"New Boom" single line reefing

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Squid

"New Boom" single line reefing

Post by Squid »

Thought I might share what I hope is my last big improvement project. When I bought the boat it had an old in boom furler that was not in use and was to large for the boat. Outhaul was a jury rig and the boom heavy.

My long term plan was to get a new boom (Selden) with new track with stainless cars, and set it up for single line reefing and main halyard all from the cockpit.... I went out two weeks ago and the wind was perfect to test the set up. We had a nice day with 13kts of wind which built to 18kts. I walked my sailing buddy through the procedure on how to reef. I brought the girl into the wind, he dropped the main halyard to the mark on the line, pulled the first reef line through the clutch re-raised the main halyard... Bam, pulled a reef in about one minute from the cockpit... I love it !... I hope it gives me a few more years of sailing pleasure as I test my age at the helm! Let me know if you have any questions, we are very pleased with the install.
Attachments
New and now correct outhaul.
New and now correct outhaul.
IMG_1272.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 1022 times
Deck Organizer
Deck Organizer
IMG_1209.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 1022 times
Red line under boom is second reef. Blue is first reef. The white with green is the outhaul that doesn't have it's cleat installed yet. The new red on the mast is the new main halyard. New boom with new gooseneck.
Red line under boom is second reef. Blue is first reef. The white with green is the outhaul that doesn't have it's cleat installed yet. The new red on the mast is the new main halyard. New boom with new gooseneck.
IMG_1210.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 1022 times
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
Squid

Re: "New Boom" single line reefing

Post by Squid »

Second set of pictures.
Attachments
Outer most line is the halyard. With the new track on the mast. The sail goes all the way up by hand other than the final 12-18 inches. Not  much winching needed. Center clutch is the first reef, inside clutch the second reef. The older green line is for the traveler.
Outer most line is the halyard. With the new track on the mast. The sail goes all the way up by hand other than the final 12-18 inches. Not much winching needed. Center clutch is the first reef, inside clutch the second reef. The older green line is for the traveler.
IMG_1193.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 1021 times
Aft segment of single line reefing. The arrangement of the lines for reefing occurs inside the boom which go forward then are directly aft to the cockpit.
Aft segment of single line reefing. The arrangement of the lines for reefing occurs inside the boom which go forward then are directly aft to the cockpit.
IMG_1271.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 1021 times
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Wow! Love that setup. Makes perfect sense for single handing. Now something else for me to dream about.
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
Keith

Post by Keith »

Love it! but what is the short track on the hatch rail for?
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

Terrific setup!. I also have my halyard and reefing lines back to the cockpit, however, I have separate lines each for clew and tack. While yours takes a minute to reef, mine takes about an additional 15 seconds and adds another couple of lines to mess up in the cockpit... You win!! Actually, the only downside I've found is the excess friction on the halyard due to the additional blocks that redirect the line to the cockpit, that keeps the sail from dousing by itself all the way down. My sailmaker has suggested a new, lighter and thinner halyard. Hopefully that will be the solution. Also, my clew reefing lines hang under the boom, your inside boom routing is very sweet. You won't regret having an arrangement that keeps you off the rolling deck when you need to reef. Congratulations!

David

"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

:wink: Great photographs and narrative both of you. Life is so much simpler on the Typhoon....
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

The closeup shots are great but do you have any from further back so we can see the modification in profile?
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

David Morton wrote:...Also, my clew reefing lines hang under the boom, your inside boom routing is very sweet....David
We have the same problem aboard Slainte. I have heard that you can drill a few holes in the side of the boom and rum the clew refs line internally. Has anyone done that :?: :?:
I now people do that to the mast to run internal halyards. I would love to hear more about doing that to the boom - and to the mast. Those seem like two good improvements that would not cost much. Unless I ruin the spars :oops:
Last edited by tjr818 on Nov 4th, '15, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Squid

Post by Squid »

I will reply fully when back home. With better pictures to include the new track and cars. The main drops like I have an electric motor pulling it down. I did the main mast internal line arrangement the first year I got the boat... Will send pics of that as well. Thanks for the comments.
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
Squid

Post by Squid »

Dave,... Great comment on the main.... The rigger and I (excellent rigger), discussed this issue specifically. What he recommend and we installed was a new track inside the old track with stainless cars on the main... Even with the new resistance of the added blocks the main goes all the way up by "hand" easily except for possibly the last foot. Then a couple of cranks on the winch and done. To lower all I do is hold the halyard with my hand and un-clutch... It drops like there is an electric motor on it. I forget the name of the track system, (easy track on something like that) but if you are interested I can get the e-site... VERY easy install on the boat and then new sewn on cars on the main. In fact with larger sails you need to hold the halyard a bit because it drops like a rock... All good! This was a great solution to the added main block resistance issue. We also added some length to the new main halyard so it can reach the water line without issue if needed.

The line arrangement within the Selden boom for single line reefing can be better observed by going to the Selden web site.... One line line with opposing pulleys inside the boom.
Attachments
IMG_1420.jpg
IMG_1420.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 803 times
IMG_1419.jpg
IMG_1419.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 803 times
Last edited by Squid on Nov 7th, '15, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
Squid

Post by Squid »

The short track next to the companionway is an artifact of the old "In Boom" main furling system that had been de-installed years ago by a previous owner. It on the short list to be removed this winter.

Here are some pics of the old boom...
Attachments
Old boom after removal from the boat
Old boom after removal from the boat
IMG_1022.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 803 times
Old boom...
Old boom...
IMG_0984.jpg (2.68 MiB) Viewed 803 times
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
Squid

Post by Squid »

Jim,
When I go up to the boat this Wednesday I will take some better profile pictures and post.

This picture also shows another modification I made the first year I had the boat. I had both Halyards taken inside or internal in the mast... This gave me the option of adding two additional halyards because of the arrangements inside the mast. I re-ran (replaced) all the wiring as well (in conduit), which was part of the motivation. I now have a spare Genoa halyard forward and using the other spare main halyard as a topping lift with a small block to adjust at the end near the end of the boom (previous picture).

I will also take a better picture of this arrangement as well this weekend.
Attachments
This is a shot of the new internal halyards.
This is a shot of the new internal halyards.
IMG_1277.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 803 times
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

What you have is a Tides Marine "Strong Track".
frankfurder

Post by frankfurder »

Great project!

Regarding the turning blocks and sheet stoppers in the cabin top, how did you mount the hardware thru the headliner inside? I am planning a similar cockpit reefing arrangement on my 25d, but haven't got the courage to drill the holes yet.

I am planning to drill thru the core only, seal the balsa core with epoxy and then redrill the smaller 1/4" holes to mount the hardware. Havent figured out how to finish the job inside the cabin yet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

frankfurder wrote:Great project!

Regarding the turning blocks and sheet stoppers in the cabin top, how did you mount the hardware thru the headliner inside? I am planning a similar cockpit reefing arrangement on my 25d, but haven't got the courage to drill the holes yet.

I am planning to drill thru the core only, seal the balsa core with epoxy and then redrill the smaller 1/4" holes to mount the hardware. Havent figured out how to finish the job inside the cabin yet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
I am hoping to do the same as Frank on my CD 25D although I have even less "courage" than Frank. It's scary drilling holes in a boat. :roll:

As for the inside "liner" (to the extent there is one) I had considered affixing a round teak plate to "cover up" the 5-6 screws/nuts, etc. from the winch that will be exposed inside the cabin. I would also do the same for the turning blocks plate and clutches (affix a rectangular teak plate), etc.

I, too, would welcome any and all suggestions. I have waited way too long and want to try to get this done ASAP.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil