (sort of like the old sardine carrier?). She is called the Barbara. They sailed (powered) her from Maine to Scotland, on to mainland Europe, down the west coast of Europe, and back across he Atlantic to the Caribbean. I am very confident the Barbara has a soul. If money were no object . . . .

http://www.lymanmorse.com/boats/barbara-41

I previously wrote about crossing tacks with the gorgeous Maine schooner Juno. I dare you to say she doesn't have a soul.

http://gannonandbenjamin.com/constructi ... -juno-2003

If money were no object . . . I am smitten with the aluminum Borreal 44. A very cool boat. She definitely has a soul.

http://www.boreal-yachts.com/boreal-mod ... 2/?lang=en

And for those of you who are thinking about someday sailing your beautiful Cape Dory to the Caribbean, with or without a dodger or davits . . . don't let someday turn into never. I suspect you will find it is well worth the effort.
Paul D.

Re: Beauty Is In The Eye of the Beholder

Post by Paul D. »

While I did't read the original thread you were disheartened by, I will chime in here on your comments.

I say more power to you! Do it your way; whom am I to critique unless you ask for advice? The way you sail is the way you sail. I might do it differently, but that's my problem.

There are some philosophical items I completely agree with you on. I have worked to keep Femme fairly simple over the years, making upgrades only after long winter thought. Here in MN winter is indeed long. I can still get the family onboard and then untie the lines in about ten minutes. I've kept the rig to slab reefing. One solar panel powers almost everything. I've sewn up a lot of Femme's canvas. Things I do differently include roller furling (Harken by God that has not let me down even in 50 knots, and when it does I'll go forward and wrestle, and probably cuss) and a dodger. Dude, there is no better entertainment than watching two boys swing upside down from it! Femme has a soul and when aboard, my own floats higher than any other time in my life. There was a Universal 5424 aboard when we purchased her and there it will stay till it breathes its last. If my hands are not scraped after a week aboard I feel somewhat guilty - and worried that I have perhaps tempted fate a bit too much.

While I could never love a boat I didn't find beautiful anchored in the bay, I see the value of a POS old boxy Morgan Out Island that someone is out there sailing around on. I'd gladly have a beer with him. One thing I like about sailors is the different perspectives and opinions they have. But I would never own that guy's boat!

I say keep doing what you're doing and keep sharing the adventure. Never mind the bollocks!
Paul
CDSOA Member
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

Sail what you love.

Enjoy your travels, John! And thanks for the updates and photos; they're especially great for the "northern brethren."
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I think reading the original thread explains the reason for my post. I'm not defending my choice. I don't care what anyone thinks. But the tone of the original thread got heated when some sailors posited that if you have a dodger or davits you are somehow less of a sailor. What hogwash. And that spured my post.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

There are an amazing array of choices we can all make when deciding what our vision of beauty and utility is. Most of us have some form of constraint to work within, some have limited discretionary funds, some have time or draft (air or water) restrictions, while others have large families or strong tidal flows in our home waters. These few considerations, and there are certainly many others, are a smattering of those which formulate our final decisions.
I am more than happy with most of the choices I have made when deciding to purchase and equip ORION. She carries me safely and in comfort wherever I decide to go and I am proud to say she is mine. The final proof is that I can't help but glance back over my shoulder to admire her whenever I leave her.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Keith

Post by Keith »

John,

I was grinding my teeth as well. Difficult to read.

Jim,

I love rowing away from MOON DANCE after a long sail and enjoying the view as the picture expands until here entire profile is in my view. I have done this many many times with and without the dodger and I still love the view either way.

PS great picture even with the dodger and life line pad! :wink:
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Thanks Keith. About an hour after I snapped this photo the seas got rediculously large and I was in a full gale. I took a good look at my standing and running rigging and went below to be in relative safety. It was comfortable below but the roar of the wind and seas was something to be experienced. Our boats are very seakindly and handle these situations very well. Our "old fashioned CCA inspired" hull lines have plenty of reserve buoyancy fore and aft....and I was thankful for our "overbuilt" hulls. Our boats instill confidence in hairy situations such as these.
Last edited by Jim Walsh on Jan 24th, '16, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Great picture Jim. What sail combination did you use during the gale and on what point of sail were you on?

You are right about our boats being solid and sea kindly. Though I was occasionally annoyed that we were always going upwind in a big swell during our passage to the BVI, at no time was I the slightest bit concerned for our safety.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

John Stone wrote:Great picture Jim. What sail combination did you use during the gale and on what point of sail were you on?

You are right about our boats being solid and sea kindly. Though I was occasionally annoyed that we were always going upwind in a big swell during our passage to the BVI, at no time was I the slightest bit concerned for our safety.
Here's what I posted about the incident back in July. It raised the hairs on my neck to re-read it. I can hear the roar of the wind now. I think it bears repeating and provides all the details. I was close hauled the entire time. My entire trip was close hauled or a close reach. A broad reach would have been nice now and again, but I have no real complaints. Even in this gale the Monitor wind vane did a fabulous job and truly kept a better course than I could have.

As recorded in my log on 7/1/15
Everyone enjoys a heavy weather story and this is the worst weather I experienced on the cruise.
On 7/1 at 9:00am I was 202 nautical miles from Noank and doing 6 knots with a full main and yankee, I did not have the staysail set. The sky was blue in places but the upper atmosphere was hazy. It looked like a change was brewing. At 1:30pm the Gulf Stream squall generator was was up to its old antics. I was hit by a squall which hit 40 knots for a short time. I rode it out by putting the first reef in the main, easing it, and roller reefing the yankee. I was hoping for a short duration and it worked out just that way. Every 40 minutes, or so, I had another squall pass through. A couple were just tropical downpours with winds of 20 knots or less. Several more in my visual range just slid past me. The subsequent squalls were routine with plenty of rain and winds increasing from 18 to 20 knots into the low to mid 30's before pushing through. I still got by with one reef in the main (I did not have my staysail set) and roller reefed the yankee as needed. At 6:00pm I got whacked. This squall, coming on the heels of all the others in the area, had a bit of sea running before it hit. I started the morning with 3 to 6 footers and by 6:00pm the seas must have been 8 to 10 feet with some slop due to the winds boxing the compass as the squalls departed the area.
At 6:00pm the sheer size of the squall was noticeable. It grew noticeably cold. Hell, I'd just spent 24 days in Bermuda, it got very cold! I could see the rain flattening the seas, then I saw lightening and heard a low moan. I quickly dropped the main. When I returned to the cockpit I still had the full yankee set and the wind speed was touching 30 knots. I started to reef the yankee and the rigging started to hum. The wind speed and the seas rose very quickly. I watched as the wind speed hit 35 knots and showed no sign of easing. I reefed the yankee to maybe 30 square feet and the wind just continued to climb. I saw it hit 45 knots. I reefed the yankee a little more, took a good look at everything to ensure we were secure, and settled in under the dodger while the wind vane steered the boat. This was my usual spot. The wind vane did all the steering.
The intensity of this squall was dramatic. The seas built up quickly into cobalt blue mountains. There were occasional breaking seas and lots of spray flying. One sea broke right beside us and the wind deposited about 15 gallons into the cockpit. This was an anomaly. I had the wind vane set so we were working our way steadily to windward, climbing the seas on the port tack. The boat was very comfortable and there was no green water coming aboard.
This squall wasn't abating. The dull roar of the wind continued and the rigging continued to hum. After an hour went by I began to think it wasn't a squall at all. The wind velocity increased occasionally but stayed under 50 knots. We were taking it in stride so I figured I'd get below so I didn't have to look at those cobalt mountains any longer. I have a very high bridge deck and I had the bottom drop board in place all afternoon. I went below and popped the remaining drop boards into position and latched the top board. I continued reading Villiers 'Captain James Cook' and rested comfortably. Leeboards are worth their weight in gold. You never have to worry about being bounced out of your berth.
At 8:00pm I could feel the wind dying down so I peeked outside. The seas were still breaking occasionally and they were enormous. In my log I noted "seas enormous 16-20 feet?". I still think that was accurate, maybe conservatively accurate. By 11:00pm the wind was down to 30 knots steady. I was relieved to see that this event had diminished from its earlier show of strength. We were riding comfortably so I set my alarm for 30 minute intervals and I went to bed. Every 30 minutes I'd poke my head out and use the spotlight to take a look at the boat. I'd also check the AIS but nothing ever appeared on the screen, thankfully. We ran on all night as comfortably as conditions dictated (the wind continued to abate) and I see by my log we covered 90.4 nautical miles from 9:00 am on 7/1 to 7:30am on 7/2.
No sense wasting a fair wind
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

John:

I appreciated reading your initial post on this thread. Very thoughtful and well done.

I also appreciate reading your logs of your journey to the BVIs and your experiences while in the Virgin Islands. For "sailors" like me who will likely never venture offshore it is interesting to read the logs, journals, and thoughts of those who do. Thank you.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Keith

Post by Keith »

Thanks for reposting Jim, I some how missed it the first time. Moments of terror I'm sure but I bet it puts a smile on your face every time you think of it!

Keith
Keith

Post by Keith »

PS Jim, I just noticed that you keep your whisker pole back near the cockpit on the stations. I've never seen that before. How do you like it? Pros & Cons

Keith
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Jim
Terrific post. Very descriptive. I can definitely relate.

Roberto, glad you enjoyed the logs and posts. They were/are fun to write. I have also gotten a lot from the many posts on the forum by others some of who sail only locally in their area.

Should be sailing again in the next few days. Will add to the "where is the Far Reach" thread as we continue along.

Best to all,
John
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Keith wrote:PS Jim, I just noticed that you keep your whisker pole back near the cockpit on the stations. I've never seen that before. How do you like it? Pros & Cons

Keith
I keep it there because it is the most "out of the way" position, as opposed to the handiest position. It hardly gets any use. Only once or twice a year do I find myself running down wind for more than a few minutes. I've tried it both fore and aft. The brackets only take a few minutes to shift so when it proves useful more frequently I'll just shift it forward.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Keith

Post by Keith »

Thanks Jim,

I seldom use mine as well. It is mounted to the deck on the port side about two feet behind the bow chalk next to the toe rail and doesn't really get in my way.

Keith