Traveler Slide - CD 28 Main

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

adamganz

Traveler Slide - CD 28 Main

Post by adamganz »

Despite my best intentions I was not able to find time to add a new main sheet traveler system this winter. So instead of full replacement, I'm trying to find a replacement traveler slide for the existing/original 1" T traveler. I've been able to find springed slides for genoa tracks but not a simple rugged springed slide for the main. Any thoughts? Adam
Bob Lascelles

Re: Traveler Slide - CD 28 Main

Post by Bob Lascelles »

Hi Adam,

I ordered a Garhauer traveler for my 25D, which I'll be putting on before launch this year. I'll check tonight to see if the current slide is a 1.0", if so, I would be happy to send it to you.

All the best,

Bob
Bob Lascelles
CD25D Vindolanda #111
York, ME
adamganz

Post by adamganz »

Sorry for the delayed response - i keep getting bumped off the site. That would be fantastic. Let me know what you find. Adam
Bob Lascelles

Post by Bob Lascelles »

Hi Adam,

I think you may be in luck, it is a 1.0" track. The slide has the mainsheet block and cam cleat attached, I couldn't see a clevis but if you don't want the block you could probably cut it off. If you would like it, send me a PM with where to send it and I'll post it to you. Here's a picture (you can see I'm way behind the curve getting ready).

All the best,

Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob Lascelles
CD25D Vindolanda #111
York, ME
Wingaersheek II
Cape Dory 27 #250
Port Washington, WI

Post by Wingaersheek II »

Hi Adam,

Sounds like Bob may have your needs covered, but Rig-Rite still sells these parts:

http://www.rigrite.com/Hardware/Track/T ... _1_T-Track

Regards,
Jim
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Bob Lascelles wrote:Hi Adam,

I ordered a Garhauer traveler for my 25D, which I'll be putting on before launch this year. Bob
Bob:

I have been thinking about doing this for some time. At Strictly Sail in February I talked with a guy from Garhauer about the traveler and told him about the "curvature" issue. He said if I sent him my old track they could probably duplicate the curvature.

What traveler (part #) are you getting from Garhauer :?: How are you dealing with the "curvature" issue :?:

Thanks in advance.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Bob Lascelles

Post by Bob Lascelles »

Hi Robert,

First, I need to point out that I haven't received the traveler yet, but it's due to arrive shortly. (The proof will be in the pudding). I met the Garhauer distributor (Questus Marine) at the Maine Boat Builders show. They recommended the MT-3, which is what I ordered. They asked for the dimension of the bend, length of track, and hole pattern. On my boat the track is 41" long and is 1.0" higher in the middle than at the ends . Using a tape measure I measured the drop to the ends of the track from a long straight edge in contact at the center of the track (getting what's called the chord height). The track uses a 4.0" on center bolt pattern, starting 1/2" from the ends.

Rob from Questus said he would check with Guido at Garhauer to verify they can put the bend in the extrusion (so far I haven't heard in the negative). I'm guessing the curve is not really a single radius, but I think that the robust bolt pattern will take care of the variations.

All that being said, the bend is just to keep the "look" of the curved track that follows the deck camber and use the current teak pad. Functionally, I think a straight track would probably work better. So if the track couldn't be bent, all wouldn't be lost although it would require more wood working to make a new flat top teak pad.

All the best

Bob
Bob Lascelles
CD25D Vindolanda #111
York, ME
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

We provided Guido the same kind of measurements. On our 27, after removing the old traveler and teak riser, we laid a straight edge on the afterdeck and measured the drop at each end. Interestingly, although the track had holes a 4" on center, by the time Cape Dory had drilled through the teak riser the spacing of the holes through the fiberglass was more random. Guido thought it would be hard to match that random spacing, so he spaced the new holes starting 2" from the ends. That way the new holes were in between the old ones. We filled the old holes while waiting for the new traveler. He matched the bend perfectly. Don't expect to be able to bend the new traveler, that section is very stiff.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
adamganz

Post by adamganz »

Bob, Jim,

Thanks again for the replies. Bob, I'm actually looking for the small spring loaded slide stop. In your photo, there's a smaller car to the left of the main sheet car - that's the one i need to replace.

Adam
Bob Lascelles

Post by Bob Lascelles »

Hi Adam,

Ok, I have two of the stops (port & starboard). If you want them I'll mail them to you. Just PM me with an address to send them to. By the way, I don't think they are spring loaded, I believe they are threaded and screw down to engage the holes in the track.

All the best

Bob
Bob Lascelles
CD25D Vindolanda #111
York, ME
Bob Lascelles

Post by Bob Lascelles »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the info on your traveler, it's nice to hear from someone who has been through the same project. Actually I was counting on re-using the riser, so I'm hoping the 4.0" spacing will still work OK (even if the bolts are wandering a bit through the deck. On your CD 27 does the Garhauer track and traveler car clear the combing without needing the riser? I can certainly see what you mean that if the bend isn't close it will be a problem.

Thanks again.

Bob
Bob Lascelles
CD25D Vindolanda #111
York, ME
tjr818

Post by tjr818 »

In theory, if you get the spacing right you should be able to reuse the holes. If you are just a 1/4" off you will need to redrill anyway. If you do use the old holes, examine them carefully,some of ours had bare wood showing. I would think that you would want to drill them out oversize and fill back in with epoxy.
Yes the traveler clears the combing :?: (trim at the aft end of the cockpit), but then again my combing has been sanded too many times by POs in the last 35 years. It might night be as tall as some that have been treated better. Without the riser it is a VERY tight fit for the traveler car between the combing and the lazarette lid. I thought that I was going to have to fabricate a new riser,but it worked out okay. Depending on how that lid was attached in the factory it could be a close fit. I wasn't going to build a fancy tilted riser, I was just going to use a flat piece of teak, maybe 1/2" tall by the width of the traveler. That would be easy to bend in place. I had Guido make the traveler length just fit between the side combing. As it turned out the fit was so close I had to remove the endcaps that came with the traveler to get it to fit.

Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Bob Lascelles

Post by Bob Lascelles »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the additional explanation. It will be a good time to fill the holes and give the core some additional protection. I wish I paid more attention in spelling! coaming not combing :)

All the best

Bob
Bob Lascelles
CD25D Vindolanda #111
York, ME
adamganz

Post by adamganz »

Bob,

I appreciate the offer but it turns out I have two of the cars from my jib traveler. I think they're exactly what you have. Thanks again for the offer.

The search for 1" traveler spring adjusted slides continues...

Adam
tjr818

Post by tjr818 »

Bob,
We finally got out on the boat today. I tried to get a good picture of the traveler, but I didn't a very good job.

Here are two pictures,one showing the tight fit at the coaming cause by my measurement given to Guido, the other showing how tight the clearance is between the car and the hatch lid, it is not quite as bad as it looks - those screw heads are above the coaming :D :
2015-04-23 14-00-03 -0500.jpg
2015-04-23 13-59-37 -0500.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,