Source for Mainsail Covers?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob Ohler

Source for Mainsail Covers?

Post by Bob Ohler »

Has anyone had any success ordering replacment mainsail covers from a source over the net? I am sure my local canvas man would do a great job, but his quote is $600 for a sail cover on a CD30.

Thanks.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Re: Source for Mainsail Covers?

Post by moctrams »

Try these folks. Very reasonable.

http://www.shipshapecanvas.com/

Address: 732 4th St. East
Duluth, MN 55805
Phone: (218) 624-5677
Doug Hill

Post by Doug Hill »

I used Lee Sail Covers, http://www.leesailcovers.com, a couple of years ago for a new main cover on MEANDER. Don't remember the cost, but nice product and nice folks to work with. Very happy.

Fair winds,
Doug Hill
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

We made Slainte's new cover from a sailrite kit. It was my first venture into the "seamier" side of sailing. I thought it was easy. Those seams that didn't look so straight while I was sewing look perfect now that the cover is on the boat. Total cost was about $200.00. I would not hesitate to do it again and the new found confidence has me ready to try reupholstering the quarter berth cushions. :D :D
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

I can vouch for Shipshape, being very pleased with my winter cover. Another possible source is Thurston Sails in Warren RI. My sail covers all come from Thurston, and I know they have patterns for various CD models, and do high quality work.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
jreinhard

Post by jreinhard »

Mooring (1 of 1)-3.jpg
Steve at Liberty Sail in Philly did a nice cover for my CD 25. Reasonable, fast and top quality.
http://www.canvasandsails.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Reinhard
1981CD 25 "BELLAMARE"
Lake Champlain, Westport NY
joemerchant

Post by joemerchant »

tjr818 wrote:We made Slainte's new cover from a sailrite kit. It was my first venture into the "seamier" side of sailing. I thought it was easy. Those seams that didn't look so straight while I was sewing look perfect now that the cover is on the boat. Total cost was about $200.00. I would not hesitate to do it again and the new found confidence has me ready to try reupholstering the quarter berth cushions. :D :D
X2 on Sailrite. When we got a quote for all the canvas work on the boat, found it was actually cheaper to buy a machine and DIY it. First time sewing and so far as good or better than the stuff replacing. We can sell the machine when done and recoup at least 85% of the price (original plan) but think may just keep.