Broken Throtle Cable Ruins Beautiful Day

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Broken Throtle Cable Ruins Beautiful Day

Post by Joe Myerson »

The season is rapidly coming to a close. Today I took advantage of a sparkling clear October afternoon to get in a quick sail. Winds were light, but weather was perfect. On the way off the mooring I noticed that my shift lever seemed really stiff.
Sure enough, when I started up the engine at the end of the day, the engine got up to speed, but when I tried to throtle back, I felt a SNAP. The engine continued to run at high (not top) speed. I was able to get back to the mooring, but could only run at fast, throw the shift into neutral and finally pull the stop cable and coast to the mooring.
The throtle cable had snapped. My question:
Can I replace the cable quickly and easily, or should I call Sea Tow, bring the boat to the yard for haul-out and have them replace it. It's just about time to haul out anyway, but the weather is GORGEOUS right now, and I know that October sailing is a rare pleasure.
Any advice?

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Broken Throtle Cable Ruins Beautiful Day

Post by Neil Gordon »

You don't need to haul the boat to replace the shift cable. Why not a tow to Parker's and fix it quickly in the water.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

At least it was kind enough to to fail close to home in mild conditions. :wink:
September and October are great sailing months.....it should be a fast fix so you can still get some sailing in this season. Good luck.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Keith

Post by Keith »

Why not try to throttle it down at the engine. not ideal but should work in a pinch. Leave the engine top hatch open and reach in to move the throttle as need to increase or decrease revs. Familiarized yourself with the location of the throttle when the engine is cold. I occasionally have to reach in to move the engine shutoff back to the open position. it sticks early in the season then is fine as it loosens up a bit after a bit of use.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

>>Why not try to throttle it down at the engine....<<

Exactly how they did it on my heavy cruiser 45 years ago! Lynne's going to be thrilled when you ask her to help you with this one!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Neil Gordon wrote:>>Why not try to throttle it down at the engine....<<

Exactly how they did it on my heavy cruiser 45 years ago! Lynne's going to be thrilled when you ask her to help you with this one!
But they had an engine-room crew and a "telegraph."

Still, i'll do some checking.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe Myerson wrote:
Neil Gordon wrote:>>Why not try to throttle it down at the engine....<<

But they had an engine-room crew and a "telegraph."

Still, i'll do some checking.

--Joe
Sure, but before that, they just yelled down a brass tube.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Don't listen to them, Joe. You may be the one getting "throttled". :roll:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Joe Myerson wrote:The season is rapidly coming to a close. Today I took advantage of a sparkling clear October afternoon to get in a quick sail. Winds were light, but weather was perfect. On the way off the mooring I noticed that my shift lever seemed really stiff.
Sure enough, when I started up the engine at the end of the day, the engine got up to speed, but when I tried to throtle back, I felt a SNAP. The engine continued to run at high (not top) speed. I was able to get back to the mooring, but could only run at fast, throw the shift into neutral and finally pull the stop cable and coast to the mooring.
The throtle cable had snapped. My question:
Can I replace the cable quickly and easily, or should I call Sea Tow, bring the boat to the yard for haul-out and have them replace it. It's just about time to haul out anyway, but the weather is GORGEOUS right now, and I know that October sailing is a rare pleasure.
Any advice?

--Joe
Did the cable actually snap, or did the cable slip out of the linkage? If it slipped out of the linkage, then you may only need to replace a machine screw and plate and you'll be back in business. If the cable snapped, it's not that difficult to replace. You can look in the CD manuals available on this site for the original model. Or you could disconnect the cable and bring it to a marine engine shop and buy a matching replacement. It's not that complex a job, usually the toughest part is contorting yourself to get access. If all else fails, have a mechanic change it for you while still in the water. Don't give up the last few weeks of the season over this!!
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
Squid

Post by Squid »

Two seasons ago... Similar story.. My last underway before the winterize dance. Got underway and about 10 feet from the dock and "Clink".... no transmission. We maneuvered to a piling and warped the boat back into her slip....

Anyway, that winter, the one two years ago that sucked real bad, I spent some time under the pedestal replacing both linkages. I called Edson and they were VERY helpful in explaining the process. In fact the owner happened to be working the service desk that day and walked me through the process or replacing the linkages. The repair is not difficult just very time consuming because of "It's on a boat" thing. Access to the area etc. .... If you want send me a PM and I would be more than happy to let you know how or what it took to repair. It's an hour eater so I opted NOT to pay the yard and did it myself.
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Squid wrote:Two seasons ago... Similar story.. My last underway before the winterize dance. Got underway and about 10 feet from the dock and "Clink".... no transmission. We maneuvered to a piling and warped the boat back into her slip....

Anyway, that winter, the one two years ago that sucked real bad, I spent some time under the pedestal replacing both linkages. I called Edson and they were VERY helpful in explaining the process. In fact the owner happened to be working the service desk that day and walked me through the process or replacing the linkages. The repair is not difficult just very time consuming because of "It's on a boat" thing. Access to the area etc. .... If you want send me a PM and I would be more than happy to let you know how or what it took to repair. It's an hour eater so I opted NOT to pay the yard and did it myself.

I wholeheartedly agree that replacing the throttle cable to a pedestal is a bigger job, and quite an hour-eater. I did that on my 32. Joe's 25D probably has a cockpit-mounted throttle/shifter, which is materially less involved to replace a cable. I am not familiar with the exact anatomy of the 25D, but it should be a matter of leaning into a cockpit locker and disconnecting it from the dry side of the controller on the aft end, and off the engine on the other end, and any interim cable ties or mounts that may be in place.
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Bill Goldsmith wrote:I wholeheartedly agree that replacing the throttle cable to a pedestal is a bigger job, and quite an hour-eater. I did that on my 32. Joe's 25D probably has a cockpit-mounted throttle/shifter, which is materially less involved to replace a cable. I am not familiar with the exact anatomy of the 25D, but it should be a matter of leaning into a cockpit locker and disconnecting it from the dry side of the controller on the aft end, and off the engine on the other end, and any interim cable ties or mounts that may be in place.
That is exactly what we have on or 27. I can not imagine that the 25D would be much different. I think it would be a 30 minute job,once you had the parts.

Roberto, what say you... ????
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Squid

Post by Squid »

Thanks Bill and understand, you are spot on.... Of note, if anyone wants to know the anatomy of the Edson Pedestal cable replacement I am, unfortunately an unwilling expert.... I also know the insulation factor the a fiberglass hull in the engine compartment of a Cape Dory...
Did you know if you spend enough time back there and breath in the cold air enough.... a bit of frost will form on some stuff... Something I simply never wanted to find out... being a SOCAL native... BUT, it got fixed straight up good...!
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
steveg

Post by steveg »

Hi Joe,

Can't you sail off the mooring and back without ever needing the engine? I do it all the time. It is far more pleasant than listening to the hammering noise the engine makes. As far as having a tow it is not really necessary. Secure a dingy with a small outboard to the side of your boat with some bumpers in the between if the dinghy does not have a good rub rail. Have the bow line of the dingy tight to the bow cleat and the stern line tight to the stern cleat, put the outboard in gear and away you go. It really does not take very much hp to move your boat. You can steer with the tiller and may require a hand to operate the outboard.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Check out Joe's harbor on google earth

Tight and tidal
Sailing off the mooring might be hairy?