Pintle Gudgeon Play on CD30?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

dasneilanator

Pintle Gudgeon Play on CD30?

Post by dasneilanator »

On my way down to the Carribean I noticed play at the bottom of the rudder. Sarah was taken out of the water in St. Croix and I was able to measure about 1/16inch play in the pintle/gudgeon system. Meaning 1/32inch on each side of the pintle.

The Cape Dory owners manual indicates that there should be "little to no play" at the bottom of the rudder. My question is, does 1/16 inch count as little play?

Steve Laume

Re: Pintle Gudgeon Play on CD30?

Post by Steve Laume »

I am not sure how much is acceptable but it has taken @ 30 years to get that much so I don't know that I would be too worried unless I was planning a circumnavigation, Steve.
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

1/16" is tiny and not at all a concern. I'd pull the shoe off and inspect when it's noticeably over 1/4".
James
John Ring

Post by John Ring »

1/16" doesn't sound like a problem. My CD36 pintle was flopping around about 1/4" and had to come out for new bushings.

John
CD36 Tiara
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.