Refrigeration

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve A
Cape Dory 36 #105
Outer Banks NC

Re: Refrigeration

Post by Steve A »

The "icebox" on our 36 was and still is woefully inadequate, we cruised the Bahamas and the Windward/Leewards back in the 80's and we were always disappointed in the amount of engine run time that we needed, at least twice a day. We have an engine driven system and we all know how tight the engine compartment is, well try adding a compressor to the mix. Very little space not to mention considerable belt wear. At this point my old compressor (R-12) is locked up, it is just a Chrysler type compressor still available at auto parts stores. I guess what I will try and do is add more insulation somehow from the outside (don't really know if it can be done) but I just cant lose and interior space. I will try and post some pics today. If anyone else can post pics of their install or iceboxes that would be great.
Steve
Southern Lee
Original Owners
'84 CD 36 #105
Outer Banks NC
sailor

Re: Refrigeration

Post by sailor »

Years ago I had a 30' o'day with a poor icebox. I got to looking and found that it only 1" rigid foam all around. I drilled a bunch of 1/4" holes top and bottom and bought some pour in foam from tap plastics and poured it in the top holes till it came out the bottom. Worked great. An adler barbour would make ice in about an hour. Have to be careful as too much in the wrong place will produce enough pressure as it expands to break stuff.