DC black and white wires

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

swpatooty2

Re: DC black and white wires

Post by swpatooty2 »

Lucas -- The Prince of Darkness.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

I think we could start a whole new thread on Lucas. I know that my 59 Austin Healy stopped running when the smoke escaped from behind the Dash :cry:

Positive Earth, I believe they that called that system.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Doug Hill

Post by Doug Hill »

I had a Triumph Spitfire once. Not much fire, but ah, the smoke...I do remember the smoke!

Fair winds,
Doug
Doug Hill
Northoceanbeach

Post by Northoceanbeach »

Oh! Isn't Lucas who made the electronics for the classic land rovers? I heard they sucked! I thought it was a funny joke. But it's a moot point, people don't use cd's anymore so we have a troll. People use MP3 players and plug them into their boat stereo,
. Nice try.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Northoceanbeach wrote:... people don't use cd's anymore so we have a troll. People use MP3 players and plug them into their boat stereo,
. Nice try.
Sure, except when the boat's more than 30 years old, you never know what you might find.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

When I tore out the speaker wire the PO had used to power my radio...

I used wire with a yellow ground. What I did not do was to wire the memory to a constant source. If you do that, there will be a constant drain on the battery. It may not be much but having the radio remember radio stations is just not that important to me. When I find a good one, no matter where I happen to be, I write it down with a pencil on the inside of the ice box lid. I record the frequency and the general location of where it came in. Some areas have great music stations and others not so much. I suppose I could keep a list by the radio but the lid list has become a habit and never drains the battery, Steve.
Ann and David Brownlee

Post by Ann and David Brownlee »

I also chose to connect the yellow wire to the hot lead, not directly to the battery. So the radio will forget the presets and it will always be high noon aboard the yacht Windrush.
Ann and David Brownlee
Cape Dory 31 #1 "Windrush"
Havre de Grace, MD
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

Steve Laume wrote:When I tore out the speaker wire the PO had used to power my radio...

I used wire with a yellow ground. What I did not do was to wire the memory to a constant source. If you do that, there will be a constant drain on the battery. It may not be much but having the radio remember radio stations is just not that important to me. When I find a good one, no matter where I happen to be, I write it down with a pencil on the inside of the ice box lid. I record the frequency and the general location of where it came in. Some areas have great music stations and others not so much. I suppose I could keep a list by the radio but the lid list has become a habit and never drains the battery, Steve.
With many of today's stereos it can be a lot more than just radio stations. Some forget you had set it up for an iPod, AUX input, crossover points, zones, amp & speaker settings and equalizer settings to name just a few. Some also lose your Sirius log in..

A Kenwood I installed a few weeks ago was drawing 0.003A on the memory wire. It would take an entire week to use just 0.5 Ah and two full weeks to use just 1 Ah..... If stereo memory is an issue there is a simple solution... Use your boat more.... :)
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

A bit of thread drift, but… We use a portable bluetooth speaker for music aboard (the model we use is a JBL Charge). It works great, can plug into a 12V outlet to charge and can also charge a phone or MP3 player from its own battery. It rode with me on the bow today for about 4 hours while we motored up the Chesapeake and we often put it on the cabin top under the dodger when we are in the cockpit. It can even come along for dinghy adventures. No milliamp draw from the batteries either :) though that isn't a worry with our new charging system.
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

A Kenwood I installed a few weeks ago was drawing 0.003A on the memory wire. It would take an entire week to use just 0.5 Ah and two full weeks to use just 1 Ah..... If stereo memory is an issue there is a simple solution... Use your boat more.... :)
There are products with non-volatile memory that retain station presets, audio settings and setup menu option settings (no third wire, no milliamp draw).
This one also has Bluetooth http://www.jensenmarinedirect.com/am-fm ... tooth.html

but, I too find a portable Bluetooth speaker very convenient.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

I leave the stereo, radio, iPod, and TV at home and just sing sea shanties.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

I leave the stereo, radio, iPod, and TV at home and just sing sea shanties.
One might want to be able to blast "Ride of the Valkyries" when pulling into a Vietnamese harbor (or is that just wrong? :oops: )
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

hilbert wrote:One might want to be able to blast "Ride of the Valkyries" when pulling into a Vietnamese harbor (or is that just wrong? :oops: )
I blasted into Haiphong in '72. That was quite enough.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

Neil Gordon wrote:
hilbert wrote:One might want to be able to blast "Ride of the Valkyries" when pulling into a Vietnamese harbor (or is that just wrong? :oops: )
I blasted into Haiphong in '72. That was quite enough.
--------
Ha!
First of all, most car type stereos use all kinds of colors to connect up all their extra stuff. And if you do not care about lack of protection or fire, you can hook up your phantom power directly to a battery, bypassing the switch panel, fuses, and primary battery shut off. I would never do that on my boat. A safer way is to at least neatly add a small fuse block at the battery to supply that power that does not go thru, and be protected by the panel. You probably would not want a wire shorting somewhere with no fuse, and the resulting fire, even if not aboard. Have you ever seen what a mouse can to to electrical wires? I have seen the results after bad workmanship, and bypassing design codes.
Second, the current trend of using blue tooth, wifi and even low resolution MP3 for use on board is fine for those who like it. Very few sailors are using high resolution, or even CDs anymore on board, and most everyone has become used to the Apple downloads which are not better than CD quality, but are handy That is not a troll.
Sailing is for fun, and whatever you like to listen to is good. And many of us music nuts have digitized our CDs into equal resolution, or added better resolution music to our copmputers so we can carry a good copy on a laptop along with us, and either use good headphones, or send it blue tooth to another component for listening, anywhere we go.

Oh yeah, the Ride of the V....
I preferred the movie to being there. But the Direct to Disk, Sheffield album is also way more dynamic.
Bob C
Mobile Crypto Tech in country 69-70, ets 1-71
Tay Ninh, Cu Chi, plus numerous satellite sites
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

hilbert wrote:
There are products with non-volatile memory that retain station presets, audio settings and setup menu option settings (no third wire, no milliamp draw).
This one also has Bluetooth http://www.jensenmarinedirect.com/am-fm ... tooth.html

but, I too find a portable Bluetooth speaker very convenient.
The sad reality is that every car or marine stereo should have been using NVM 25 years ago...... :wink: While a few are finally putting NVM in there, finding them with all the features you want still requires some digging...
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles