First Sail for the Far Reach

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

First Sail for the Far Reach

Post by John Stone »

Hi Everybody. After too many years of work rebuilding the Far Reach we finally had our first sail. To see more pictures or read the narrative of the sail and our observations on some of the modification we made click here to our daily log on our website.
http://www.farreachvoyages.com/dailylog ... esent.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by John Stone on Jun 23rd, '15, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
David van den Burgh

Re: First Sail for the Far Reach

Post by David van den Burgh »

That's great, John! Congrats! This has been a long time coming. Looking forward to seeing and reading more about your voyages.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

What a beauty! Congratulations, John. Fair winds.
--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
RLW

Post by RLW »

FANTASTIC! Thanks for sharing!! :!:
Rich W.
s/v CARAL (a tribute to Carl Alberg)
CD Typhoon #995 (useable project boat) (sold)
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

Until today, I never paid attention to your having removed the engine.
Although I've visited the web site for ideas, I missed your emphasis on keeping it simple and easy to maintain.

To my mind, she is the finest boat in the fleet.

Congratulations,
Jonathan
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Good luck and fair winds! The interior photo is stunning! I've been regularly visiting your blog and I'm looking foreword to your continued updates.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Ring

Post by John Ring »

Fantastic job John! Congrats on a beautiful boat, and a great first sail. Well done, very well done.

What adventures & destinations lie ahead?

Cheers,
John Ring
CD36 Tiara
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Thanks everyone. Jim, here are a couple more interior photos. We loved the way she turned out inside and out but we are even happier about the way she sailed yesterday. We are looking forward to learning more about her ways and how to get the most out of her sailing capabilities in a wide range of conditions. The list of things to do is long but all seem so much more manageable than what we seemed to face daily for the last six years . . . not something I would ever want to do again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

All I can say is wow!

I will be the first to admit that having followed your remanufacturing efforts over the past years, I was at best skeptical, and tended to think at times what you were doing was sheer heresy. However, your results speak for themselves. You have a 21st century evolution of the best of Cape Dory. Great, great job! Enjoy it.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Absolutely stunning! You have made a contribution that will live long after you. Thank you
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

John:

Beautiful inside and out. Just an outstanding effort and spectacular results :!: :!:

A small curiosity question: what is the make and model of your tender :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Roberto,
The tender is a 9' Fatty Knees we bought used in 2005. It's a real work horse. We have sailed it quite a bit and have been very impressed with its performance despite its large beam to length ratio. It rows equally well.

John Ring, our plans are to sea trial the boat locally and then determine the next step.

Thanks to all for the kind words and encouragement.
Kevin_P
Location: Former owner of "Meridian"1977 CD30C #58Milwaukee, WI

Post by Kevin_P »

Very nice. I love the woodwork in the cabin. Congratulations!
Kevin Petajan
"Vegvisir" - Young Sun 35

Former owner of "Meridian"
1977 CD30C #58
Milwaukee, WI
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I have followed your progress and generally agree with your keep it simple concept. A lovely job! Enjoy the sailing, noodling and tweaking now.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

Wow, brand new boat!
Wow, crispy beautiful new sails with original creases!

Congratulations, been following your site for a while and knew it was coming out perfect. Gorgeous interior photos too.
I have one suggestion.
I love how pretty and white the smooth curved sides of your hull look, and hate to think of all the rubbing, scraping, and scratching it is going to get coming into pilings, docks and concrete walls in your travels. Cant help but happen in real life.
I would love to see one more thing added to your boat: a strong bumper down both sides to protect that nice white paint, such as the typical large teakwood fender rail with the quarter round SS screwed to it. You can never have enough large fender balls, etc, and they can never cover enough area adequately. I have done this addition on my smaller boats and it was always worth it,
Just a suggestion for icing on the cake, and I know you must have had a reason for not incorporating it already.

Best wishes, and still following your Journey.
Bob Cuberly
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida