Typhoon Cockpit Cover

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

wsfanning
Location: S/V "Muse" '78 Typhoon #1524, Sandusky Sailing Club, Sandusky, OH

Re: Typhoon Cockpit Cover

Post by wsfanning »

@ Chris B, and Skeep
How are these projects coming?
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

Oh yeah that is on the back burner for now.... Winter is coming though so soon I'll get back to it.
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

I am posting this to re-engage the topic of the Ty Weekender Cover. No, no cover yet. I am still in the process of having it made by Sailor's Tailor. So, wsfanning had mentioned this to me in a private message, cause he'd lost track of the thread, and to be honest, so had I. Yet the bottom line of the matter is that it is not yet ready.

Again, to re-hash, the cover which I am having designed will hang over the boom, reach to fore and aft, pull tight below the rub rails, accomodate the winches popping out, and include a zipper on the starboard quarterdeck for ease of entry. This cover is being designed to cover the entire surface of the Ty and teak rails.

So, as anxious as I am to cover my vessel during this winter season in the South, I will continue to wait for my invoice and let you all know when this product arrives. Photos will accompany my adventure as usual.
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
wsfanning

Post by wsfanning »

Great to see this again Skeep. Thanks. Once I see yours, I'm thinking with some minor modifications it might work for overnighting.

Now we just have to see what Chris B. is up to!
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

Got distracted by a shiny half hull model and decided to move that project to he top of the list.
Sincerely,

Chris B.

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
wsfanning

Post by wsfanning »

@ Chris B, if it's of a Typhoon, I for one would love to see it! I've actually contemplated making one this Winter.
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

You can see my progress on my blog the link is below in the signature.
Sincerely,

Chris B.

tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: Half Hull Model

Post by tjr818 »

ariasis wrote:Got distracted by a shiny half hull model and decided to move that project to he top of the list.
If you haven't started yet, I have one piece of advice;
Cut all your lifts to the same width ( one half of the beam, at least ) then cut the profile BEFORE you cut the water lines.
I am now trying to figure out how to cut the profile :?
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

@tjr818

Thanks. I think we are going at this from very different perspectives. Looks like your half hull will be solid all the way through. I'm planning a hollow hull. Very interesting. take.
Sincerely,

Chris B.

tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

ariasis wrote:@tjr818

Thanks. I think we are going at this from very different perspectives. Looks like your half hull will be solid all the way through. I'm planning a hollow hull. Very interesting. take.
Plank and frame :?: please post a few pictures. I'll post more, if I can make real progress.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

Here is a picture of what I finished this morning. There are more up on my blog linked here. http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

Sincerely,

Chris B.

Skeep

Post by Skeep »

Well let's get back on "thread" about Typhoon Covers! Albeit I'm very impressed with both of the half-hull projects underway. I guess the cold weather does strange things to the human psyche.

Have confirmed with Sailors Tailor that the full cover is now underway. Pricing is moving higher rather than lower. But for all of the Typhoon Weekenders, just to summarize:

The cover being produced can have variations of course. However, it is a full cover with a draw cord below the rub-rail with an entrance zipper running from (on my boat) the starboard quarter to the boom tang, which is also being held by the topping lift. The preference for topping vis-a-vis pig-tail is mine. You may opt for either. Measurements were the big thing for this cover since there there is no existant cover for the Typhoon Weekender. I find this incredible but true.

So, the gang at Sailors Tailor are now attacking the project. I will let you know the results as they come in.
Skeep
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
wsfanning

Post by wsfanning »

Yes, cool diversions but I'm seriously interested in these covers. Mine will be more for overnighting but it can't hurt to steal a few details , eh?
Steve Laume

Re: Half Hull Model

Post by Steve Laume »

tjr818 wrote:
ariasis wrote:Got distracted by a shiny half hull model and decided to move that project to he top of the list.
If you haven't started yet, I have one piece of advice;
Cut all your lifts to the same width ( one half of the beam, at least ) then cut the profile BEFORE you cut the water lines.
I am now trying to figure out how to cut the profile :?
image.jpg
I made a few half models of Raven a couple of years ago. When building a half model with lifts, you do not need to cut out the profile.

What I did was to, very accurately cut the profile on a piece of 1/2" birch plywood. I even went as far as putting edge banding on it because I knew I was going to be using it numerous times. Once you have the profile form made up, flatten the back of your glued up lifts and screw them to the plywood. After you have the lifts mounted you can run it on a router table with a flush cutting bit that will follow the form. If you can't do that then you need to work very carefully towards the edge when you are carving; after it had been mounted. After routing the shape I screwed a piece of square stock to the back of it to make it easy to clamp into a vise. Now you have a way to hold the model and the outline to work to. Carve away the shape and end the edges, exactly at edge of the form and you have your profile shape. Having this backer also protects the delicate edges of your model.

I need to put together some pictures and start a new thread on this but that may never happen, so sorry for the additional high jack, Steve.
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

Ok, well I guess it's back to half hulls instead?.....
Skeep