renting out my Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

pjust

renting out my Typhoon

Post by pjust »

I may be renting out my house in Maine for a week or two this Summer and a potential tenant is interested in renting my Typhoon along with it. He's an experienced sailor (including with a Typhoon) and the friend of a friend, so I'm not too nervous about renting my baby out, but I haven't the foggiest idea of how much to ask. :? Any suggestions?
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
Jim Walsh

Re: renting out my Typhoon

Post by Jim Walsh »

Perhaps the price of a whole loss policy (for a week or two). If the worst happens and it is discovered that you allowed use as part of a property rental agreement I'll wager your current boat insurer would balk at paying a dime.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Peter, that sounds like a terrific question. As for liability, I'd check with Boat US if you have a policy with them. The price of disaster would certainly help. Their experience base is huge.
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Uffda

Post by Uffda »

Watch out for the rocks around the clam ledges and Andrews Island.
steveg

Post by steveg »

I would not do it. Here in Michigan the owner is responsible for the negligence of others using the boat. Your regular insurance policy most likely does not cover you in a commercial renting arrangement. Not to mention the fact that no one takes care of your stuff as well as you do. You did say it was your baby right?
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?
pjust

Post by pjust »

Uffda wrote:Watch out for the rocks around the clam ledges and Andrews Island.
No kidding! The rocks just west of the Clam Ledges do kind of sneak up on you. And I'm still trying to work up the nerve to navigate the passage between Flag Island and Bar Island on my own. Maybe I shouldn't rent her out after all. :?
Peter Just
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
Uffda

Post by Uffda »

I'd hate to see that pretty little boat all banged up.
tom ricks

This guy charges $500 for a Typhoon with house

Post by tom ricks »

I didn't even know this place was a rental. Great location for boat lovers--I think it overlooks the Tiffany-like collection of boats in Center Harbor, ME, next to Joel White's yard.

http://rentals.daagy.com/vacation-renta ... C06-H1-427

I also think there is a Typhoon or Cape Dory of some sort that rents at the Buck's Harbor Marina.
pjust

Post by pjust »

Thanks, Tom. That gives me a place to start.
Peter Just
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Old Quarry in Stonington rents out a Ty.

http://www.oldquarry.com/
joemerchant

Post by joemerchant »

Your homeowners is always your backup for liability. BUT, your homeowners policy may not cover renting out your home. In some cases, they can endorse the policy to cover the rental without having to purchase rental or landlord policy. Contact your homeowners agent and get it in writing.

If your homeowners is endorsed to cover your property for rental, then ask about having your boat endorsed onto your homeowners.

Keep in mind a key exclusion in many policies is that "doing business on premise" Normally, anything you are doing as a business requires a business policy.

Again, contact your local agent as each company and State may be different.

My opinion, If you are covered, don't have a separate agreement for the boat, but include it on the rental agreement and price for the house.
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

Sorry to be late chiming in on this one.

We rent out both our homes a great deal. We live in New Hampshire for the winter and rent it in the summer, and we live in Nova Scotia for the summer and rent it when we're off cruising.

Some insurers are used to rentals, some aren't. We use USAA for the New Hampshire property and they seem to be very savvy to renting and are competitive in their pricing. We had a claim last year and they were easy to work with. They are limited to military and vets.

Also, some insurers will allow you to rent a certain number of weeks (typically four) without getting a landlords policy (which can cost a lot more - $1,000 in our case). We do this most summers.

On the boat, I looked into chartering our CD 31 last year and found the insurance cost prohibitive in both the US and Canada. If you really want to charter, put it with a charter company.

Happy spring outfitting, friends!

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats