Boatyard Suggestions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ColoradoCD27

Boatyard Suggestions

Post by ColoradoCD27 »

I have CD27 #277(last one made) in Colorado. I had a new Triad trailer built for her about 5 years ago, so she is mobile. My transmission has failed(Westerbeke 13/Hurth) and no one locally can pull it to potentially ship for repairs. I also have an Edson steering system I bought about three years ago and have failed to find anyone locally who can install it. So, I am planning to ship her somewhere this winter to have this work done, and potentially the hull. I did get a new gel coat on the deck about two years ago, so that job is done. So, I need suggestions for boatyards to do this work. I would prefer South Carolina or Georgia for a warmer Spring shake down mini cruise before shipping her back to Colorado. Thanks.
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Re: Boatyard Suggestions

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

It's way off your course, but I would want my boat worked on by Tim Lackey at Lackey Sailing in Maine. But spring comes a bit later there.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
ColoradoCD27

Post by ColoradoCD27 »

Thanks Jerry, I have also been considering Robinhood Marine up there, as they still have some of the original Cape Dory guys. Is it that you have been happy with Lackey? Have you done much work with them?
joemerchant

Post by joemerchant »

Closest A+ Yard is Oklahoma. Cedar Mills is first choice. Used to build Valiant Yachts there and still have most of the staff. Lake is not that bad sailing. Weather may still be cool and unpredictable in early spring with thunder storms.

If you are like me and work for a living and not a lot of time on your hands and looking for a good place for early spring, I would probably pick one of the following from Denver based upon climate, predictable weather, and quality of a sailing vacation.

Early Spring, starting in Colorado, good yards, good weather that time of year, a great sailing vacation with limited time.

San Diego to LA. Good yards, and a great shakedown is Catalina Island. Easy sail to the Island and around the West Coast. Normally predictable and mild weather, no depth finder required! Catalina is as close to a med destination we have in the US and sailing weather is over 300 days a year.
Corpus Christi. Down the ICW to South Padre, then outside to Port Aransas. A lot of scenery down the ICW here, light traffic, nice blue water around South Padre, great winds and normally predictable mild weather in the spring and the whole trip is normally a beam reach. Keep that one a secret.
Dog Harbor, AL. Good Yards. On a 27' sailboat, lots to do and see between Dog Harbor and Destin. Can still be cold at night and morning in early spring with a Norther.
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

I haven't had my boat worked on there. But I have been following his work on the internet (he posts daily photo logs of his progress) for years and I've had the opportunity to ask questions of him on my own projects. His website is like a graduate level course in boat restoration. Take a look at the website and see for yourself.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
godspeed

Post by godspeed »

if you are willing to travel, cape may is loaded with first class yards. i have been at Utsch's marina for 25 years. great mechanics, good service. but you have a long way to haul. our spring launch dates begin april 15. lots of wind.
could you share the info you have on your edson system. i have a 27 and want to change the steering system i have to something that gives me more room in the cockpit. don't necessarily want to go back to a tiller, and i saw you have an edson system. would you mind sharing the info on the system they provided you?
Steve Tompkins
CD 27 #71 Godspeed
Cape May
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

godspeed wrote:if you are willing to travel, cape may is loaded with first class yards. i have been at Utsch's marina for 25 years. great mechanics, good service. but you have a long way to haul. our spring launch dates begin april 15. lots of wind.
could you share the info you have on your edson system. i have a 27 and want to change the steering system i have to something that gives me more room in the cockpit. don't necessarily want to go back to a tiller, and i saw you have an edson system. would you mind sharing the info on the system they provided you?
Steve,
What system do you have, if you don't have Edison? I would love to have a small wheel closer to the aft bulkhead, one where I could sit to the side of the wheel and steer rather than standing behind it.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
ColoradoCD27

Post by ColoradoCD27 »

I don't have the Edson model numbers. I am not sure it matters which pedestal you choose from them, as that seemed to be an option. I think it is the quadrant that attaches to the rudder post that needs to be at the right angle. I would be happy to share pictures if I manage to get this one installed this Winter.