Documentation Endorsements

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Documentation Endorsements

Post by tjr818 »

I am finally getting around to having Slainte Documented :D However I am not sure which Endorsement(s) to apply for. Can anyone give me some idea? Recreational? Coastwise? or Registry? What do they mean?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
barfwinkle

Re: Documentation Endorsements

Post by barfwinkle »

Hey Tim. Sandra & I hope you & yours had a wonderful Christmas

I'm not positive but I think you need to check "Recreational" (at least that's what Rhapsody's says) . Someone will chime in soon with a certain answer.

Fair winds, Happy New Year & hope to share another round this season.
Bill Member #250.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Positively "recreation". :wink:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Tim:

I assume you are in the process of filling out the USCG document entitled "Application For Initial Issue, Exchange, or Replacement of Certificate of Documentation"; CG #1258.

At paragraph "H", Endorsements For Which Application is Made, check "RECREATIONAL". At paragraph "I", Primary Service, again check RECREATIONAL".

If you have any additional questions, etc., please do not hesitate to send me a PM, an email or call the house. My number is in the directory. If you do not have a copy of the directory, PM or email and I will provide it.

All I ask is that you not give my phone number to OJ. He was calling me at 3 or 4 in the morning asking (begging) me to take "Fifi" off his hands. It was embarrassing. I told him I changed my phone number (I did not) and he seems to believe this. No calls in 2 months. :D :wink: :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
CD_Sailor

Post by CD_Sailor »

tjr818 wrote: ... having Slainte Documented ... not sure which Endorsement(s) to apply for ... What do they mean?
Look at "FAQ Question 6" on this page:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/nvdcfaq.asp#06

If you would like the "home study" version, try this:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2010-t ... bpartB.xml
Larry McAnally

Post by Larry McAnally »

Why Document? My document is expiring and the CG is now charging to renew. My state(Florida) requires state registration. I also intend to change my vessel name. What advantage is there to documenting?
Larry McAnally
CD36 CHANTY
CD27 WINDCHASER
Past Fleet Captain Central Gulf Fleet
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

The main benefit of documentation versus numbering, is that a documented vessel may be the subject of a Preferred Ship Mortgage under 46 United States Code Chapter 313. In practical terms, this means that lending institutions regard a documented vessel as a more secure form of collateral. For larger and more expensive boats, it may be easier to obtain bank financing if the boat is documented rather than numbered.

Another benefit is that the certificate of documentation may make customs entry and clearance easier in foreign ports. The document is treated as a form of national registration that clearly identifies the nationality of the vessel.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
CD_Sailor

Post by CD_Sailor »

Jim Walsh wrote: ... the certificate of documentation may make customs entry and clearance easier in foreign ports. The document is treated as a form of national registration that clearly identifies the nationality of the vessel.
Having sailed foreign for just under 30 years and encountered many unusual jurisdictions and requirements, I don't recall a single instance where authorities preferentially requested a US state registration in preference to a USCG document. Obviously this is of little concern to those who sail US waters exclusively. OTOH I agree that documenting smaller vessels is sometimes an act of self-validation rather obvious utility.