Tinted port lites?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steven_Shore

Re: Tinted port lites?

Post by Steven_Shore »

sounds gangsta...
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

There are several shades of Gray Lexan. If you mean one of the lighter shades i think it would be fine. Too dark and I'd agree withe Steve.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

I understand the need to replace the lexan in the hatches, but why the glass in the ports? Flintz metal polish works really well for polishing the glass back to looking new.
RC James

Post by RC James »

I cut out some white lexan to fit inside the bronze portlights....I cut a rough approximation of the size and sanded down for a friction fit.
This allows me to insert the lexan and gives me privacy plus an indirect white light. Easily removed w/a knife blade/screwdriver tip.

Stow them under the settees when not in use.

Plusses-- privacy at my command/ doesn't look Gangsta/ easy to remove for unobstructed views from the cabin and a 'manufacturer's correct' cabin.

Minuses--- Shows that nasty worn TartanPlaid material to the Nines. Gonna have to replace it soon, as the non-matching beach towels distress the eyes.
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

I think with the need of seeing outside at night I would not use fixed tinted windows in the frames. I would also caution anyone who is going to cut polycarbonite or similar type plastic sheets to use a moderate speed with power saws, and a fine tooth blade, to prevent overheating/melting in the blade path, and make sure you do not leave minor cracks which will grow over time.

Regarding interior fabrics,
I could never understand the attraction of plaids in boat cushions or in RV cushions. I replaced a light beige twill long ago with a burgandy vellure which was great, and have seen emerald green, both of which were attractive with varnished teak or cherry woods. If my current blue cushions were not so freshly recovered by the PO, I would do the same with my 25. I find the same old medium blue on all the inside and outside cushions, as well as the dodger and bimini to be a little repetitive--but it works. I prefer brown outside to take one's mind off "water" color.
Bob C
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Astronomertoo wrote:....but it works. I prefer brown outside to take one's mind off "water" color.
Bob C
Up here on the Mississippi river Brown is often the "water" color :wink:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

Ha ha, I understand. I sailed for 2 years on Galveston Bay, and 2 years on Lake Ponchartrain, and both of them were often a lighter brown color. I also spent some time around the Miss River northwest and south of Minneapolis which was not so bad, but did not sail there. After finally getting back down to my home state of Florida for retirement, I think I will stay near this warmer water, with much better clarity. However, all my sailing in distant places was enjoyable, as was the comraderie.
Citrus Springs, FL
Bob C
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

GA to all

I have done something along the line of the lexan insert ONLY I used spider mat cut to fit the inside of the ports. I followed that with small suction cups. Touse them I simply dampen the suction cups and install then on the poort light glass (on the inside).

Simple and easy AND your choice of color is limited by what ever color spider mat comes in. kActually I made Rhapsody's our of left-over mat just laying around the house.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

barfwinkle wrote:GA to all

I have done something along the line of the lexan insert ONLY I used spider mat cut to fit the inside of the ports. I followed that with small suction cups. Touse them I simply dampen the suction cups and install then on the poort light glass (on the inside).

Simple and easy AND your choice of color is limited by what ever color spider mat comes in. kActually I made Rhapsody's our of left-over mat just laying around the house.

Fair Winds
Spider mat?
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Jim I don't know it by any other name. Its used to line the cabinette shelves in the kitchen. Once layed down its kinda "non-skid". Spider Mat is all I have ever called it. Having said that a google search for spider mat doesn't turn-up any thing similiar to what I have. Check out shelf liners or something.

Fair winds
Bill Member #250.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Walmart calls this stuff "shelf Liner" has holes and solid spots. You can see through it ( its opaque), but it not very clear and it lets some light in. With the suction cups at the top its easy to lift the "curtain" send see out.

I dont like walmart, but surely you can get it elsewhere!

Fair Winds
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Member #250.
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

That is what we use for nonskid, for anyplace you want things (and drinks) to not slide around in a moving vehicle, ie, sailboat, or RV.
Bob C
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
MikeD
Location: Sea Glass (1967 Pearson Ariel #414), Totoro (1977 SS23 #626)

Post by MikeD »

JohnB wrote:So... has anyone replaced their port lites with gray? How does it look from the inside? Too dark?
FWIW, I replaced my Ariel's deadlights a few years ago with gray acrylic and am very pleased with the results. It's not too dark at all and I it keeps the boat cooler on sunny days. I was steered towards acrylic by the plastics guy when I got them who said it's more scratch resistant than polycarbonate (lexan).

Mike
Sea Glass (Pearson Ariel #414)
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Acrylic vs. Polycarb

Post by Neil Gordon »

"Acrylic is shinier and polycarb is stronger. Acrylic is less expensive but easier to crack. Polycarb is more impact resisant but easier to scratch. They are both stronger and lighter than untempered glass; acrylic is 4x to 8x stronger than glass, while polycarb is about 200x stronger."

http://www.coloradoplastics.com/blog-0/ ... lic-Lucite
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698