typhoon rub toe rail profiles

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

kevindr

typhoon rub toe rail profiles

Post by kevindr »

Just begin a top to bottom restoration of a 74 Typhoon. Rails are so worn that I cannot get an accurate profile for the new ones. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: bump....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

This was posted in the wrong forum so it's been moved and "bumped" to the top of this one.

-Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Bristol14

Re: typhoon rub toe rail profiles

Post by Bristol14 »

See attached for the rub rail profile. Max height and widths are 3/4 X 3/4 inches, at least on my old Ty. I cracked my rub rail in a couple of spots on our Association dock a couple of summers ago during a battle with lumpy seas and used the old rail as a template. I didn't replace the whole rail, but used a scarf joint to piece in the replacement. My rub rails are not made from one piece of wood anyway (not sure if they originally were this way when the boat was built).

I cut a piece of mahogany to the rough size (I cetol my rub rails so the colors match the old teak) and used a round-over router bit to round the top of the rail. After trial and error, I wound up cutting the rail a bit bigger than sanded it in place to give me a closer size match.

Hope this helps.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steven_Shore

Post by Steven_Shore »

Kevin,
I did a restoration of Typhoon 1273 this spring. I replaced all the rails. What i discovered was that both the rub rails and the toe rails used 1" x 3/4" teak. The toe rails were mounted on the 3/4" side while the rub rails were mounted on the 1" side. The effect was the the toe rails stood a little taller while the rub rails looked a bit wider.
stern q with new trim.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kevindr

Post by kevindr »

thank you for the great photo and the explanation. Mine are so worn, i would never had thought that the rub rails were mounted with the 1" side against the hull.

Do the rubrails overlap the toerail just a little, or vice versa do you recall.
Steven_Shore

Post by Steven_Shore »

Hi Kevin,

They don't really overlap. The just meet at the edges to form a 90 degree angle.

We milled shallow grooves into the bottoms of the rails and applied copious amounts of calk.

I learned a great calking technique just after I took that photograph. For finishing and tight spots, use one of those $2 epoxy syringes. It'll give you a much better edge than a canister or tube of caulk will allow.
dcumings

Post by dcumings »

hi there,
I am a new Typhoon owner and notice there’s a lot of gapping around all the woodwork. At this point I am not up to a rebedding project but want to know if I can seal the exterior gapping with caulk and if so what kind is best? What color is recommended?
thanks!
dani⛵️