Open source NMEA to WiFi gateway - Kickstart campaign

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Open source NMEA to WiFi gateway - Kickstart campaign

Post by mashenden »

This sounds like a neat idea. I envision being able to access my NMEA chart plotter data and other electronics using a laptop, Smartphone, iPad, etc.

I am not affiliated with this project in any way other than I decided to contribute $200 to the Kickstart campaign in hopes that it gets funded.

Active Captain brought it to my attention.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... et-of-thin
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
Squid

Re: Open source NMEA to WiFi gateway - Kickstart campaign

Post by Squid »

I have been thinking about the $600 dollar option when I go to Florida.... This newer solution should be a good, much less expensive solution.. Been tracking this as well.... My motivation is to be able to do voyage planning below and move data to the cockpit chart plotter more seamlessly. I already have a GMI-10 below at the nav station. I put in a complete NMEA 2k (Garmin) two years ago to allow for this. I have the 740S not the 741 which is bluetooth. My current arrangement works by moving a SD card between devices. Only issue with the older gateway solution would have been power consumption which I had planned on just adding a DC switch to the wireless gateway and turning it off when not used. This Active Captain solution does look very promising... !!
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
John Ring

Post by John Ring »

While not an open source system, the newer Garmin chartplotters have built in WiFi which sends a signal to your tablet. With the "Garmin Helm" app installed on the tablet, the tablet then becomes a fully functioning touch screen repeater for the chartplotter, allowing full controll of the chartplotter/radar from the cockpit or where ever you take the tablet. It's a great system.

John
CD36Tiara
Last edited by John Ring on Nov 8th, '15, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
Squid

Post by Squid »

John , Correct. But you need 741 not the 740. 741 has wireless.
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
Squid

Post by Squid »

John... and others..
It is not just about wireless. Please take a look at the short video. It more about allowing open source solutions into a now closed environment. This is how we, the boating community can now start reaping the benefits of tons of apps for smart phones and tablets. "Connected" to the backbone.... a very simplistic view would be... with this modification you will be able to use your iPhone or iPad on the boat and at home to see all instruments connected on the boats backbone. Much of this can be done today but with this gateway it will lead to a more robust community of users, solutions and eventually less cost for these solutions. Today, I can install several "boxes" to do this but it would be expensive and power grabbing... This proposed approach would help potentially alleviate this concern and more... Take a look at the video they do a much better job of articulating the potential of this approach.
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Matt, Glen and John:

At some point you guys need to start speaking (and writing) in English :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Squid

Post by Squid »

Roberto, ..... Sorry I type these responses on my phone.... So some things get missed ... And I don't go back and edit.
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Glen:

It does not having anything to do with "typos". It's this kind of language that many of us (perhaps just me :( :wink: ) can't read:

"I already have a GMI-10 below at the nav station. I put in a complete NMEA 2k (Garmin) two years ago to allow for this. I have the 740S not the 741 which is bluetooth. My current arrangement works by moving a SD card between devices."

What dictionary do I go to for a translation :?: The only thing I know for certain is that I do not have any blue teeth (or "bluetooth"). I brush and floss at least twice a day with Crest.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:Glen:

It does not having anything to do with "typos". It's this kind of language that many of us (perhaps just me :( :wink: ) can't read:

"I already have a GMI-10 below at the nav station. I put in a complete NMEA 2k (Garmin) two years ago to allow for this. I have the 740S not the 741 which is bluetooth. My current arrangement works by moving a SD card between devices."

What dictionary do I go to for a translation :?: The only thing I know for certain is that I do not have any blue teeth (or "bluetooth"). I brush and floss at least twice a day with Crest.
I'm with you Roberto :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Wasn't Bluetooth a famous pirate?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Squid

Post by Squid »

Jim , Roberto, et al...

The 740,741 are Garmin chart plotters. The SD card is that dinky little memory card like thing on your digital camera or some smart phone about the size of your little finger nail. The GMI 10 is the display usually at the helm for wind, depth, course etc.... and these are all Garmin devices... Raymarine has same stuff different names, just a preference issue with owners. The NMEA 2000 or NMEA 0183 is the wiring or connection standard used inside the wires that connect the devices or how to wire the stuff together so it all works correctly, (a tech standard).

The bottom line of this conversation if for the droids that enjoy the electronic shi# or stuff... IS...

This new interface (Signal K) allows an interface to be used for/by the developers (other droids that like the electronic gadgets) to write cool code to make our "Stuff" work better and more seamlessly. Possibly even more cool stuff for less money.

In the end, while it technically matures forward in time.... Your iPad or iPhone (or most likely any tablet or smart phone) will be able to do more cool stuff integrated directly via wireless (as in possibly bluetooth being a wireless standard) with your boats instruments. You will also be able to monitor boat stuff remotely, like from home or your other half see what you see on your instruments.... This will be good for possibly monitoring conditions when not on board.

Is it needed to sail faster or better?... NO... But "NEED" is a bad word when used in conjunction with any water craft, especially a sailboat.

Attached are pictures of a Garmin 740 chart plotter ... Two GMI-10's... The old Raymarine autopilot and a remote Mic for the main VHF. The other picture is the GMI-10 inside the boat that I can use when below, which can also be shutdown to conserve power.

With this main instrument panel I can also clandestinely laugh small tactical missiles from the well conceled auxiliary chain locker. But that would only be exposed in Hillary's emails, so I should not point that capability out in a public forum.

Again, bottom line.... This interface will allow boat users the ability to monitor or use their smart phones and tablets to do more cool stuff on the boat.... A geeky thing that isn't "required" to sail...

I understand we can sail across the Atlantic and the Pacific with a string with a small weight attached for bearing... And an abalone shell with a magnet in it for course setting .... But just because we can, doesn't mean we should....

"Need" is a bad word on a sailboat...
Just wanted to clarify.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Squid on Nov 8th, '15, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
Squid

Post by Squid »

The name of the wireless standard "Bluetooth" comes from an old Pirate term for their favorite ladies in foreign ports...
You were close...
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Glen:

Thank you.

I recognize the analog Elgin clock in the first photo. That's about all I recognize or understand in the photos. I am also proud to say I know how the clock works and can "decode" what it is telling me. The clock is saying "It's 8:15" (am or pm).

I do not have memory cards or a smart phone. My cell phone is almost 9 years old. It was given to me free when I signed up for $25/mth cell phone service. No photos, no text message, no twitter, just talk.

I am told I am a Luddite. Probably true. I like looking at and working on things that I can actually "see" moving, doing something, etc. - an old Chevy big engine, a Yanmar diesel, etc.

Somehow I have managed to steer this thread off topic. :( My sincere apologies to all.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:Matt, Glen and John:

At some point you guys need to start speaking (and writing) in English :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :D
Sea Hunt Video wrote:...I recognize the analog Elgin clock in the first photo. That's about all I recognize or understand in the photos. I am also proud to say I know how the clock works and can "decode" what it is telling me. The clock is saying "It's 8:15" (am or pm).

I do not have memory cards or a smart phone. My cell phone is almost 9 years old. It was given to me free when I signed up for $25/mth cell phone service. No photos, no text message, no twitter, just talk.

I am told I am a Luddite. Probably true. I like looking at and working on things that I can actually "see" moving, doing something, etc. - an old Chevy big engine, a Yanmar diesel, etc.

Somehow I have managed to steer this thread off topic. :( My sincere apologies to all.
No worries :). Analog clocks, no smart phone, not recognizing bluetooth... I suspect this technology is of no advantage to you, but it is to many. It brings back memories of a long e-mail exchange a few years back on how to post pictures to this forum :wink: .

Keeping up with technology is a full time job, that rewards you with helpful tools that only work most of the time (point being that this industry has a quality control problem larger than American cars in the early 80s). At times I wish I could shut down on learning the next gen. But then it draws me back in like the Devil himself.

The take away for many on this development effort to create a gateway is that it will pave the way to using end devices that most of us now have at our immediate disposal (bought and paid for), to view data that is generated by the various electronics devices on our boat. In the past there has been either a wall or a pretty significant and expensive proprietary roadblock limiting this.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:Somehow I have managed to steer this thread off topic.
As long as you do it with a tiller and not a wheel.

By the way, reading about D-Day... although the Normandy invasion was delayed one day, to June 6th, due to weather, some ships had already departed in anticipation of a June 5th landing. They were not only on radio silence, but visual communication (i.e., flashing light) silence, as well, and, of course, without running lights. To recall them, they needed to be chased down in the dark and hailed with megaphones. (I'm pretty sure these were 1.0 megaphones!)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698