Meeting Up With An Old Friend

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Meeting Up With An Old Friend

Post by Oswego John »

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong with my assumption that there is some sort of an attraction that docks, marinas, even water views have on sailors both young and old.

Last evening, I was down at the waterfront checking on the lake to make sure that Mother Nature wasn't messing up. That's my job at this stage of my life. It doesn't pay much but the benefits are fantastic.

In the distance, I spotted a figure approaching me that I thought might be someone that I had known from days past. Maybe, maybe not. Things looked differently now from years gone by. As he approached, I now recognized that it was my dear old sailing friend, Puce Beard, the Pirate. In his day, Puce Beard was the meanest, most swashbuckling, cussingest, fiercest, coldhearted, blood thirstiest pirate that ever sailed the deep blue seas. He answered to no one.

Last evening Pucie (I'm one of a very small handful of people who are on a first name basis) was a completely different person. He was hobbling along with one wooden leg. He was missing his right hand and had a hook fitted on his wrist. I sort of melted a bit when I looked at the black patch he wore over one of his eyes.

I didn't want to ask him what had happened but he started to explain what had transpired, what was the cause of his physical situation. I pointed to his missing leg and he responded "Aaarrgh matey, the enemy ship got off a lucky cannon shot and blew my leg off".

Then I pointed to his missing right hand which now had a hook on it. Pucie related on how he was in a sword fight with seven "bad guys" (foul expletives galore) and one of the enemy cheated and whacked off his hand at the wrist. This ticked Pucie off so he grabbed his sword with his left hand and slew the #$%& bunch of cutthroats.

Before I had a chance to mention the eye patch, Puce Beard told me the story of what happened on the last ship that he commanded before he finally retired. I was a bit reluctant to hear of what had happened, why his eye was missing. But he proceeded to relate what caused the missing eye.

"Aye matey, I was standing on the poop deck looking aloft, checking the trim of the sails. Out of nowhere comes a seagull and takes an aerial and it lands dead center in me eye. Immediately by instinct, I went to rub the p**p out of the eye, forgetting that I had a new hook in place.

Stay tuned for the next exciting chapter of the life of one of the last of the "For real" pirates of another age.

Oh yeah, today is Saturday, isn't it.
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Meeting Up With An Old Friend

Post by Neil Gordon »

OJ,

You know, of course that peg legs were carefully measured so that the wearer could best remain upright... a little long or a little short depending on prevailing winds and preferred tack.

You know of course a Pirate's favorite letter, right?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Neil Gordon wrote:OJ,

Ummm, I'm going to hate myself later for asking.

What the hey, I'm going all in. "What is a Pirates favourite letter?"

O J

PS: Heavy groans in advance.
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote:
Neil Gordon wrote:OJ,

Ummm, I'm going to hate myself later for asking.

What the hey, I'm going all in. "What is a Pirates favourite letter?"

O J

PS: Heavy groans in advance.
Sheesh... not even a guess?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

AAARRRRRRR!!!! of course!
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I'm going say "tis the C they love".
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

And the winner is....

ROBERTO!!!

"Tis the C that pirates love!

(I know a four year old who just loves that joke!!!)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Aaayyyeee......
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

And my daughter's favorite joke around age 3:

How do you know if you are a good pirate?

You don't know, you just arrrggh!

Jeff