To all the Northeast Brethern

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

barfwinkle

To all the Northeast Brethern

Post by barfwinkle »

Please be safe in the coming days and as Neil G and Joe M have stated, put a reef in and/or hank on the trysail!

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: To all the Northeast Brethern

Post by tjr818 »

And be sure to lock that prop :!: :wink:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

barfwinkle wrote:Please be safe in the coming days and as Neil G and Joe M have stated, put a reef in and/or hank on the trysail!

Fair Winds
Thanks for the kind words.

We're sufficiently inland to not be affected by storm surge and the like. Coastal communities will get hit hard; some have been evacuated and in anticipation of flooding, power has been cut off. The last high tide was reported as uneventful; the next one might not be!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

OJ would probably feel at home: strong wind, temp. at 19 degrees, blowing snow, probably 2 ft. on the ground and still falling.
--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Just FYI... all's fine in Brookline.

Marshfield's sea wall was breached, i.e., the waves lifted up huge masses of reinforced concrete.

Scituate's flooded, with a report of a car floating downtown.

4 Houses on Nantucket have power, otherwise, no.

99% of Provincetown without power.

Stay tuned.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Jeff D

Post by Jeff D »

My house is open to the Northeast (Marion, MA) and the winds have been tough - sustained 30 - 40 with repeated gusts to 70. Its hard to say how much snow has fallen - in many places the grass is clear while in others we have drifts more than 8' high. While it is not done it could have been much worse - we lost power for only about two hours (and we have a generator). For perspective the deck is 10' off the ground.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Jeff,
I keep getting robo-calls from NStar, which provides power to my house on Buzzards Bay. They're losing lots of power there, and I can't get down the Cape to check on the property. Hope things don't freeze up there. Good to hear that you've got a generator.
Stay warm,
--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Klem

Post by Klem »

Unfortunately it looks like the tall ship Providence fell over while on the hard. http://www.630wpro.com/2015/01/27/tall- ... ter-storm/

We lost power at around 7:49 last night and got it back on a few hours later. Since then it hasn't been bad but we are not right on the coast. I just changed the belt in the snowblower because the old one was slipping. I hope that the storm surge didn't get too high, there are a lot of boats in fairly low lying areas (including ours).
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Wind still screaming here with a couple of feet of snow.
Had a gust early morning of 70!
No loss of power so far and pot roast in the crockpot for dinner
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

The news regarding the Providence is just terrible. I hope the Mayflower is alright at Mystic Seaport. I'm in a fairly well protected spot in Noank but I wont feel better till I check on my boat. These northeaster's are brutal. Few people realize they can produce hurricane strength winds.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

It is a shame about the Providence. The Mayflower should be just fine as it is in a pretty well protected site and Mystic Seaport does things right. Spicers does a good job too, so Orion should be fine. Not having the mast stepped is huge in times like these.

We are just sitting this one out until it stops then we will begin to plow ourselves out from better than two feet of snowfall. Most of this occurred overnight. No loss of power, just a lot of snow.

Now as long as Raven made it through alright, all is well in my world, Steve.
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Now as long as Raven made it through alright, all is well in my world, Steve.[/quote]
Steve
Is Raven still in the water?
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Take heart Northeastern Brethern. In hopes of cheering yu up here is a pic of Rhapsody's first sail in 14 months and her first salt spray since June 2009. Winds 12-14 nts N-NW and temp 68 degrees.

Seriously, we hope all are well (people first then boats). You are in our thoughts.

Fair winds and all our best wishes!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Member #250.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

pete faga wrote:.

Now as long as Raven made it through alright, all is well in my world, Steve.
Steve
Is Raven still in the water?[/quote]

Yes she is and at least I don't have to worry about her falling over. She stays in and gets a short haul in June or July every two years. There has never been any significant ice in Noank and she seems to do just fine. I do need to get down there and check on her as soon as I dig myself out here. I am hoping someone else shovels the dock and I will clear her decks, Steve.
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

barfwinkle wrote:Take heart Northeastern Brethern. In hopes of cheering yu up here is a pic of Rhapsody's first sail in 14 months and her first salt spray since June 2009. Winds 12-14 nts N-NW and temp 68 degrees.

Seriously, we hope all are well (people first then boats). You are in our thoughts.

Fair winds and all our best wishes!
That's quite an angle of heel for "Winds 12-14 ..."
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698