A tribute to my sailing mistress

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mike ritenour

A tribute to my sailing mistress

Post by mike ritenour »

Wow I never thought the day would come when I would be parting with my lovely vessel, LaVida.
Over the years I have "held hands" with many other CD owners as they either bought another CD or left the CD family all together, all the while comforting myself, with the thought, that it would never be me suffering those pangs.
Well now it is me and I am filled with emotion, born by 23 years of her unfailing service in keeping my many crew and her Captain safe from harm.
How does one describe the tens of thousands of moments of joy, hundreds of moments of terror and many many hours of peaceful sleep that she has provided .
Sadly, now it is time to move on.
I am hoping that she will find a wonderful home, with owners who will hold her as dear as we have.
So, I raise my glass to one of the best damn vessels a man can ever care for, LaVida.
Fair Winds ole girl! You will always be in my heart!
David van den Burgh

Re: A tribute to my sailing mistress

Post by David van den Burgh »

Glad I had the chance to meet both of you back at Beaver Island!

Fair Winds,

David
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

Nice post Mike. Is La Vida for sale or has she been sold already?

As you may know, we had Aloha Spirit on the market a couple of years ago. I was going nuts. I remember standing in the shower crying. First Mate First Class Paula stepped in and took her off the market. Now, every time we sail her, we know that we made the right decision. We just love the Aloha Spirit so much.

A couple of weeks ago we were sailing the Chesapeake together. Paula asked me, " Money no object, what is your dream boat?" It took me some time to answer. I have often dreamed of a CD36. Then there is always a Morris or a Shannon out there perhaps. And, then it occurred to me. The Aloha Spirit is my dream boat. I can easily handle her by myself and she makes for a great retreat when we need to get away from the world.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
mike ritenour

Post by mike ritenour »

Thanks for the kind words. It is a trying time.
Yes, LaVida is for sale
I have not given her to a broker yet, hoping I can find a buyer here and save everyone some money.
We are purchasing a Shearwater 45 Schooner for our retirement voyages.
With grandchildren growing up, we have run out of room!
How ever I still have my little typhoon, so I still will have a CD in the family!
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Rit,

I'm glad we met once, years ago, on Buzzards Bay.
Personally, I can't imagine parting with my old CD25D, but for a 45-foot schooner--well, maybe. Enjoy your retirement voyages.

Best,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
mike ritenour

Post by mike ritenour »

Thanks Joe, I remember that day very well.
If my memory serves me correctly, it was in 2008 on our way to Maine.
Had a lot of fun with the fleet that day!
Rit
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Congratulations on your choice of the Shearwater 45. Dudley Dix has some wonderful designs to his credit. I spoke to him at the Woodenboat Show a couple years back. He is fascinating to talk to and has a wealth of knowledge.
A staysail schooner is a good choice for short handed sailing. Only a select few on the planet ever get to order the crew to "hand the gollywobbler". :)
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

mike ritenour wrote:Thanks Joe, I remember that day very well.
If my memory serves me correctly, it was in 2008 on our way to Maine.
Had a lot of fun with the fleet that day!
Rit
That was the BBQ at Parker's, in Red Brook Harbor.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Nice exit Rit. I hope La Vida finds a proud new owner. Many times I have lusted over her cockpit access hatch!

The Shearwater 45 is a nice boat. If its a schooner it must be one of the first two made. The South African yards do a really nice job and they know the sea. I was impressed by the SA boats I saw in the fleet we sailed with sailed to Australia back in the day.

Good luck and enjoy. I hope we see you again out here in western Lake Superior. Where else could you sail a schooner into Schooner Bay!
Paul
CDSOA Member
mike ritenour

Post by mike ritenour »

Thanks Paul
Still hanging on the paperwork, importing and the like.
Hope to have it all done soon!
Yes the yard, Fraser Yachts built her to excellent standards.
Sad to see my lady go, but I think she understands the need for more grandchildren room!
Sea u
Andy Denmark

Post by Andy Denmark »

Hey Ritt,

I didn't realize, and neither did you, that our sail up from Melbourne last March on La Vida was going to be my last on her. Those long days --- dark to dark --- were a kick despite me running her aground. Great boat, properly fitted out, and with everything working she was a joy to sail and live aboard. I hope we get a chance to repeat on your new boat. Dix designed some exceptional boats and I think you made a wise choice. Just thinkling out loud, is this Dan's boat by chance?

I'm in south Florida again this winter but boatless --- Rhiannon is still in Oriental and Maggie and I are going up there to sail somewhere over Thanksgiving but no long treks scheduled until next summer. While there I'll winterize her and we'll head back to Bonita Springs. I came within a gnat's hair of trading up to a CD-30 a few weeks ago but it didn't work out. Still my favorite boat especially now that I'm attaining some maturity

Mag & i are headed to the CDSOA get together in a few weeks and will saill some if we can get a ride. I have a shot at taking a Justine 36 to Marsh Harbor right after New Years but waiting for a southing rotation is damn near impossible this late in the season. That's a nice ride, though, and on a boat I've sailed on several Bahamas deliveries a decade ago for the present owner's parents.

Stay in touch, my friend, and I look forward to seeing your new boat in the logbook before too much longer.

Andy
s/v Rhiannon

"In order to be old and wise, one first must have been young and stupid ...
plumber

Post by plumber »

Mike,
It is a sad day when we make the decision to move on and sell a much loved boat, more so when its a Cape Dory that has served you well for a period of your life. I do know how that feels. When we made the decision to look for another boat our first thought was to find another CD but one was not to be found and we found another. My only disappointment with our new boat was to have her sink the first season we owned her. but after 7 years of work she now sails anew.
I will surely miss your phone calls as you pass by our house heading down the canal and meeting you at the locks.
But leaving the CD family is not as easy as one might think, I found a 14 and she now sits on her trailer in NC just waiting for me.
Next fall we will be leaving New York for warmer digs and we will be bringing our boat to her new home in Southport NC. We will at least be living part of what was going to be our retirement dream (before the sinking) of some extended sailing in tropical waters in the winter months
I will be otherwise walking distance from the inter-coastal so if you pass by I do expect a call!
Wendy and I have very much enjoyed our time when you were around and are better people for the experience. I would hope we will cross paths and be able to share tales and tip a few.
Fair winds and following seas my friend.
Brace & Wendy
mike ritenour

Post by mike ritenour »

Yo Brace and Wendy,
Great to hear from you!
Thanks for the kind words.
Yes, it's a sad day, but the grand kids have out grown LaVida.
Actually I will be coming into Southport this week.
Same phone number?
Hope to sea u
Rit
plumber

Post by plumber »

Yep , same # but we won't be there till end of December.