CD 25 Boom end to floor minimum

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Astronomertoo

CD 25 Boom end to floor minimum

Post by Astronomertoo »

Ref: older series CD25--
Can anyone tell me the lowest position, of the clear height of the bottom of the boom end above the cockpit floor, with the mainsail fully hoisted, with the main sheet tight? That would be minimum height for "stooping" head clearance purposes. If anyone has that dimension written down, or can supply it, I would be indebted to you. I am making up a scale drawing of my own for this boat, and I have not seen many of the measurements in the available documentation. I have my own boat in the shed out back, but the mast is off so I can not raise it to make the measurements.
Thanks,
BobC
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
bgephart

Re: CD 25 Boom end to floor minimum

Post by bgephart »

BobC - I went over and measured my 1979 CD25 today, and the end of the boom is 4 ft 5 inches from the cockpit floor, or 3 ft 3 inches from the cockpit seats at the very end of the boom. This is with the boom seated at the bottom of the mast slide. The boom can be raised 8 1/2 inches before it starts coming out of the slide exit slot. I generally have the boom about 5 inches below the slide exit slot - that results in about 4 ft 8 1/2 inches above the the cockpit deck.. My boat may be slightly different from your 1975, as it is the "new" design with the bridgedeck at the forward end of the cockpit. I hope this helps.

Bob Gephart - Savannah
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

I generally have the boom about 5 inches below the slide exit slot - that results in about 4 ft 8 1/2 inches above the the cockpit deck.. My boat may be slightly different from your 1975, as it is the "new" design with the bridgedeck at the forward end of the cockpit. .
Bob Gephart - Savannah[/quote]
--------
Thanks Bob G,
That is useful info. I have another friend just north of here who also has one of the newer designs, same year as yours, and his boat is also on the trailer (like mine) for projects, so we could not measure his either. And yes I very much like his bridgedeck, which would be an interesting project to include.
Your dimensions are good for me. However the slightly different heights of mainsails will have some effect on the numbers too. I am also hoping to find the changes to that "static" lowered dimension when the mainsail is fully hoisted, to show the maximum clearance of boom to floor when sailing, and the change when we lower the sail, as the boom lowers back to the static position. That answer will let me scale it all up, and I will be able to show whether it is practical to add a boom gallows to drop the (long) boom into when the sail is lowered. If it looks good, I will make a test jig to full scale and try moving it around the cockpit to see if it is doable. With my previous boat I used a boom topping lift which was controllable like the halyards on the cabin top with stoppers, and after letting the sail come down, I could tehn drop the boom into the boom gallows, sheet it down tight, throw a bungie stopper around the mainsail, then go forward to roll up the sail at my convenience, all with a rock solid booom, not moving. It may not be worth doing it on the little 25, but I am looking at the possibility, as an excercise if nothing else. I will be adding the cabin top turning blocks, and stoppers/cam cleats for main and jib halyards, main downhaul line (I am spoiled), and boom end topping lift, to this boat, just as I have done before for solo sailing. It is also pretty neat, and worth the trouble, to be able to control mainsail shape with the halyard without leaving the cockpit (more solo safety).
Thanks again,
BobC
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Bob
If you are planning to have a new main built you could place the boom above the slot which would give you a lot more 'head clearance' by having the sail cut smaller. I use a sail stop above the slot so the boom does not fall down into the slot and one above for the main.
Lazy jacks would be a nice addition also
Pete
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

pete faga wrote:Bob
If you are planning to have a new main built you could place the boom above the slot which would give you a lot more 'head clearance' by having the sail cut smaller. I use a sail stop above the slot so the boom does not fall down into the slot and one above for the main.
Pete
------------
Hi {ete,
Thanks for the suggestion. I have not ever heard of anyone cutting down on the height of a mainsail but suppose that would work well, simply by cutting off the foot. I will not plan on that at this time, at least until I get back in the water after my other fixes and mods are done and the boat tested.
After I bought this boat I did take the new (Chinese) mainsail (and the 130 genoa) to the North Sails loft in Tampa and paid for an inspection, and fix anything they might find wanting. The guys said the main sail was fine with no problems and constructed using a very "hand" soft material. I thought so too. It also has only one set of reef points. I also replaced all the old original running halyards, sheets and worn out lines.
Bob C
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

pete faga wrote:Bob
Pete
That is similar to what we did on Slainte, our CD-27. When we had UK Halsey make a new main for us we had them raise the clew end about a foot. This gives us plant of headroom in the cockpit. We could not raise the boom end without moving the gooseneck which is bolted to the mast. We have been very happy with this arrangement.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27