Ty hull deformation from trailer

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Re: Ty hull deformation from trailer

Post by bhartley »

I personally wouldn't do anything to fix deformities for a year or two -- or more. Our Sea Sprite had been sitting on her trailer for so long that the wood on the poppets had rotted out and the bolt heads were supporting the hull in at least one place. Four very pronounced dimples. We did nothing to them and they went away on their own after a while. I can't tell you how long since one year I just noticed that I couldn't find them any more! I have before pictures somewhere that I will dredge up for you.

Bly
swparis85

Post by swparis85 »

Was able to get down to where the boat is parked this weekend. Went to town on the cabin with bleach solution and magic erasers. Those things work great!
The mold came off much easier than I was expecting.
Quite glad to have the boat in a condition that I wouldn't mind going sailing in.
2 issues which I noticed this weekend:
1) exposed hull where paint chipped off. does it go all the way through the barrier coat, or is that just a bit of old bottom paint that has chipped off there?
2) rudder appears to have worn through to bare metal on the rudder post near the top. Is this common? I assume I'll have to disassemble the whole rudder to address this? ...maybe it's sound enough to sail for a few months? I'm hoping I can have her in the water this fall on the Rappahannock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
a sailor's joys are as simple as a child's
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Looks like you are making progress. I has some black mold problems but on a smaller scale - in the lazarette area. Note that black mold is NOT something to mess around with. If you haven't done so already i would wear a respirator when doing the work below. Also, I believe the spores might still be present even though it looks clean. From what I had read before, the best thing to really kill black mold is some kind of Ionization machine. But that might be overkill...who knows. I do think though wearing a respirator and tyvek suit is a good idea. My 2 cents...

Re the chip - it appears to be just 800 years of bottom paint. If the white area is shiny, then you have gelcoat, if you see fiber patterns you're in the laminate.

Strange that the fiberglass has worn away from the rudder in that manner. it's almost like something was rubbing against it. Good chance your rudder might be water logged - BAD thing. You may want to sound it out/use a moisture meter.

swparis85 wrote:Was able to get down to where the boat is parked this weekend. Went to town on the cabin with bleach solution and magic erasers. Those things work great!
The mold came off much easier than I was expecting.
Quite glad to have the boat in a condition that I wouldn't mind going sailing in.
2 issues which I noticed this weekend:
1) exposed hull where paint chipped off. does it go all the way through the barrier coat, or is that just a bit of old bottom paint that has chipped off there?
2) rudder appears to have worn through to bare metal on the rudder post near the top. Is this common? I assume I'll have to disassemble the whole rudder to address this? ...maybe it's sound enough to sail for a few months? I'm hoping I can have her in the water this fall on the Rappahannock.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
swparis85

Post by swparis85 »

I was gratuitous with the bleach solution.... I hope that's enough to kill the mold spores. That, and I intend to keep things nice and dry from now on. Definitely didn't wear a respirator- in fact i stripped down to my shorts because I didn't want to bleach any of my shirts! got a bit of a sunburn, but that's about all.
a sailor's joys are as simple as a child's
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

rudder issue may need immediate solution before launching. There are reports on this web site of the rudder falling off - a characteristic of the Ty. If the core is Ok, you need to reattach the metal rudder rod with fiberglass cloth and resin - taking care not to overthicken the rudder so it rotates to the port and stbd stops properly. Any moisture in the rudder is likely to expand and crack upon freezing - so if there are no cracks, it may still be dry. Reattach and repaint with barrier paint then bottom paint and s=keep an eye on it regularly. As for the paint on the hull - it appears to be multiple layers of paint (not flexible) on a flexible hull - separating from the smooth gel coat. Scrape it off delicately with a paint scraper (sanding may release lead or copper dust into the air). Place a tarp under the boat and see how much paint comes off - you may want to do the entire bottom then wet sand, clean and add 3 coats of barrier paint - then the 3 coats of bottom paint. Check carefully for micro cracks to see if there was any cracking to the hull from water in the laminate. Also look in the bilge (via the wood inspection piece in the cabin - 4" square with a hole in it). See it there is residual mold and water stains in there. Do not rush the launching - get it right before using it and you will be happier with the results and confident of her seaworthiness.