TY Topping lift at boom...

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

RLW

TY Topping lift at boom...

Post by RLW »

My project boat has a makeshift topping lift attachment to the boom. Is someone willing to post a photo of what it likely looked like in 1975? Thanks in advance!
Rich W.
s/v CARAL (a tribute to Carl Alberg)
CD Typhoon #995 (useable project boat) (sold)
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI
Jeff D

Re: TY Topping lift at boom...

Post by Jeff D »

I don't know what it looked like in 1975, but this is how it looked in 1985 (with a few new pieces).
Attachments
IMG_2384.JPG
IMG_2384.JPG (98.69 KiB) Viewed 552 times
IMG_2383.JPG
IMG_2383.JPG (103.07 KiB) Viewed 552 times
RLW

Post by RLW »

Jeff,

Thanks for the photos. I think I need to update my boom. It's a roller reefing version which I understand from other posts was never ideal. It does not lend itself well to the conventional topping lift cheek block leading to a boom mounted cleat. I also read that sail shape is poor with this type of reefing arrangement, which is understandable.

Here's a photo of what came with my boat; you can see the makeshift arrangement! Thanks again for your post!
Attachments
IMG_7143.JPG
IMG_7143.JPG (1.94 MiB) Viewed 535 times
Rich W.
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI
Jeff D

Post by Jeff D »

Other than the black paint your boom looks the same as mine. I added the carbine hook to make it easier to remove the topping lift. I also added the outhaul block that was in my earlier post. When I bought my DS it too had roller reefing. When I purchased a new main I had one medium reef installed and replaced the gooseneck assembly with one set up for jiffy reefing. The other line in my earlier post is the aft jiffy reefing line. I purchased the parts from Rig Rite, which while they took a long time to arrive, fit well.
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

I'm not sure if this helps but this is the simple reefing system I employ via a Dwyer reef hook attached to my original gooseneck, then a one-piece tang at the end of the boom similar to others systems like JeffD shows and then I have a topping lift which I hook into the tang which ascends to the top of mast to a cheek block then back to a mast eyelet where I quick tie it for releasing and hauling up.

In the next photo is a close up of the end of the boom:

Hope some of this helps you decide what you want? I'm not sure what ideal would be for each person, but I have come to work with this and actually find it rather simple to employ the reef and to de-rig once out on the water when I raise the mainsail. Easy-Peasey.
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
RLW

Post by RLW »

Great photos...and a big help, especially in light of your other boom post. Thanks Skeep!
Rich W.
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

You're welcome Rich, actually I'm looking for an easier "single line" system so I don't have to risk hitting myself in the face with those little black balls. If someone has this and could display it, that would be fantastic. Sometimes descriptions just go over my head. Seeing is much easier to conceive after reading something.
Skeep
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Skeep wrote:so I don't have to risk hitting myself in the face with those little black balls.
What are you talking about? It's hard to tell from the pictures, but are you using bungee's in place of reefing pendants to neaten the bunt of your reefed main?
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

Yes, they were convenient and worked well. The clew is held w a separate line although it appears to have a bungee. Tack has the hook.
Skeep