Alberg 22 and Cape Dory 22: offshore capabilities

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bryan062087

Alberg 22 and Cape Dory 22: offshore capabilities

Post by bryan062087 »

Hi,

Hi,

Considering purchasing an Alberg 22 (Similar to Cape Dory 22). For anyone who is familiar with these boats- How far out would one sail into the Gulf of Mexico and feel safe? Could they be used for coastal cruising or traveling from mainland Florida to the keys?

Thanks.

-Bryan
Steve Laume

Re: Alberg 22 and Cape Dory 22: offshore capabilities

Post by Steve Laume »

I think you are asking the wrong question.

It is not as much a matter of safety as one of comfort. It is also not how far you go but under which conditions you are there. A well founded CD-22 with a competent crew could weather some pretty extreme conditions. The boat would be fine but the crew would suffer, so yes it would be safe to venture far from shore. Would you want to be out there if you didn't pay attention to the weather forecasts and things got really nasty? Probably not.

I think the limiting factor is how much gear you can take with you on a smaller boat. Food water and stuff you might need or want for a cruise takes up a lot of space and it is limited on a boat that size. Fishing and diving gear, a dinghy and stuff all need to find a home or be left at yours.

Age is also a factor and I am not talking about the boat. I did a lot of stuff when I was younger that I would not care to do now.

The amount of time you intend to be away from shore is much more important than how far you are from it. Weather forecasting is very reliable three days out. It is there for five days and usually pretty good as well. If you are not in a hurry and forced to sail a schedule, there is no reason you would have to sail in any really nasty weather.

The boat would be fine or at least safe. IMO, the questions should be more about yourself and the possible crew, Steve.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Steve mentions the "and possible crew" part. Storage of stuff, food and water is a serious consideration if you're not sailing alone.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

Two yrs ago I was in a three day regatta with my 22....the winds each day were around 30.....my wife and I did and accidental jibe twice....one boat in the fleet of 50 broke a mast in two....there were several rudders broken off and someone had stitches from a boom...my poor wife said to me after that second jibe "if we ever get off this *------lake I am never doing this again....she held her word..In last yrs regatta on the last day the winds were and approaching 30...while I finished, it wore me out and I was happy to get off of the lake.....the 22 travels along with her rail at the water when the winds are up...is she safe? probably but I wouldn't be out of site of land ....it's a nice daysailer, holds her line, never rounds up and has a beautiful interior for some overnighting but thats where I'd leave it....buy a bigger boat...I've seen some cd 27 ads for 10k or so....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

That is easily the prettiest and best rigged Cd22 I have seen! My first real sailboat long ago was a well rigged Kittywake 23 which is an Alberg similar in design and ballast and never the equal to yours in any way. I raced it in local club races in Galveston Bay and later in Lake Ponchartrain and would never have gone out in 30 it winds, and would still only do so now to get home, if I still had that boat. It too was a camping boat and needed to be light for best handling, and was not practical to carry supplies for more than a few days for a close couple. I assume you had a 2nd reef in the main (I did not) and a smaller rolled up/working jib to balance the rig in relatively windy conditions. Obviously you were not stuck offshore, and you knew your boat very well. She is in fact a fine small yacht, by any standard.
BobC
Moon Shine
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

I still miss my CD22, a wonderful boat. The main reefs on the boom by turning the boom. You really need to set your sails for the worst weather you expect that day as rolling the boom to reef the main is a difficult task away from the dock in heavy weather.

I currently sail a CD25D and I race a Pearson Ensign. The Ensign is very different but very similar to the CD22, the bottoms have the same lines but the CD has much more freeboard. When it is windy, they both sail with the rail very close to the water. All of them are Alberg designs.

CD25Ds have made it Ireland and Australia on their own keels and I understand they had one Ensign Nationals with 14' waves. I'm not going far off shore in any of them. My husband has a heavy displacement 40' ketch made in England that he singlehanded from England to the States. IMHO, that is the only way to travel off shore, a heavy displacement 40 footer, at least for me anyway. I am also scratching my regatta entry when the waves near 14'.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I once had the opportunity to get an Alberg 22 named Invincible. I thought the name too prideful and I was still overseas so it did not become mine. In my younger days I would have for sure taken one alone from mainland Florida to the keys as far as the general design. Would do it today if I felt comfortable with the rig, chainplates, sails and sail controls (reefing arrangements), through hulls and rudder assembly. I would ideally beef up the seahood too or add one if there is none.

I met a guy in Australia sailing around the country in one. Lots of condensation in the cabin so his books got wet, but a fine vessel otherwise.
Paul
CDSOA Member