Bean Bag Chairs

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Bean Bag Chairs

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

A friend of mine introduced me to the value of bean bag chairs on boats a long time ago. I mentioned it in a post the other day and figured I'd upload a couple photos to show their virtue. They make even the least ergonomic spots on the boat impressively comfortable, help provide a secure seating position when heeling under sail, and serve as about the best man-overboard markers I've seen (they float almost 100% above the water making them nearly impossible to lose sight of). When I lived aboard several years ago I kept a small one down below in the cabin with 1/2 of the stuffing removed (leaving it still comfortable but far easier to stow out of the way). They also provide a nice and high seating position behind the helm offering fairly good visibility.

Tough life:

Enroute home after a week in the Chesapeake:
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: Bean Bag Chairs

Post by tjr818 »

Those look great. Did you buy them , or do you have a pattern for them?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Very cool. The "tough life" photograph is fantastic. Every once in a while you just catch your child at the right moment. :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

We bought them. One is a cheap vinyl one from Walmart- it is round and cost around $15. The other is "marine quality" from a custom shop. It is tear drop shaped and feels very heavy duty. It also cost about 10x more. While I prefer the tear drop shape, the $15 Walmart bean bag does the job every bit as well as the custom one. The advantage to the custom bag is of course the ability to chose size, color, etc. I actually paid for neither- the custom one was a gift and the Walmart one was purchased by a friend who was helping me move the boat up the coast. At our first port call he ran into a nearby Walmart after deciding the boat needed as many bean bags as crew members.

Regarding the photo of my son, I totally agree. I love the picture. We were becalmed at the time and I didn't have the heart to turn on the iron wind for fear of waking him!
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Those bean bag chairs seem to be the preferred sleeping arrangement for center cockpit, fishing boats doing overnight trips. I never considered needing one but it might be better than a bunch of boat cushions in the cockpit.

What happens if they get wet? Back support is good, Steve.
Jeff and Sarah

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

I haven't had an problems from them getting wet. I often leave them in the cockpit when at the dock and just toss them under the dodger. No problems yet!
oldragbaggers

Post by oldragbaggers »

After reading your mention of the bean bag chairs in another post last week I started a thread on Cruisers Forum just to see how many people use them. I was surprised at how many people say they wouldn't sail with out them. It surprised me mostly because we have been sailing for so many years and I had never once thought of them. One poster called them "required software for a Pacific Crossing," and several people mentioned putting several in the cockpit and sleeping on them.

Thank you for bringing a great idea to my attention. I see that Burda has a pattern for one that is in the teardrop shape (sort of) so I plan to make a couple and cover them with Sunbrella.
Lance & Becky Williams
Happily retired and cruising aboard our dreamboat, Anteris
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/anteris/
https://www.facebook.com/oldragbaggers
Jeff and Sarah

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Be sure to post a picture of your finished product. I'm sure they'll look fantastic in sunbrella. My marine one is a high quality vinyl that looks and feels pretty close to soft leather. The cheap Walmart one is cheap vinyl- both dry quickly work very well. No doubt sunbrella is a good choice too. I looked up your cruisersforum post and saw several warnings about the filling material- heed those warnings. The stuff is so light and tends to cling to everything (I guess through a static charge) so it would certainly be a nightmare if the filling got loose in a boat. We haven't had a problem yet but I dread the thought of it!
oldragbaggers

Post by oldragbaggers »

Thanks for mentioning about the filling. I plan to make a liner out of muslin or and old sheet or something for an extra layer of protection. And I'll be sure to do the filling away from the boat!! :)
Lance & Becky Williams
Happily retired and cruising aboard our dreamboat, Anteris
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/anteris/
https://www.facebook.com/oldragbaggers