Winter Cover

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JWSutcliffe

Winter Cover

Post by JWSutcliffe »

I don't often offer up product endorsements, but at the risk of offending anyone, I want to provide this morsel of information. IF you are looking for a winter cover (and please, don't use this as a starting point to debate the relative merits of different options), then let me suggest you consider ShipShape covers. Despite literally being in the back yard of the other big name purveyor of winter covers in New England, a 2 month wait resulted in no response to my request for a quote. In contrast, Jim Welinski at ShipShape Canvas provided a quote within days of my request, answered my questions quickly, and shipped a perfectly fitting cover within 5 days. Bravo and thank you to them.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Jim Walsh

Re: Winter Cover

Post by Jim Walsh »

Customer satisfaction is a great thing. :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

I totally agree. The cover on Gabbiano made by Shipshape fits great and they work with you to get all the dimensions correct. Folks at the harbor are really impressed with these folks and I'm sure they will get more business from the folks at Flag Harbor.
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

JW, Moctrams, do you mind if I ask approximately what you paid for your winter cover? I see one of you has a CD30 and the other a CD31.

Thanks.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

The price was $1500 including bowsprit cover. Great people to deal with.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

moctrams wrote:The price was $1500 including bowsprit cover.
Wow! That's significantly less than I paid from the other major purveyor of canvas boat covers in New England.
However, I found the folks at the other company (OK, it's Fairclough) easy to deal with and very responsive when I had a stupid question. (They were not dismissive, and they didn't acknowledge that my question was dumb.)

This is the first year that I've had a canvas cover--and it certainly is an improvement over shrinkwrap or tarps thrown over a poorly made wooden frame.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

We used a place called The Canvas Store. The cover is now in it's fifth Mid-West winter, it has endured high winds, ice and 12" snow falls with no problems. We have used it with the boat on the hard and in the water wintering in the frozen Mississippi. We did pay a bit more than the you, but we have been very happy with it. I would buy from them again, however following a hint from another post, perhaps a "Berry" color would be better. Where DO they find those berries in the Winter :?:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Joe Myerson wrote:
moctrams wrote:The price was $1500 including bowsprit cover.
Wow! That's significantly less than I paid from the other major purveyor of canvas boat covers in New England.
However, I found the folks at the other company (OK, it's Fairclough) easy to deal with and very responsive when I had a stupid question. (They were not dismissive, and they didn't acknowledge that my question was dumb.)

This is the first year that I've had a canvas cover--and it certainly is an improvement over shrinkwrap or tarps thrown over a poorly made wooden frame.

--Joe
I have to agree with you Joe, I'm on my fourth season and still very satisfied. I especially appreciate the waterline to waterline protection.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

About $1700 including shipping, storage bag, and attachment lines. Worth every penny.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

And I might add, it was a wonderfully cathartic experience dumpstering the homebuilt wood frame and well worn (5 years of service) Harbor Freight plastic tarps! Not to mention the appreciative comments from my usually supportive wife who was tired of the yearly covering effort.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Skip,

What are you now using for a support frame?

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

OJ:

The new cover uses the main and club booms as the support structure. I added a 2 x 4 boom crutch to take the load off the main topping lift.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

Any chance that we can get some photos of these winter covers installed on the boat?
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Here are two of Slainte. The first is in the water in 2010. The second is on the hard in 2014 (before bottom job).
Cover 2010.jpg
Cover 2014.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Great photos thanks, I'm drooling!

Just wondering do you always leave the cover on when in the water? When docked though, I'd guess! :)
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide