Farewell to Lady Pauline

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Russell

Farewell to Lady Pauline

Post by Russell »

Lady Pauline has a new owner in a couple days.

I owned her for about 11 years. I sailed about 20K miles with her(more actually, I stopped logging properly and didnt count the last couple thousand miles), back and fourth to the Caribbean several times. Over a dozen countries, countless experiences in those countries.

She was a great boat that never failed me. When I first bought her my buying criteria was basically "I want a boat that when shit gets so bad, I can crawl into a fetal position in a bunk and the boat will take care of me", and that she did a few times.

I succumbed finally to the need for more space and bought a Tayana 42, I dont expect my CD to forgive me, but the new owner I can already tell will take good care of her.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Farewell to Lady Pauline

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Congratulations Russell. Best wishes with your Tayana 42.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Best wishes, Russell. We'll miss you on this board, unless you stay in touch. BTW, after sailing to Bermuda five years ago (I was on the crew), George Van Drassek (Sp?) sold Isabelle, his CD33, and moved to a Tayana. Last I heard, he was very happy with her.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
mike ritenour

Post by mike ritenour »

Russell,
It was great to finally meet you and Lady Pauline in Oriental a few years ago.
Alas, i am also following you down road, selling my beloved LaVida after 23 years.
We also needed more space and are purchasing a Shearwater 45 Schooner, designed by Dudley Dix.
hope to see you out there, btw, what is your new boat's name?
Fair Winds,
Rit
Andy Denmark

Post by Andy Denmark »

Hey Russell,

Glad you've found a good place for Lady Pauline and I'm sure you'll hold many fond memories of the places, people and memories of your life's adventures with her.

We've shared a few of those, discussing our quite different lives, philosophies, and experiences during your visits to Oriental, and in a few other places while underway somewhere. One of the unheralded benefits of the sailing life is the diversity and knowledge shared with others who follow the same star. I appreciate the opportunities I've had to do this with you. I hope we can continue to enjoy our friendship and conviviality despite my displacement from my "home port" in Oriental and yours to a different boat.

Please continue to read and visit the CDSOA message board. Your posts and comments, coming from actual real-life experience and not some book, article or "consensus," bring readers closer to the realities of this lifestyle and the vessels that make it possible. Please don't forget us, man. You're a big part of the family.

Thanks --- all the best ... and I'll see you down the log,

Andy
s/v Rhiannon

"In order to be old and wise, one first must have been young and stupid ...
Russell

Post by Russell »

Thanks all.

The new owner came down from Alaska to Panama to buy the boat, a bit funny since I had last setup the boat for a trip to Alaska (which I still intend to take in the new boat).

Mike, indeed it was great to meet, our paths may cross again yet! The Tayana 42 will be named Unbroken Chain (after a favorite Grateful Dead song), I have not gotten to painting the new name on, too busy trying to rebuild the cruising kitty and fix up the new boat.

Andy, our times will never be forgotten in Oriental, literally drinking M&Ms dry of Goslings. I mean this honestly when I say I would have skipped past Oriental most of the time if it was not for being able to visit with you (and crawl around on your roof running wire in exchange for rides to Harris Teeter!). But we will certainly meet again, as I still plan on heading to Alaska then WA after that, I plan to buy some berrys from you on your daughters farm while we debate our very different political opinions good naturally with a dark and stormy in our hands.

The new owner of Lady Pauline does lurk here, not sure if he will drop in ever (he assured me before he even came to buy the boat that he had gone through years worth of my posts here).

I wont be posting as much, but that is mostly about work and focus on the new boat, but I will still be here.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Tom Keevil

Post by Tom Keevil »

Russell, best of luck with your new boat. Over the years I have found your posts here among the most knowledgeable and useful of anyone. Thanks for sharing.

I was seriously tempted by Lady Pauline, but we were in the middle of our Alaskan sailing adventure, and the logistics were too much for us. I think the new owner got a great deal on a great boat.

Rover is now back in British Columbia. Please stop to visit us on your way north and/or south.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC