Heat Exchanger

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JWSutcliffe

Re: Heat Exchanger

Post by JWSutcliffe »

Just order it direct from the manufacturer, Seakamp, or one of the distributors that list it online. 299835CN Universal Heat Exchanger
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Ordered it today from mr cool.us. Will get it next week and then the fun begins! Goldie's very first brand new heat exchanger in her 17 years with me! YAY!
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I'm sure Goldie will show her appreciation :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
rollo_cd26

Post by rollo_cd26 »

Zelda et all,
How safe is it to remove the HE and trust a radiator shop to boil and clean? I have exactly the same ambition for the HE on my CD-26 Westerbeke w10-2. I fear a reckless jobber used to big diesel radiatorswill mishandle this little dainty cylinder and I will be "slip-locked". I have read and reread the Compass Marine site on this one and decided it is worth doing to avoid a warped head or a perforated HE.

BTW, that boat is really lovely and I'll bet the engine compartment has it own dedicated lighting and fresh air supply!

Thanks! TR
Rollo
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I would trust it to a radiator shop with which I was familiar. The trustworthy guys will tell you whether or not "rotting out" your heat exchanger was successful and if the outer skin is solid. You can spray the finished product with engine paint to match and it'll be just as good as new (almost). :?
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

Jim Walsh wrote:http://www.mrcool.us/302631-universal-h ... MgodencA6Q

Might this be what you seek?
Jim,

I may be looking to replace/upgrade the heat exchanger on my CD-31. I'm not sure if it has a 2" or 3". I think I'll be getting up close and personal soon. But the link says not for use in salt water. Would this still be the item I'd want?
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Capt Hook wrote:
Jim Walsh wrote:http://www.mrcool.us/302631-universal-h ... MgodencA6Q

Might this be what you seek?
Jim,

I may be looking to replace/upgrade the heat exchanger on my CD-31. I'm not sure if it has a 2" or 3". I think I'll be getting up close and personal soon. But the link says not for use in salt water. Would this still be the item I'd want?
Raw water is pumped through a heat exchanger so that statement seems absurd. :roll:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

That's why I was wondering if that was intended only for boats that operate in only fresh water.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
New Orleans, LA
grluecke

Post by grluecke »

Are you talking about the heat exchanger between raw water intake and radiator fluid in and around the engine?

The one at the Mr Cool link said "not intended for salt water"? Wait, you all can actually **see** your heat exchanger?? Red tips on your clamps?? I'm giving up now.

I had to change my raw water pump impeller this past summer. Here I am doing the job.
20150705_144752.jpg
I can't actually use both hands at the same time, but I did manage to take enough pictures to get one good one of my heat exchanger. I'm putting this in just make Sea Hunt feel better.
20150705_121016.jpg
The PO seems to have reveled in using mild steel straps and brackets everywhere he could on the engine...See those two nut holding the pump on? The good news is that the rust somehow kept the bolts from turning while I put the lock-washer and nut on with one hand...Amor-All on the hoses?? I'm lucky to get out of there without calling the fire department!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg and Jennifer
Oceans' Poem CD30K #245
Cundy's Harbor, ME

We hail out of Portland these days!
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

I'm still learning where things are on my boat.
Heat exchanger is behind engine but both pumps appear to be on front of engine accessible from cabin. Maybe Jim Walsh will verify for a CD-31.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
New Orleans, LA
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Greg and Jennifer,
All I can say is OMG :!: :!: :!: :!: Where would one start? Can you legally spray the entire engine with Naval Jelly?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Capt Hook wrote:I'm still learning where things are on my boat.
Heat exchanger is behind engine but both pumps appear to be on front of engine accessible from cabin. Maybe Jim Walsh will verify for a CD-31.
Yup. Fresh and raw water pumps are on the front of the engine and the heat exchanger is in the rear.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

JWSutcliffe wrote:Just order it direct from the manufacturer, Seakamp, or one of the distributors that list it online. 299835CN Universal Heat Exchanger
Skip,

Zeida has a CD-33.

I have a CD-31 as it appears you do as well. Is the model number above the correct heat exchanger for a CD-31 also? I may be looking to replace my heat exchanger soon.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
New Orleans, LA
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Capt. Hook,
If you still have the original M25 the answer is yes. What I suggest is that you google "299835CN" and choose a vendor and price to fit your temperament.
As Steve Laume has noted in the past it is not necessary to mount your HX as it was originally. It can be mounted remotely if it indeed makes it handy for inspection and service in the future. Just something to consider since you are involved in replacing the original unit.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

Jim,

Thank you for your suggestion. Will consider that.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
New Orleans, LA