Thanksgiving.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Thanksgiving.

Post by Oswego John »

Thanksgiving Day. The day for us to be thankful for something special in our lives.

This Thanksgiving Day I have something that I am thankful for, something for which I am especially thankful for. Let me explain the reason why I am so very thankful.

As some of my friends wondered, I will now explain a few personal things going on in my life today. I have been a member of CDSOA for a very looong time. I can't remember for how long. I used to enjoy posting on anything and everything. Ask Neil about our posting history. I tried to be active with the Great Lakes chapter. As of now, I can count on my fingers how many posts I've sent in during the last several years. Let's say that I have been inactive, very inactive.

About five or more years ago I was told by an oncologist that I had a mature case of T Cell Lymphoma, more specifically, Mycosis Fungoides. I won't bore you with details of what my life has been like since then. The thing that I am thankful and grateful for is that in mid October, my oncologist declared that to the best of his knowledge, the cancer has left my body. Woo Hoo. He set my next appointment to see him sometime next spring.

Hopefully, I can now resume a more normal life. Do things that I used to take for granted. Working on my boats, climbing up ladders to the cockpit when on the hard. Painting the hull, stepping and unstepping the mast, etc, things that I haven't been able to do because of complicating circumstances. Hopefully, most of that is now in my rear view mirror.

I hope that everyone reading this is aware of so many subtle things to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.

Give thanks,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Re: Thanksgiving.

Post by moctrams »

Alll Riiiiiiight OJ! We want to see more posts in 2016 and beyond.

I am so thankful my 2 1/2 year battle with Osteomyelitis is over and I can also do more "stuff". I'm sure everyone is thankful for their health, family, etc. Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Good news OJ! Sometimes our prayers are answered.....
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Hey, OJ, you have about 1000 posts to make up for! Better get to it.

Thanks for posting and have a happy Thanksgiving!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

That is great news OJ :!: We have all missed reading your posts and look forward to reading many, many more.

Happy Thanksgiving to you OJ and to all the members of this board and the CDSOA.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Congratulations OJ!
Paul
CDSOA Member
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Neil Gordon wrote:Hey, OJ, you have about 1000 posts to make up for! Better get to it.

Bad guestimate on my part... OJ is only about 500 behind!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

OJ,
Quite an achievement besting that beast!! Serious illness like that puts life in a new light.
May your days be long and may you live each and every one of them to the fullest!!

This, indeed, is a happy Thanksgiving for you!!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

Neil Gordon wrote:Hey, OJ, you have about 1000 posts to make up for! Better get to it.
--
Ditto, OJ!
I am Thankfull for your better fortune, and yes I am too new here to know about the 500/1000 backlog, but appreciate any training on how to follow up on the old timers.
I am also thankful to be a young 69 in good health, and having an understanding first mate partner who has assisted me greatly in getting an early jump on my bucket list, including finally getting my first CD after 35 years of wishing. There has been too many turns in the nuclear power plant eningeering road while making a living in too many states, and now it is finally my turn to be back in my old Florida, and time to turn an old duck into a swan.
I will wish ALL of you a Happy Thanksgiving, and may there be good health and many more fairweather jibes for all of you!

Bob C
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Great news O.J.
Look forward to your future posts
Keith

Post by Keith »

Congratulations OJ, I wish you many many happy days on the water!!
Ed Haley

Post by Ed Haley »

That is wonderful news, John. It means a lot to all of us Cape Dorians that you might return to us your sage advice. And all your experience that you take the time to tell us. Absolutely wonderful.

I told Cyndy about your prognosis and she said it is truly a thankful Thanksgiving. We're in Portland OR with our granddaughter Clover but maybe you can hear the cheers! Or taste them according to your desires.

The best to you and Michael. :D :D :D :D :D
Mike Davis

Post by Mike Davis »

That's beautiful. God Bless!
swpatooty2

Post by swpatooty2 »

Good news, OJ. Keep on keeping on!
Patooty
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

What a perfect Thanksgiving story. Thanks for sharing your good fortune with all us CDers.

Before you know it, spring will be here and off will come the tarp. Spring had always been a special time for me in the boat yard. Talking to the other owners, making improvements, dreaming about the coming cruises.

We all wish you many, many more Happy Thanksgivings and many hundreds of miles of happy cruising.

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats