Lazy Jack Recommendations

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Lazy Jack Recommendations

Post by John Stone »

I'd like to install lazy jacks on the Far Reach. I've been working on other projects but I am about ready to tackle it. Any Cape Dorians using them? What is your set up? How many legs? What do you like about it and what would you change? Line material? Dacron? Spectra? Covered or naked (I'm talking about the line here:-). Leave them up or pull them forward and stow on the mast. I have been considering the set up on John and Phylllis Harries boat Morgan's Cloud as depicted on their website Attainible Adventures. https://www.morganscloud.com/2013/09/03 ... ade-easy/
Thanks.
Jim Evans

Re: Lazy Jack Recommendations

Post by Jim Evans »

Hi John,

I installed EZ-Jax on my CD-33 about two years ago, and I like it a lot. Read more at http://www.ezjax.com, and I believe you'll see more comments about the system on the forum if you search. It's a nicely made system, it's easy to install, and it works really well. And I didn't need to modify my sail cover. You could probably make your own system and save a few $$, but I've never been happy with my splices of braided line - I need a class on it!

If you order a system for your boat, you just need to be patient, as it might take a while!
Jim Evans
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

John:

As you know I am not very good with this computer stuff. :( So, if the below is all screwed up, my apologies.

Several years ago, Carter Brey posted a link to diagrams/photos of the lazy jack system he installed on his sailboat. It is my recollection a lot of folks on this board adopted it. It looks really nice.

Click on this link:

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... ks#p172172

Then scroll down to Carter Brey's post on 05 November 2013. He has a link to a lazy jack system that he has used successfully.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

This response may go beyond your question, but I am a big fan of the Mack Pack combination sail cover and lazy jack system. I have installed it on both my prior CD27 and my current CD32. The company is great to deal with, and the product is top notch.

http://macksails.com/mackpack.htm
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

We are into our first year with a homemade Skip Jack version and I really like it, however I will eventually switch over to something like the Mack Pack. If only I hadn't made that nice Sailrite sail cover.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Most of my sailing has been racing until now, and we never used lazy jacks. But we usually had plenty of crew to furl the main. My boat came with a jack system and so far I like it. It doesn't matter so much in light air, but it keeps the main on the boom in a breeze. The only issues so far is that you have to pay attention to the battens when hoisting. And the line used does not last forever. One of my repair list items is to replace some of the lines that are shot.
Which leads me to another point. At 240 lbs, my 5 and a half ft bride will not be cranking me up the mast, so I will be working out some method of doing the hoist myself. A visit to REI for some climbing gear is in my near future.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

>>And the line used does not last forever.<<

Which suggests chafe on the sail, as well.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
swhfire21

Post by swhfire21 »

Our lazy jacks (CD 26) have two legs on each side of boom. When I bought the boat it had a store bought system that was completely shot (the upper lines were vinyl sheathed cables that were falling apart). I replaced all the lines using 1/4 in. braided rope and a 1-1/4 stainless ring (west marine) through which the legs are supported by the upper lines. I was in a rush last year and just used Home Depot grade rope as I knew the mast was coming back down for more work over the winter. In one summer the HD rope had become chalky and brittle, so I replaced it with marine grade line this winter.

Our lazy jacks do not interfere much with the mainsail cover (the jacks are now looser and cover goes on better than shown in pic) and are kept up all the time. Once you get the jack tension right for your set up, they are fairly bullet proof to use. I've not had too many issues with the battens hanging up while raising the mainsail on this boat (I did on our Ty though), I think the reason for this is that the legs only go about a 1/4 of the way or less up the mainsail.

I'd never want to give them up as single handed reefing and mainsail dousing are Soooooooooooo much easier with them in place.

Take care,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
Pleasant Journey, Morgan 35
Previously:
'85 CD 26, Hull No. 30
'74 Typhoon Hull No. 789
Great Bay/Little Egg Harbor, NJ
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

There are so many things I don't understand.

I almost always single hand and I don't have lazy jacks. I just dump the main as fast as I can while pushing the slack sail to alternate sides of the mast between the slugs. Once it is down, I get a couple of sail ties out and bundle it up on the boom. This usually suffices until I am secured at anchor or a dock. That is when I take the time to flake the sail, once everything is shut down.

Are you folks with lazy jacks just letting the sail fall into them and then putting a cover on? Do they just keep the sail from falling onto the deck? It just seems like a whole lot of extra lines to me. The main on Raven is just not that big that it seems like I need that much help, Steve.
tjr818

Post by tjr818 »

Steve,
Are you single handing and alone at the mast when you drop the main?
Has the wind caught the bow and blown your ship cross wind? Dumping that neatly flaked main into the drink. That is what can happen here, and when it does I am grateful for the lazy jacks.
They sure do make a mess at the mast. Halyards, topping lift, lazy jacks, mainsail tack reefing line, ...Cunningham anyone? I can hardly wait until I add a third halyard for a drifter :wink:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Single hand almost all of the time. Auto pilot or wind vane holds the bow slightly off the wind on the port side. I just drop the main and it falls next to the boom on the cabin top or at the very worst to the inside of the life lines. I gather it up with a couple of sail ties and head in. It has never tried to get into the water.

The drifter, before I had a sock for it was a different story but the main seems pretty easy to handle without dealing with even more lines, Steve.
tjr818

Post by tjr818 »

Ah...an autopilot. I often think I would enjoy having one, but then I have this vision of me in the water watching my boat hold its course and sailing away without me.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Jim Cornwell

Post by Jim Cornwell »

Still very happy with the E-Z-Jax I installed several years ago (2011?). Uncomplicated and out of the way when furled and when sailing, so no chafe. Just deploy in anticipation of striking the main. Search the archives for an earlier thread on this topic.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment and make recommendations. Much to consider. I need to get this sorted out before we have a new mainsail cover made.