Typhoon Cockpit Cover

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

wsfanning
Location: S/V "Muse" '78 Typhoon #1524, Sandusky Sailing Club, Sandusky, OH

Re: Typhoon Cockpit Cover

Post by wsfanning »

Nope, sorry Skeep this is the typhoon boat cover thread. That's another thread you were thinking about.

We're awaiting your finished product!
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Yeah, I sort of remembered it, thanks for nudging me. The price probably put me in shock for a week or so. It's definitely going to deflect the pine tree debris, and birds, and weather along with that unruly southern summer sun. But at what price, my oh my. It's on the fat side north of 700 already.
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

I started a thread called Half Hull Model to help keep this thread on topic.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

Great news!

The cover has arrived, all 23 pounds of it, at my door yesterday. Now I will chronicle installing it on Baggy Wrinkles! I will post most of my photos on my Blog but will provide a few here too. I don't need to duplicate here and there you see... :wink:

I think this is really exciting because for the Sailor's Tailor, this is the FIRST full cover for the Typhoon Weekender. They also now have measurements based on Baggy Wrinkles for the overall Typhoon dimensions so other abbreviations of the design are now possible for those of you who want a mooring cover or something less than the "full monty."

More to follow.....
Skeep
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

Anyone seen the boom tents they are pushing over on sailing anarchy. Com. I'M holding of on mine for the time being. Think I might make one simular to that design with inflatable cross members. I think it will be easer to fold up and store on the Typhoon.
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

Great news. Cover has arrived. The prototype for the "on the hard" cover from Sailor's Tailor is here

and the view from the stern:

The quality is very impressive. Once I saw the detail I was certain that this sort of thing was way way over my head. I am putting some detail photos of the snaps, zippers, vents, and ties. For here, I am just putting the overall view. The cover finds its tension by the pull from the mast to the bow-plate wrap. The other tension for the "tent" over the cabin and cockpit comes from the topping lift holding up and the tie-downs securing it to the trailer. I'll have find my habitual connections for it, but it arrived just before the awful southern ice storm which hit last night.

It's important to see that there are two zipper entries, one fore and one aft on starboard. Entry can be gained easily via a ladder. Sure, this may be adaptable to particular needs because Sailors Tailor did not have the dimensions for the Weekender on the shelf. Now, they do. It was pricey at about $750, but I'm pretty stoked about its protection of the teak and its capability to keep the boat clean. My environment is natural, and thus, dirty.

I'm pretty happy about the quality. I had to add some whiskey to the price to get it down, but once I saw what was on the dory, I thought my gosh, I wish I had done this sooner. I'm thinking of all the time I'm saving from doing teak parts, deck cleaning, brushing, stain removing, and deterioration by that severe summer sun!

And, the best reason, the 1st Mate is happy!

Yay
Skeep
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Very nice, good looking cover too :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

Looks very nice. What material did they use?
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

That is their grey poly. It is quite sturdy. I'll be sticking some pics on baggy wrinkles blog soon showing some closeups.
Skeep