WTB...Typhoon boom.

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.

Moderator: bobdugan

RLW

WTB...Typhoon boom.

Post by RLW »

I have a roller reefing boom on my project TY. I am interested in using a conventional boom if I can find one for a reasonable cost. I realize that I could configure the boom of my little boat's dreams by writing a check to Rig Rite, but new would be way out of character for my 40 year old girl! Does anyone have any leads? Thanks in advance
Attachments
IMG_7156.JPG
IMG_7156.JPG (2.3 MiB) Viewed 273 times
Rich W.
s/v CARAL (a tribute to Carl Alberg)
CD Typhoon #995 (useable project boat) (sold)
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI
Jeff D

Re: WTB...Typhoon boom.

Post by Jeff D »

The low budget solution is to use a line to hold down the luff side reef point to the tack. Alternatively you could install a reefing horn on your existing boom. Either would work well and not require a call to RR
RLW

Post by RLW »

If I decide to modify the existing boom, your ideas make good sense. I was thinking about using a conventional boom (if I can find one) and put the "original" aside in the event I wanted to play with roller reefing at some time in the future. Thanks for the thoughts.
Rich W.
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Regarding the roller furling boom: At first I was a bit pissed at it, and groused quite a bit to be rolling up my mainsail each time I put her to bed. But after accepting the awkward characteristics of using it, I've actually begun to enjoy rolling up my sail this way. It seems much tidier ( is that a word? ) and presents well. However, I do not have any info on another substitution to get away from the roller boom as we both have currently except to write that check. Have you considered Dwyer ( https://www.dwyermast.com/default.asp )? Rolling seems to suit her:

Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I am not sure I understand your problem.

The boom you have will work just fine with slab reefing. You just need to add some simple hardware. A pad eye on on the port side and a check block on the starboard then a cleat up near the mast. Instead of worrying about a new boom, you need to get your mainsail to a sail maker to have reef points added. To hold the tack at the mast, some simple attachment points on the mast will do it quite nicely. Raven has a pad eye on the port side and a cleat to starboard a foot or so below the goose neck. You could use two cleats. Run a line up through the reef cringle from the pad eye and then cleat it off on the other side. End of problem. You could still roll up the sail it that is how you chose to stow it, Steve.
RLW

Post by RLW »

Steve...
It's not a problem...I understand how to modify my boom, but what I didn't say is that I have this "originality" complex. I'm thinking of having a boom with the more conventional set up as you describe, and ALSO keeping the original (type) boom without a bunch of extra holes in it in the event I ever wanted to return it to "as it was in 1975."
Skeep...
Your boat looks great! And thanks for showing me what a roll up looks like! I thought it was barely useable as a reefing arrangement, let alone a stowage method. Do you stow the main in this fashion every time? What were the key factors that moved you from aggravated to comfortable with the arrangement? You've motivated me to work with what I have for now and see if I like it. Heck; I haven't even splashed yet, let alone tried the boom! If I do like the boom as is, that black paint goes! BTW...we're going sailing tonight for a week and a half, and then the Ty goes in! Thanks again.
Rich W.
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI