Garmin Below Deck Autopilot in CD36

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

John Ring

Garmin Below Deck Autopilot in CD36

Post by John Ring »

It was a lot of work, but I crammed a new Garmin below deck autopilot into my CD36. It's Garmin's GHP-12, and their "Class A Linear Drive" (actually made by Jeffa). The drive is not hydraulic, purely electromechanical, like a huge tiller pilot but capable of steering a 30,000lb boat. It connects to the boat's NMEA2000 network (all Garmin) and talks to the rest of the system, following routes you preset on the chartplotter and other neat tricks.

Installation involved:
1) Making a custom bronze offset tiller arm (modified Buck Algonquin part) to clear the hull, and to get the linear drive unit low & well aft in the sail locker.
2) Extending the drive's arm a few inches to reach the new tiller arm (M20x2.0 hardware is REALLY hard to find).
3) Making a custom aluminum angle bracket to securely mount the drive unit in the sail locker.

I installed the control in a single display pod low on the steering pedestal. You can see the pilot's computer mounted just above the extended arm. The compass is in an interior locker.

This new below deck system is wonderful; absolutely silent, powerful, and reliable. It holds a better course than most people can steer over long periods of time. It was a LOT of measuring, custom fitting & fabricating, but well worth it.

John Ring
CD36 TIARA
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
Steve A
Cape Dory 36 #105
Outer Banks NC

Re: Garmin Below Deck Autopilot in CD36

Post by Steve A »

Very good install and Pics, I'm considering a new autopilot and this may be the answer. Thanks for posting !
Steve
Southern Lee
Original Owners
'84 CD 36 #105
Outer Banks NC
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Re: Garmin Below Deck Autopilot in CD36

Post by moctrams »

How much invested?