Water in Rudder

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Vincent

Water in Rudder

Post by Vincent »

My apologies if this is posted in the wrong area. I have a CD33 and have noticed water drops on the bottom edge of my rudder. I want to confirm if I do have water in the rudder by drilling some pilot holes this weekend. I am eager to get the boat in the water asap. The boat was surveyed about a year and a half ago and no indication of water was noted on the report so this may be a new development. If wet, can I get away with sailing this season and trying to correct the problem over the off season, or should I go after this now? And any advice on how to correct this?
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: Water in Rudder

Post by tjr818 »

How long had the boat been out of the water?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Boat was pulled in November, on the hard since then.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I suspect most of the CDs have water in the rudder. Mine was terrible. I think water entered the rudder by migrating down along the rudder post. Over the years, as the PO had the boat hauled each winter, the water in the bottom of the rudder froze and cracked open a foot long gap along the bottom edge of the rudder. It required extensive repair. Click here and scroll down about a third of the way to see some pictures of our damage and repairs. http://www.farreachvoyages.com/projects ... sion.html
It was not a terribly difficult repair. The hardest part was dropping the rudder.

I don't know how big your rudder post is but mine is 1 1/2" in diameter.

It would take a lot of corrosion to eat through any significant amount of that much SS. It depends on your comfort level though. I have never heard of a CD rudder post snapping in half due to corrosion. Not knowing more about it, I would not drill the holes till you are ready for a full on repair. The water will just migrate back in at the original source of the leak. I'd be inclined to go sailing this summer and remove the rudder in the fall and repair it over the winter. You'll have more time, you won't feel the need to rush, and you'll do a better job.

Perhaps others will weigh in with their advice.
Last edited by John Stone on Jun 24th, '15, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Common problem.

I'd ignore it and go sailing. Make a plan to repair it when you won't be looking over your shoulder at everyone else out on the water having fun. :D
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

Sail with it and don't worry. The stock has a curve to it and it will not fall off, unless it's horribly disintegrated.

Budget for a hand rebuilt or a Foss Foam rudder in the next 5 years.
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

Question,

What is a "Foss Foam" rudder? I would like to know the source of any recommended closed cell foam which I can use in my rudder, as I must remove the old rudder from my little CD25 this winter, and rebuild it. The original FG covering is pretty much gone, and the split sides are easily visible. I also would like to know if intentionally leaving a small hole in the bottom of the rudder when complete would be a good idea to keep any captured water from freezing and splitting the rudder as noted in this subject? The hole(s) would need to be small enough to prevent seal life from going it and growing up, which has happened to me before in intake hoses and valves.
Thanks
Bob C
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Bob
New rudders . Com has a mold for the 25 rudder
They are located near you in Williston
I think they are also called foss foam and have molds for other cd rudders
Pete
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

Wow, thanks.
I know exactly where that is but did not know they had anything for CDs. It is a big lot on the corner we take for a shortcut to Gainesville FL (U of F, Gators) and is full of old male/female hull molds, and all kinds of "stuff". I will stop in one day soon. I had met one of the owners accidently over at our beach boat launch. He had a long narrow wood-epoxy home made sharpie on a trailer, and we got to chatting. They have been one of my weaknesses ever since meeting Bill Shwickert and his sharpie EGRET long ago down in the Keys, after the Woodenboat feature. Cool boat.
Thanks again.
Bob Cuberly
Moon Shine
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida