CD Typhoon Daysailer model k / cuddy version questiions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

rjnale
Location: 1982 CD Typhoon Daysailer "Typhoon Mary" Hull #97 model K Syracuse NY

CD Typhoon Daysailer model k / cuddy version questiions

Post by rjnale »

We just purchased a Typhoon Daysailer in the last couple weeks. We had been looking for a Typhoon Daysailer cuddy version for 2 years. We ended up buying a local Weekender last Aug for a price we couldn't pass up.
I would like to hear other Daysailer owners thoughts on increasing storage space and some modifications.
There is a lot of foam flotation in this boat that the Weekender didn't have or I didn't see!
The aft compartment is filled to within 1 inch of the underside of the deck. The forward locker has fiberglass or plywood walls holding back foam to with in 1" of the forward deck that creates a little alleyway of storage going forward. There seems to be foam sandwiched between the outer hull skin and inside (cockpit) skin at about 1 1/4" thick. Are the fiberglass seat compartments foam filled too?
I'm all about safety but my 2 boat cushions have more foam that the Weekender model had in the whole boat :D !
I would like to make a battery compartment, electric panel for nav lights, couple cockpit or cuddy lights and more storage for sails, anchor, safety equipment, cushions...
We've looked at the Typhoon Daysailers the folks at Finger Lakes Boating Center in Ithaca NY are creating and I don't remember this much floatation.
Would be great to hear from other owners and their experiences.
Thanks
Rick
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: CD Typhoon Daysailer model k / cuddy version questiions

Post by tjr818 »

We do not own a TY, we have a 27. That being said, I think the TY has 900# of lead ballast. Just off the top of my head I think you would need 10 or 12 cubic feet of low density foam to float that, then there is the rest, anchors, batteries, spars, motor.... If you don't have at least that much foam, I can't imagine that it would keep you afloat. That seems like a lot of storage space to be giving up for little benefit. It sounds like the PO worked at a home insulating company that had foaming equipment.
I'll be interested to hear what some of the others have to say.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Jeff D

Post by Jeff D »

I believe that all of the DS have foam as you have described - mine certainly does. The 1977 brochure introducing the DS describes it as "full foam flotation". I have always assumed that the reason that the DS includes flotation while the WE does not has more to do with the lack of a self bailing cockpit than anything else. Most of my stuff goes in covered Rubbermaid boxes or a plastic basket. I don't need more storage, just a way of keeping it in place underway. Another DS owner on this site built a rack system that spanned the forward end of the seats and allowed gear to be held in place. This is on my list - but has been for a few years.
rjnale
Location: 1982 CD Typhoon Daysailer "Typhoon Mary" Hull #97 model K Syracuse NY

Post by rjnale »

The plastic tote system is used now and works great. But getting the battery, anchor and other not frequently used item stowed with more room. I was spoiled by the cabin storage space in the Weekender. But I love the cockpit space in the Daysailer!
The racking system forward of seats sound interesting. If anyone has pictures please share.
The self bailing cockpit of the Weekender makes the case for less floatation in that version.
The "daysailer" models Finger Lakes Sailing in Ithaca NY are custom building out of old Weekenders have a battery bilge pump installed and I don't remember seeing a lot of floatation foam when I looked them last year. I was planning on an electric bilge once I figured out some custom storage options around the foam issue to stow the 50lb beast of a deep cell battery.
Thank you for confirming your Daysailer has similar floatation. That clears up a my thoughts of a prior owner having a fetish for spray foam!!
I hope other Daysailer owners will weigh in on tips and ideas they've used.
Thanks