Masking Tape Horror

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Walsh

Re: Masking Tape Horror

Post by Jim Walsh »

Just a word of advice. Before spending money on name brand "cleaners" just read the label on the item. Frequently they name the active ingredient, if not, they should have a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) online that provides all the safety precautions needed to use the product and lists all the ingredients. Once you know what the active ingredient is you can go to the big box store or your local home center and spend pennies on the dollar for the same thing minus the fancy graphics on the container.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Emil Maurer

Post by Emil Maurer »

Some years ago I suffered the same problem.
I contacted 3M information. The woman prescribed two products.
The first separated the paper from the adhesive backing. The second was an adhesive remover.
They did the job. I don't recall the names of the solvents. Call 3M information and explain your problem.
They know their stuff and it will come off easily and you will smile.
Emil Maurer
Emil Maurer

Post by Emil Maurer »

Canned spray-on shaving soap and WipeOut Eraser are two products worth being aware of..

From Practical Sailor
WipeOut Eraser vs. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

Nanofiber cleaning pads make light work of deck and hull cleaning.

A few months ago, we noticed that our dock neighbors were cleaning their decks with spongy-looking nanofiber pads. Ditching a multitude of cleaners for one re-usable sponge was quite appealing, so a test was in order. We pitted the original Mr. Clean Magic Eraser from Proctor & Gamble against the WipeOut Eraser made by Ralph Perez. These rectangular, nanofiber pads resemble sponges but they don’t require added cleaner, and both use a unique cleaning action to lift and trap dirt. We used them to clean dirty gelcoat and nonskid, and to tackle the waterline, rust stains, and scuffs on our test boat.

To continue reading this article you must be a paid subscriber.
Emil Maurer
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Emil Maurer wrote:Canned spray-on shaving soap and WipeOut Eraser are two products worth being aware ...
Because...?

I hope they are not causing any damage. We have used Mr. Clean Magic Erasers with great success. We have been very happy with them. I guess I had better get down to the Library.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Aware of, not, beware of. English is a tricky language, Steve.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

A little different tape, but...Denatured alcohol works for shrink wrap tape. When we packed up our boat for cross country hauling, I taped down some fittings on the aft deck with shrink wrap tape. It left a dark residue that I forgot about for years, only trying half heartedly a couple times with soap, solvents and scrubbys. I focused on it a few years ago and used denatured alcohol. It took the residue right off. I don't know how it would work on blue masking tape though.
Paul
CDSOA Member
tjr818

Post by tjr818 »

Steve Laume wrote:Aware of, not, beware of. English is a tricky language, Steve.
I am still learning, 60 plus years on.:wink:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I am the last one to criticize anyone for their command of the English language. Spell check is may savior but I didn't want you to worry about this one.

This just came to me on my FB feed.

http://www.spendwithpennies.com/how-to- ... o-remover/

It might be worth mixing up a batch, Steve.
Richard G.

Post by Richard G. »

Definitely Goof Off Professional, but definitely wear heavy duty gloves.
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

try vegetable oil (brand is not specific) - it and peanut butter (oil) are excellent solvents and have no toxic effect on skin - and they work! Wipe it on, let it sit a short while then wipe it off with a clean rag - glue should be gone. No smell, no stain and cheap! Remove the residual oil with soap and water then apply wax or other fiberglass protective coating.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Wow! Lots of great ideas out there. The boat, dirty though she is, was hauled to the yard this morning in the middle of torrential downpours. She should splash tomorrow or Friday, making it the latest launch since I've owned her. Ugh!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
tjr818

Post by tjr818 »

Dick Villamil wrote:try vegetable oil (brand is not specific) - it and peanut butter (oil) are excellent solvents and have no toxic effect on skin - and they work! Wipe it on, let it sit a short while then wipe it off with a clean rag - glue should be gone. No smell, no stain and cheap! Remove the residual oil with soap and water then apply wax or other fiberglass protective coating.
Be careful with peanut butter. :( :? We use it to bait traps for squirrels and chipmunks, both are unwelcome rodents on our boat.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

:D YUP - we had that problem as well but then they all graduated from school and went their own way! :roll: :roll:
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Joe... 3-M Adhesive Remover is THE BEST. Don't bother with anything else. the 3-M will do the job as easy as it sounds. Never again worry about tape goop.

Zeida
S/V Bandolera
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Richard G.

Post by Richard G. »

What a great opportunity to try all of the above and report back to the group which one or ones worked best for you.