First Rule of Sailing

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tartansailor

First Rule of Sailing

Post by tartansailor »

Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: First Rule of Sailing

Post by Neil Gordon »

As a regular volunteer on the Hudson River Sloop Clearwater, I've heard the Captain give the safety speech more than a hundred times:

"The number one rule on board Clearwater is you need to stay on board Clearwater."
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I'm one of those nuts who never, ever, wore a PFD. If I was traveling long distance or the weather was dicey I'd slip on my harness. I decided to not be the last holdout last spring and I purchased an offshore rated automatic inflating PFD. What sold me was the ease of donning the one I chose and the fact that it incorporates a harness. I was always having to untwist my old harness and rarely got it on properly on the first shot. The new PFD/harness is foolproof. Slips on properly first time, every time.
Now if I ever hit the water I'll just bob on the surface and the sharks will be able to nibble on me at their leisure :roll:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Jim Walsh wrote:Now if I ever hit the water I'll just bob on the surface and the sharks will be able to nibble on me at their leisure :roll:
Actually, they simply chomp off everything below the life jacket. That said, the top half of you will in fact continue to bob on the surface.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

Back in the very distant past Nyack Boat Club days there was a Race Committee guy
who said: "If you fall overboard, please have the courtesy of drowning quietly so as not
to disturb your fellow sailors." I think that old SOB was serious.
I'm sorry for the poor guy's family. As of this writing he has not been found.
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim Walsh wrote: . . . I purchased an offshore rated automatic inflating PFD. What sold me was the ease of donning the one I chose and the fact that it incorporates a harness. I was always having to untwist my old harness and rarely got it on properly on the first shot. The new PFD/harness is foolproof. Slips on properly first time, every time. . .
Jim, what is the make/model of your PFD :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I have the automatic inflatable PFD and harness. Have it for many years and, thankfully, never had to use it (the PFD part anyway.)
After the second year I always "worried" about whether the thing would inflate if I did go overboard. So the question is:

1) how many of you "check" the inflatable part of the PFD each year?

2) How do you do it since it comes with a one time use gas inflator?

3) Or, do you just replace the inflating cylinder every 2 years or so without checking it.

I always remember the old joke that Red Skelton (for you senior citizens out there) used to do. He never wanted to be taking pictures with bad flashbulbs so he would check each one before he went out. It would flash and he'd say, "This one's good!" Of course back then flashbulbs were only good for one shot.

So, even if you change the gas cylinder with a fresh one, how do you know its going to work??

No...I'm not an old curmudgeon...but sometimes you just can't shake loose of a thought that entires your mind involuntarily. :?
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

When I took the Safety at Sea seminar before the Halifax race, they emphasize two things:
1) don't fall off the boat
2) don't get seasick or you might fall off the boat

They had a chart for various water temps for time to incapacitated, time to unconsciousness and time to death. The four of us looked at each other with the same thought: in Mass. Bay I think there's only 3-4 weeks a season where you have longer than 30min conscious time in the water! I wear the PFD and tether the harness much more frequently now.

Warren,
3) Or, do you just replace the inflating cylinder every 2 years or so without checking it.
I replace the cylinder and the bobbin at the replacement interval. In theory you could weigh the cylinder since the weight is on the cylinder. I also check, using the manual inflation tube that the air chambers hold air.

I have not set off my harness one but have set off two sailing the O'Day on the lake, once when a student capsized the boat and the other at the dock taking off sails when three kids jumped off the bow at once and I fell off the stern. Both times I was surprised to have an inflated PFD around me when I reached the surface!

Jeff
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Warren Kaplan wrote:So the question is:

So, even if you change the gas cylinder with a fresh one, how do you know its going to work??

No...I'm not an old curmudgeon...but sometimes you just can't shake loose of a thought that entires your mind involuntarily. :?
Warren:

I have a PFD with a harness and with auto-inflate. It is pressure sensitive. Just getting wet from sea spray won't auto-trigger the cylinder as happens with many (salt tablet or similar). It has to be immersed in water for pressure to trigger the cylinder. This is supposedly intended for those situations when a sailor is knocked unconscious and goes overboard. The PFD will auto-inflate.

On mine, the PFD can also be manually inflated by pulling on the cord. If the cylinder does not inflate the PFD (for whatever reason) mine has a tube to blow into to inflate the PFD.

On most inflation cylinders there should be a mfg. date (or an expiration date). The one I have is supposed to be good for 5 years. I have had it 7 years.

In the early years of SCUBA our horse collar buoyancy compensators (BCs) had one or two manual inflate cylinders built into the BC. If you were at depth and you or your buddy got in trouble you pulled the cord on the BC and, in theory, you floated to the surface. In practice, they sometimes did not work (rust, lack of maintenance, etc.) and when they did work many divers rocketed to the surface, exposing themselves to the bends (serious) and/or gas embolism (beyond critical). The cylinders then are same gas cylinders used today. As with all life support gear regular inspection and maintenance.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:
Jim Walsh wrote: . . . I purchased an offshore rated automatic inflating PFD. What sold me was the ease of donning the one I chose and the fact that it incorporates a harness. I was always having to untwist my old harness and rarely got it on properly on the first shot. The new PFD/harness is foolproof. Slips on properly first time, every time. . .
Jim, what is the make/model of your PFD :?:
Roberto,
This one :D
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-mari ... --14897433
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I've used regular and inflatable pfd's for years in different applications, mainly canoe trip guiding. When we began some serious sailing, my original West Marine inflatable w/harness was found defective, so they refunded my money. I keep it aboard as a harness only; it is rather comfortable.

One alternative to Type V inflatables are good quality pfd's like those for expedition canoeing or kayaking. This is the type that I regularly use. For those on northern lakes where the temps frequently are less than hot, they are very comfortable, help maintain body temperature on cold days and in the water (In Lake Superior that is a rather big deal) and never need maintenance or worry about whether they will work. They do not turn a person face up however.

Some brands I like are Stohlquist, Kokatat, Astral and NRS. MTI and Extrasport are good brands for cheaper but still comfortable pfd's. Just try a few on to see what fits best.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

In addition to my offshore automatic I've always had a Type 1 and four different sizes of Type 2 (four of the adult size). I always figured it best to have a full selection of sizes just in case I had to come to someone's assistance. You never know when someone may have an infant or a couple children aboard. Luckily I've never had to make use of them in an emergency.
I hope my liferaft always has dust on it also :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

That sounds like a great toast; May your life raft always be dusty :!:

Almost as good as Slainte :D
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

tjr818 wrote:That sounds like a great toast; May your life raft always be dusty :!:

Almost as good as Slainte :D
My paternal grandparents would occasionally speak Gaelic amongst themselves but I was too young to pick up on any of it. I did look up slainte several months ago, so now I know how to say "good health" and pronounce it well enough to impress an Irishman if he's been celebrating. :wink:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

Warren Kaplan wrote:I have the automatic inflatable PFD and harness. Have it for many years and, thankfully, never had to use it (the PFD part anyway.)
After the second year I always "worried" about whether the thing would inflate if I did go overboard. So the question is:

I always remember the old joke that Red Skelton (for you senior citizens out there) used to do. He never wanted to be taking pictures with bad flashbulbs so he would check each one before he went out. It would flash and he'd say, "This one's good!" Of course back then flashbulbs were only good for one shot.

I have a Musto, inflatable vest and in addition to the compressed CO2 cylinder, it can be inflated via a mouth piece.

R
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam