Hauling a Ty with a crane

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

N Moore

Hauling a Ty with a crane

Post by N Moore »

Does anybody use a small crane to lift a Typhoon out of the water? Do you use a cross beam brace (I don't know the terminology for such an item) to keep the topsides from crushing? If so, do you have any photographs you could email so I know what I should be building? For this fall, my first with a Typhoon, I used the neighboring marina's travel lift but it seemed like overkill. I want to try my club's crane (good for 3,500 pounds) but don't know if I need the accessory or not.
Paul D.

Re: Hauling a Ty with a crane

Post by Paul D. »

Our marina uses a large, old Link Belt backhoe with a rigged attachment and a frame for hold the straps to lift our boats. It is driven by an old particular German. The frame is a square grid about 8'x8' steel tubing with hooks at the four corners for the straps. That frame is held by 4 steel cables to a single point on the boom and is placed right behind the mast. We remove the booms and place on the side decks for him to do this. I also remove my aft lowers and tape to the cap shrouds so the frame doesn't bang into them.

I imagine a typhoon would only need a 5 or 6 foot frame. You would need to consider the total height needed to account for the cables from the frame to your club's crane tip. An offhand guess would put that around 4 or 5 feet minimum.
Paul
CDSOA Member
pjust

Post by pjust »

Miraculously, this is how Dolcetto gets in and out every year: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cpu598vvj1ny5 ... 2.avi?dl=0
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
swparis85

Post by swparis85 »

That's wild!
I can't even guess at the age of that crawler crane.
It almost looked too shallow... but then, touchdown!
a sailor's joys are as simple as a child's
pjust

Post by pjust »

I'm not sure exactly how old the crane is. I believe the previous owner was Mike Mulligan. Faith is a beautiful thing.
Peter Just
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
Uffda

Post by Uffda »

Peter,
I was going to ask you if you needed a tow over to Clark Island or up the Keag river, but I guess you're all set.

Rolf
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Let me add to the bewilderment of haulout drama:

First: I had a posting link here that I removed cause I'm not smart enough with HTML to do it correctly...anyway have a post in my blog about this..

Second: Better yet, a still photo from the event:

Since having put a hard finish on my hull, I don't think I'll be using those steel forks at the Nationals next time however!

It's all about the Adventure :)
Last edited by Skeep on Nov 5th, '15, 06:14, edited 1 time in total.
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
pjust

Post by pjust »

Uffda wrote:Peter,
I was going to ask you if you needed a tow over to Clark Island or up the Keag river, but I guess you're all set.

Rolf
Thanks, Rolf! Skip has her out of the water and in my barn for the winter, but your offer is most greatly appreciated.
Peter Just