Galley Sink Drains --- A Word Of Caution

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Galley Sink Drains --- A Word Of Caution

Post by Evergreen »

Hello all:

We are currently at Deltaville, Maryland --- as we have been slowly working our way South.

Yesterday as we were preparing the weigh anchor, Sharon noticed that everything that we has stored under the galley sink was saturated. Upon further investigation I noted that the copper/bronze elbow of the sink drain was corroded completely through and subject to significant leaks. Of greatest concern was that now that our boat is completely over loaded for long term cruising the water line is now only slightly below this elbow --- consequently any healing or sloshing about of the boat results in seawater washing into the drain pipes. Mind you Evergreen is a 1986 boat and it obviously has the original galley drain in place. Fortunately, we were on board when the problem developed because if it had not been noticed it could have resulted in the vessel sinking.

I do not know if all these metal Cape Dory drain corrode over time. Of course it has had a very long time to do it. Perhaps the fact that salt water more often enters the drain now a days could be a contributing factor.

Regardless - I strongly suggest you investigate the condition of your drain and consider replacement.

Question: Has anyone ever replaced their galley sink drain and if so did you go with replacement of the original metal or did you go with plastic - and if so what kind of plastic????
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Re: Galley Sink Drains --- A Word Of Caution

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

I just had the drain in one of my home's bathroom sinks corrode leaving a large hole (we live on the water so corrosion is a never ending issue). My parents (who liveaboard a trawler) are here visiting and I asked my Dad "Do you think we should change all of the sink drains on our boats to plastic?!" Hearing your story makes me think that is a project well worth the time and effort!

I'm glad you caught it when you were aboard as you said. Disaster averted!
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Valuable posting. I'll be checking my 84 sink drain tomorrow. I presume I'm like most and do not routinely close that seacock when I leave the boat.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Jim Walsh wrote:Valuable posting. I'll be checking my 84 sink drain tomorrow. I presume I'm like most and do not routinely close that seacock when I leave the boat.
I don't know what most do, but the galley sink seacock on LIQUIDITY defaults to closed, whether I'm on board or not. I only open it while it's draining, typically... which is also a great way to retain gray water for reuse.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Neil Gordon wrote:
Jim Walsh wrote:Valuable posting. I'll be checking my 84 sink drain tomorrow. I presume I'm like most and do not routinely close that seacock when I leave the boat.
I don't know what most do, but the galley sink seacock on LIQUIDITY defaults to closed, whether I'm on board or not. I only open it while it's draining, typically... which is also a great way to retain gray water for reuse.
Whereas I, on the other hand, prefer my single malt straight up :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Early this season (the boat hit the water but never left the slings before water poured in) I had to replace the galley seacock backing plate. When I wen to to check it out I noticed that by merely touching the hose, the upper end was moving. The tail stock had been failed for a while but I had not noticed. I replaced the traps and the tailstocks (with bar sink ones from Lowes) but that is definitely the weak link in the system! I now close the seacock unless we are washing dishes. The hose is trying to pull the outboard sink tailstock away from the inboard sink end. Without forming the hose to the right "s" curve I don't see how to relieve the pull on the tail stock. I did replace the sea cock with a Groco one (I needed it on short notice) and it is a lot taller so there is more angle for the hose to take up. Over the winter I plan to replace it with a Spartan.

Anyone have any ideas?

Jeff
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Neil Gordon wrote:I don't know what most do, but the galley sink seacock on LIQUIDITY defaults to closed, whether I'm on board or not. I only open it while it's draining . . .
I will agree with Neil (our fearless Commodore :wink: ). One of the things I remember being drilled into me at every class I took that involved safety or boat care and maintenance was "except for cockpit seacocks, always close ALL seacocks not in actual use."

I am guessing this was the practice of the two prior caretakers of S/V Bali Ha'i because the only seacocks that are not frozen closed are the two cockpit seacocks and the engine raw water seacock. All other seacocks were (and some still are :( ) frozen shut.

I should add that the two cockpit seacocks are frozen in the "open" position. :? :(
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Russell

Post by Russell »

I went through the same issue, and issued the same word of caution several years back:

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21271

I went with standard PVC sink hardware.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Post by Evergreen »

Russell:

Many thanks for your response and the link to the previous thread. Very interesting!!!

So - you ended up going with Schedule 40 --- how has it held up in the long run??? Also, did you have any trouble getting fittings that adapted to the sink drains???
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Keith

Post by Keith »

The only seacock that I leave open when not on the boat is one of the cockpit drains. I alternate which one to give them equal exposer to the sea water
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

My sink drains into a 2 gal. bucket.
Not that much of an inconvenience to dump,
and no worries.

Cedat Fortuna Peritis
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

Keith wrote:The only seacock that I leave open when not on the boat is one of the cockpit drains. I alternate which one to give them equal exposer to the sea water
----------------
That is a very good plan.
It keeps the seacocks working due to excersizing them, and gives you piece of mind since you know they are workable. Thus on a bad day you can count on them working to close, safely shut. I would not want to go to sea in a boat which has seacocks known to be broke, stuck, clogged with crud, or otherwise be non-closeable.

That was the condition my boat was in when I bought it from the PO, and it will not be allowed to happen on my watch.
The standard testing of seacocks is performed by operating them on a regular basis before you go out, and before you launch. If you do not operate them regularly then they can get sticky, or worse, seize up, and be inoperable. Plus it lets the critters (barnacles, crabs) grow up inside the valves.
That did happen to me with the engine inlet strainer on a previous 27. It grew a little crab inside the scoop strainer until he got too big to get out, then the engine overheated one day. I ended up manually drilling a 3/16" center hole under water so I could get at him with a long skinny screwdriver to bust him up in little pieces which fell out. I always coated it internally afterwards.

The standard recommended maintenance for all seacocks is to dissassemble/inspect them when the boat is out of water (every 1.5 to 2 yrs in Florida), and grind/re-seat if necessary, and lube appropriately before going back in the water. Power flushing the hoses (and sinks) on a regular basis in the water also helps to chase out the critters and crud.
I also recommend making sure the metal non-moving submergerged metal parts are coated with bottom paint, including inside the engine strainer, and for any outboard engine inlet strainers and water passages left in the water.
My boat also had both of the original head gate valves plugged with externally hammered in wood plugs, with no other method of mechanical (plug) blocking. How long? No one knew. They could be full of wood eating ship worms for all I knew. No more.
Best wishes
Bob C
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Astronomertoo wrote:I would not want to go to sea in a boat which has seacocks known to be broke, stuck, clogged with crud, or otherwise be non-closeable. . . .
The standard testing of seacocks is performed by operating them on a regular basis before you go out, and before you launch. If you do not operate them regularly then they can get sticky, or worse, seize up, and be inoperable. . . .The standard recommended maintenance for all seacocks is to dissassemble/inspect them when the boat is out of water (every 1.5 to 2 yrs in Florida), and grind/re-seat if necessary, and lube appropriately before going back in the water.
Bob:

You are preaching to the choir. Sadly, I have been having a VERY difficult time trying to access three (3) of my seacocks. I have spent hours over several/many days trying to get my short, fat hands and arms into a position where I can access the nuts on the seacock housing. So far, no joy. Fortunately, or unfortunately, the two cockpit seacocks are stuck frozen in the "open" position. The sink drain seacock is stuck frozen in the "closed" position. This is mostly good except, as you observe, if something really bad happens. I do have several wood plugs (various sizes) and two (2) of those red/orange "soft" plugs. Hopefully, that would save the day.

I have another week to try and get at the seacocks. I am less than sanguine of positive results. However, I really need to launch and get back to my mooring by the last week in October. The journey continues; the enjoyment blossoms :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

You are preaching to the choir. Sadly, I have been having a VERY difficult time trying to access three (3) of my seacocks. I have spent hours over several/many days trying to get my short, fat hands and arms into a position where I can access the nuts on the seacock housing. So far, no joy. Fortunately, or unfortunately, the two cockpit seacocks are stuck frozen in the "open" position. The sink drain seacock is stuck frozen in the "closed" position. This is mostly good except, as you observe, if something really bad happens. I do have several wood plugs (various sizes) and two (2) of those red/orange "soft" plugs. Hopefully, that would save the day.

I have another week to try and get at the seacocks. I am less than sanguine of positive results. However, I really need to launch and get back to my mooring by the last week in October. The journey continues; the enjoyment blossoms :D[/quote]
---------
Roberto,
I do understand and commiserate with your difficulities. I waited too long to start my CD retirement project, and at 69, I might be less flexible than you are. And with the tighter confines of my older 1975 standard 25, even without the inboard engine, I have places I do not fit and can not reach, like the triple hose jointed connection between the little sink drain and the cockpit drains, which is intolerable, and shall change. Thus I am trying to improve a few unreachables by relocating some of them, while replacing the deteriorating rear bulkhead, and improperly revised forward cabin bulkheads. Besides, if I read this forum correctly it seems that a few single malts tend to help lubricate many of our more difficult tasks. I may have to research that approach when I re-work/replace all the aft bilge outlet hoses that funnel into THAT untouchable area. That alone would be worth hiring a skinny, small person with extra appendages! That will be after I remove, relocate and enlarge a few seacocks, and properly fill and fair the old holes in the hull.
I look forward to hearing and learning from other's progress. And also look foward to sailing again, one day.
Best wishes,
Bob C
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Astronomertoo wrote:... Besides, if I read this forum correctly it seems that a few single malts tend to help lubricate many of our more difficult tasks. I may have to research that approach when I re-work/replace all the aft bilge outlet hoses that funnel into THAT untouchable area. That alone would be worth hiring a skinny, small person with extra appendages!
A few single malts (or Guinness) purchased at the club bar just might get you that skinny long armed double jointed hero that you are looking for. It is a shame that we can no longer entice 12 year olds to crawl in to these places for us by offering them a Root Beer.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27