Raising My Typhoon on My Trailer

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim1945
Location: 1977 CDTy Weekender #1423, Toledo, Ohio. Sailing Lake Erie, CDSOA #1651

Raising My Typhoon on My Trailer

Post by Jim1945 »

Last year at launch I noted some dings in the bottom of my keel that I would like to fill. I have the marina travel lift launch my boat. Attached are pictures of my Ty on its trailer. I want to move the bow roller out so that I can lift the boat up in the back with a jack under the keel (about 18 inches forward from the aft end of the keel) and rock it on the point of the upturn of the keel. I would then place a 2X4 under the keel hopefully at about the midpoint. Then I would be able to lift the front of the boat and get another 2X4 under the front end of the keel. I would then be able to fix the dings.

Of course I would have to be adjusting the side supports so as to keep the boat from falling left or right. Jacking and adjusting the poppets would have to be done an inch at a time.

I'm asking if there are any dangers I'm not seeing here.
20150501_145405.jpg
20150501_143246.jpg
20150501_143227.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jim1945 on May 2nd, '15, 05:28, edited 1 time in total.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: Raising My Typhoon on My Trailer

Post by tjr818 »

The only concern that I have is the center support on the trailer. Is it strong enough to take those point loads? You might want to block up that center rail. You don't want to bend that rail OR tip the trailer. If you are only raising the boat two inches, I don't see much of a problem with the side supports. Don't forget to take pictures :!:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

If you move the bow roller and adjust the forward side supports the natural balance of the boat will cause the bow to lower and the stern to rise. After placing a block under the aft portion of the keel I used a engine hoist to raise the bow and block it. This is not a heavy boat.
Have A Nice Day
Jim1945
Location: 1977 CDTy Weekender #1423, Toledo, Ohio. Sailing Lake Erie, CDSOA #1651

Post by Jim1945 »

I was able to get (schedule) the launch of the Ty with the marina so that the boat could lay in the slings overnight starting about 6 PM in the evening with launch the next morning at about 9 AM. It was warm so my epoxy repair had plenty of time to cure. I still want to try to raise the boat on the trailer next spring in order to get bottom paint on the bottom of the keel. Then I can trailer launch the boat and save some dollars.

Thanks for your comments. They were both good advice.