Refit Ideas for Instruments

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Tom Keevil

Re: Refit Ideas for Instruments

Post by Tom Keevil »

Our key to piloting with paper charts is to always know where we are by more or less continually comparing the chart with reality. If you do that, it's a snap. It is also fun. Natural ranges are very useful.

If you sail along for an hour or so, and then say "let's look at the chart and figure out where we are," a lot of things will indeed look the same, and finding your position may not be all that easy.

With all the unmarked rocks in Alaska and BC, we really must know where we are all the time.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Tom Keevil wrote:
With all the unmarked rocks in Alaska and BC, we really must know where we are all the time.
Even with the most earnest chart work those unmarked rocks must be difficult to avoid.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Tom Keevil

Post by Tom Keevil »

Jim, it's not that difficult to avoid most rocks with a reasonable watch. In the late spring and early summer you need to be more careful, but most of the summer and fall, dangerous rocks almost always are growing a crop of bull kelp that serves as a warning sign. The rocks offshore are generally visible due to the surf breaking on them.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Thank goodness you've got kelp or some other growth to tip you off. Over here we tend to look for a disturbance on the surface such as a smooth patch of water when the water surrounding it is choppy.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Squid

Post by Squid »

Last winter I bit the bullet and replaced all the old Ray Marine electronics at once. The banker left town for a week, big mistake). I opted for Garmin since I prefer their electronics over Ray Marine (personal preference). The backbone is not proprietary (NMEA 2K), easy to install yourself and run the backbone system. Garmin also has great customer support and will help you through any issue. Purchase was from the Anna boat show through "The GPS Store" also online, best prices I could find. I installed the 740S (Now 741 wireless) with a GMI 10 for the instrument repeater. No issue everything has worked perfect. I also installed a Standard Horizon 2150 with AIS receive hooked to the chart plotter. I did draw up a simple wiring diagram if you choose a similar install which I would be more than happy to share if you like. I also have pictures if you want some assistance. Of note, I did have issues with their GWS 10 which, by the way they now don't sell anymore... The vane comes off waaaaay to easy. But as discussed you have survive very well with a simple windex.

Of note... Except the old autopilot... Kept that as is.. tooooo much $.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
Keith

Post by Keith »

Hmmmmm the vane came of my GSW 10 as well. In fact I can't find it and may have to order another one. I think they have a systemic problem. Thanks for the great pictures and food for thought.
Len

Post by Len »

HI,

I am amazed at how well my new "backup" chartplotter is working. It is an IPAD running MAPTECH APP with a local raster chart (total cost $49- assuming you already own an IPAD). The "twelve" satalite fixes may be more accurate than the IPADS GPS receiver but I wont know until the boat is in the water again. It locates me fine on land. (I was told this has something to do with its furtively using WIFI signals.) The app is simple, easy to learn and use. I see no reason not to use this as a primary chartplaotter on a daysaailer.
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com
Tom Keevil

Post by Tom Keevil »

As for using an iPad as your primary chartplotter, you might want to watch this video first.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P63pHKGBoTY
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
amit

Post by amit »

Thanks everyone for all the ideas,

I finally managed to get some decent discount on electronics.

I managed to route the NMEA0183 from the radio ( GX2200) to a Garmin 44dv, and also managed to route the NMEA0183 from the radio to a RS232-wifi module.

This enables me to have AIS/GPS in the cockpit, as well as WiFi connection to my ipad app of iSailor.

Interestingly the Garmin came with a transom-mount transducer, which I mounted under the cabin settee, very near the center-line.

I was pleasantly surprised that everything worked seamlessly with about 3-4 hrs of work, most of which was cabling and drilling exercise while being a contortionist.

Even the sonar/fishfinder works. ( I was able to correlate depth with the old datamarine sounder, and charts as well)

I am attaching a few pics. Did decent speed on that sail averaging about 7.4mph.

Regards
Amit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob Ohler

Great photos Squid!

Post by Bob Ohler »

Please post more pics of your other projects!
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Nice to see someone else with labels on the gearshift!

Jeff
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

About radar:
I am from Florida where The water is only truly cold after you put it in a glass with scotch or rum, and add ice. I have also spent a fair amount of time in the north shore US areas of Lake Superior, on which a clammy fog can roll in at any time, including on the 4th of July! Many boats up there have the stern quarter post or back stay swing with the radar antenna for very good reason. If you sail much at night, or in cold water, you will find times it will be very helpful, even if you are an excellent, and experienced pilot. But they are expensive, and incredible for peace of mind when entering a harbor channel on a bad, or rainy night.
BobC
Moon Shine
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida